Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster match

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

zootroid wrote: »
    That still doesn't answer the question why pubs are not allowed to sell alcohol on Good Friday.

Because that's the way Irish law has developed, firstly under the Brits and then since independence. It's not all that long ago since there were no pubs open or newspapers printed in Britain on Good Friday, for instance. Or try getting a late drink in Boston - you won't, thanks to New England's Puritan heritage.

Am not objecting to your point - or anyone else's here - about the pubs being closed on Good Friday. Sooner or later the law will be changed. But certain Irish laws arise inevitably from national culture and ethos. Complain about it all you like, but recognise this fact too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I suggest you reread my post Purry Cat, you might may find that in no way have I condoned behavior like you outlined in your rebuttal.

The law of this country does not protect anyone from stupidity. I took no part in the property mania, I never loaded up on bank shares, I didn't secure my future with property investments etc... yet the state is acting against me, diverting my tax away from services I need to pick up the losses of the very banks that are walking away free and laughing at you and me.

Purry cat, grow up. no one can protect us from morons, epecially when then think they're doing the right thing. The right thing was to let the banks fold, people must come first, bad business practice must not be rewarded. The state, which you say should protect us is loading up the gamblers with our wealth to go blow it all again.

I don't care how indignant this post may make you feel, I've had it with the morons in power and the morons who elect them. That goes for all the parties. No one marched for me when the second most vital need after food was hijacked by developers, their bought politicians, their bought unions, and every moron who believed that they entitled to money for nothing.

When Jesus asked by his disciples what they should do if they came to a place where the people were hostile to their message and would not listen, he said leave that town and wipe their dust from your feet, and walk on.
    Live and let live.

BTW
    What I don't get about Good Friday is that the whole significance of easter is the resurrection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

catbear wrote: »
    I suggest you reread my post Purry Cat, you might may find that in no way have I condoned behavior like you outlined in your rebuttal.

The law of this country does not protect anyone from stupidity. I took no part in the property mania, I never loaded up on bank shares, I didn't secure my future with property investments etc... yet the state is acting against me, diverting my tax away from services I need to pick up the losses of the very banks that are walking away free and laughing at you and me.

Purry cat, grow up. no one can protect us from morons, epecially when then think they're doing the right thing. The right thing was to let the banks fold, people must come first, bad business practice must not be rewarded. The state, which you say should protect us is loading up the gamblers with our wealth to go blow it all again.

My dear man, I'm not for a second suggesting you condoned bad behaviour! And I couldn't agree more with your observations on the current state of chassis we're in! My basic point - and apologies if I wasn't clear enough about this - is that the laws of a country arise to at least some extent from the culture and ethos of that country. Hence the pubs being shut on Good Friday in what is, or at any rate was, an overwhelmingly Catholic country.

For the record, not only would I have happily allowed Anglo go to the wall, I'dve shot the chief executives and boards of the major banks.

That is all.

We probably agree about most things.
    I see your point about how the laws came to be and how they will likely change. I just want less government interference in my life, how I worship any god or not worship is none of this governments business.

I'd believe the members of government for the last decade are the ultimate villains, after all the banks were operating under a license issued by the government; complicit by consent.

Perhaps we'll see another Easter rising, the death of a corrupt state and the birth of a new contract. Something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I just wanted to know if there was somewhere I could watch the match this friday!!
    Now I'm near suicidal as I contemplate the mess this country is in both socially and politically.
    Have been trying to avoid thinking about what's been done and how it will affect my life and that of my children (and maybe even their children). To have so much damage done to a Nation by so few is trully outrageous.
    But surely this discussion is for another post?
    I JUST WANNA WATCH DE MATCH!!!!

• Advertisement

Langtons is probably your best bet. I saw a poster inviting everyone to a Tapas tasting evening on Friday with a complimentary glass of wine. I guess that's how they get around the talaban. I guess they'll have a scene somewhere in there.

Sorry for straying off your topic Frankie, fraught times and all.

Advertisement