Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster match

Options
  • 30-03-2010 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there's a pub in kilkenny opening to show this match on good friday. Langton's and set have no mention of it on their websites, nor does kilkenny rugby club. Suprisingly Benji has designed a site for the tholsel yet!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nope no pubs open. Thank you catholics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There is a glimmer of hope, news report last night said some pubs around the country would be opening for food and minerals. I know this is like going to a brothel for a hug but if it's the big screen your after someone may do it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Langtons won't be showing it. It's open but only until 8 if I remember correctly.

Definitely will not be in SET. There's some fashion weekend on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Bloody religious zealots. whatever happened to seperation of church and state...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Bloody religious zealots. whatever happened to seperation of church and state...........

What do you mean, "whatever happened to seperation of church and state"? This is Ireland, not the USA. Hadn't you noticed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Our society is increasingly secular, now more than ever, but regardless of religious interpretations or origins (most of these feasts are derived from pagan beliefs anyway) surely we can have one day a year without alcohol, just to prove that we can do it?

Or maybe we'll just buy a flagon of Devil's Bastrd on Thursday and go bushin' down the 'nal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you're really desperate you can buy alcohol on the trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

or in thomond park . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

aren't hotels allowed serve as well? if so book yourself into a hotel thatll be able to show the match :P

Wishful thinking on my part with the "separation of church and state", even in America its an empty statement.
    I don't understand why those practicing catholics can't abstain from alcohol using will power. surely it would be a better test of ones faith to not drink when its available than have the church force you to adhere.
    The contradictions of organised religion astound me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Totally agree Frankie two shoes, it's there rite, they practice and leave the others unaffiliated to them choose their own rites.

Silly country, it would drive you to drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just don't drink for a day..... or buy from a supermarket on Thursday.....

catbear wrote: »
    Silly country, it would drive you to drink!

badum tish

I'm a catholic so it doesn't bother me if the state is a catholic one or secular. When I was living in Switzerland you have to pay tax to your church or declare yourself an aethiest, which I couldn't do. It's one out of two days of the year the pubs are closed, people shouldn't moan about it. I also think everyone who works Sundays should get double or triple pay, there really should be a day of the week when people can get together and play sport or whatever.

badum tish

I'm a catholic so it doesn't bother me if the state is a catholic one or secular. When I was living in Switzerland you have to pay tax to your church or declare yourself an aethiest, which I couldn't do. It's one out of two days of the year the pubs are closed, people shouldn't moan about it. I also think everyone who works Sundays should get double or triple pay, there really should be a day of the week when people can get together and play sport or whatever.
    My personal problem with it is that I am an athiest and am being forced to adhere to a law made by catholics for catholics.

My personal problem with it is that I am an athiest and am being forced to adhere to a law made by catholics for catholics.

Two days out of 365, it won't kill you, most other facilities are open anyway. Another point about good Friday, I don't drink much so again it doesn't affect me. My point about the Sundays was geared towards most people having a day off at the same time.

Two days out of 365, it won't kill you, most other facilities are open anyway. Another point about good Friday, I don't drink much so again it doesn't affect me. My point about the Sundays was geared towards most people having a day off at the same time.
    Would you be ok with people being forced to obey other religious laws even twice a year, like women being forced to wear bhurka's?

It wont effect me as I'll be hitting the offie thursday :D

The weird thing is, I'm not even that pushed about drinking friday. I just wanna watch the match. I don't have a subscription to setanta sports (got rid of it 2 years ago 'cos i wasn't happy with the service), and watching it streaming online is hit and miss. I can't get to the match (although I was offered tickets) as I'm working friday, so what do ya do? thanks to some invented date carried over, as someone said, to fit in with a pagan feast, its decided that we're too weak as a people to decide for ourselves whether or not we can visit a pub!!!

Would you be ok with people being forced to obey other religious laws even twice a year, like women being forced to wear bhurka's?

It wont effect me as I'll be hitting the offie thursday :D

I've lived in a few different countries and I'd never move to an Arab state because of the significant cultural difference. I would expect people of different cultures to respect our own cultures when they are living here. I do think there is an argument for opening on Good Friday for people such as yourself, it is up to us not to drink, we can't eat meat either but I'd say McDonalds will be open some how. You won't find me supporting the argument to open the pubs but you won't find me supporting the argument to keep them closed either.

The weird thing is, I'm not even that pushed about drinking friday. I just wanna watch the match. I don't have a subscription to setanta sports (got rid of it 2 years ago 'cos i wasn't happy with the service), and watching it streaming online is hit and miss. I can't get to the match (although I was offered tickets) as I'm working friday, so what do ya do? thanks to some invented date carried over, as someone said, to fit in with a pagan feast, its decided that we're too weak as a people to decide for ourselves whether or not we can visit a pub!!!

If Eircom is your provider you can watch it online as opposed to using a dodgey site.

not with eircom:(

• Advertisement

So what's good for you is good for everyone?
    If people want to be good catholics, buddhists, mormons, whatever, do whatever they want to do. But get this straight, you are not me and you should not have any power over whichever liquid I wish to consume on any given day, at any given hour, etc...

That kind of thinking is for sheep.

BTW, I don't drink much either, but I respect other peoples right to do whatever they want as long at it doesn't hurt anyone else and the only risk falls on the doer.

good point, well said. catbear

not with eircom:(

Surely there has to be one publican intelligent enough to open the doors on Good Friday even just for food and minerals.

langtons has some sort of fashion thing on..........

No my point is, it doesn't effect me so it's not an issue for me, in fact I don't even know why I brought it up in the first place.

Ok, i hear you. Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

If people want to be good catholics, buddhists, mormons, whatever, do whatever they want to do. But get this straight, you are not me and you should not have any power over whichever liquid I wish to consume on any given day, at any given hour, etc...

That kind of thinking is for sheep.

BTW, I don't drink much either, but I respect other peoples right to do whatever they want as long at it doesn't hurt anyone else and the only risk falls on the doer.

It's not up to Captain Havoc to decide what you consume and when. However, it IS up to the State to do so. That's why we have, for instance, laws on drink-driving - and laws on closing time as well. We allow the State to impinge on certain things we'd like to do in return for a degree of social order.

The problem with respecting other people's right "to do whatever they want as long it doesn't hurt anyone else" is that some people are incapable of doing whatever they want WITHOUT hurting others - and in those cases, inevitably, the risk falls on innocent people. The laws of this country are designed with the common good in mind, not the good of the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Purry Cat wrote: »
    It's not up to Captain Havoc to decide what you consume and when. However, it IS up to the State to do so. That's why we have, for instance, laws on drink-driving - and laws on closing time as well. We allow the State to impinge on certain things we'd like to do in return for a degree of social order.

The problem with respecting other people's right "to do whatever they want as long it doesn't hurt anyone else" is that some people are incapable of doing whatever they want WITHOUT hurting others - and in those cases, inevitably, the risk falls on innocent people. The laws of this country are designed with the common good in mind, not the good of the individual.

That still doesn't answer the question why pubs are not allowed to sell alcohol on Good Friday.

In my opinion it's a ridiculous law that has no place in a modern democracy. It is promoting the religious beliefs of one group of people to the laws of the state, which govern everyone, regardless of religious affiliation.

The sooner this backward law is corrected, the better. By the way, I wouldn't regard myself as a heavy drinker, but I do object to being told what days I can and can't drink for no good reason but to appease some people of a particular religious persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Closing pubs on good Friday is nothing to do with the common good though, it's a church holiday.

Drink driving fair enough, everybody knows there has to be laws to stop that, good Friday is a completely different matter, there's plenty of people who aren't christian in this country who are prevented from having a pint or whatever by the church.

The whole "it's only one day" argument completely misses the point aswell. What if it was against the law to eat meat on good Friday too, "ah sure, it's only one day"; that's irrelevant.

Anyway, it's only a matter of time before the law is changed, the pubs in Limerick have started the ball rolling.

• Advertisement

JoseJones wrote: »
    Closing pubs on good Friday is nothing to do with the common good though, it's a church holiday.

Drink driving fair enough, everybody knows there has to be laws to stop that, good Friday is a completely different matter, there's plenty of people who aren't christian in this country who are prevented from having a pint or whatever by the church.

The whole "it's only one day" argument completely misses the point aswell. What if it was against the law to eat meat on good Friday too, "ah sure, it's only one day"; that's irrelevant.

Anyway, it's only a matter of time before the law is changed, the pubs in Limerick have started the ball rolling.
    Oh the old looks of horror ordering a breakfast roll/ham roll back in school. Used to be priceless.

"you know you can't eat that right"
    "eh why not?"
    "It's good friday"
    "It's a better friday with some pig":D

Advertisement