Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MetalTix - Heads Up - Important

Options
  • 30-03-2010 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Please take a read of the following thread

It seems that there are quite a few reports of credit card details being stolen possibly as a result of purchases from MetalTix. My own card and a friends details were both stolen, we are currently in talks with the bank to get them sorted out.

We're not 100% it was from there that the details were taken but it also appears we're not the only ones to have it done (We both bought Wacken tickets in the last couple of months).

If you have bought anything from MetalTix recently please keep a close eye on your credit card statement just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Serial77

Today my credit card was attempted to be charged wit 698€ to buy airplane tickets at travelocity.com

I have a special credit card for online shopping and the only thing I bought in the last 6 months was: My wacken tickets at Metaltix

My money hasn't been stolen because I have a double security pin via mobile SMS. But the attempt was made.

My best friend had less luck. He also bought 2 tickets for wacken at Metalix and more than 500€ have been withdrawn from he's bank account last weekend to buy airplane tickets at ryanair.com. He is in the hastle of conversations with his bank and ryanair.com to get his money back.

Either Metalitix is victim of credit card hackers and their website is insecure, or they have a internal employee selling client card numbers.

I have contacted Metaltix this afternoon to explain what has happend to my friend and myself and this time I'm still waiting for a reply from thim (will followup as soon as I can).

EVERYBODY BE WARNED IF YOU BUY AT METALTIX UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sorry to hear that c - 13 and Serial77. Hope you both get things sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cheers Malice_ - All sorted out but a bit pissed off over the whole thing. Just to update MetalTix have released an email as follows -
    Dear Customer,

With this letter we draw your attention to an important incident.

We had to observe one of our servers having become subject of targeted
    attack that apparently has been launched for spying customers’ data. This
    attack has been stopped now. However, we can not exclude, that you are part
    of a limited number of customers, whose credit card details provided for
    payment processing have been stolen and misused or are intended to be
    misused.

Please contact without delay the issuing credit agency (bank or credit card
    provider) and also check your payment records (credit card statement / bank
    statement) with particular care.

We have lodged a criminal complaint to the public prosecutor about this
    incident.

Yours,

Metaltix-Team

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

c - 13 wrote: »
    Please take a read of the following thread

It seems that there are quite a few reports of credit card details being stolen possibly as a result of purchases from MetalTix. My own card and a friends details were both stolen, we are currently in talks with the bank to get them sorted out.

We're not 100% it was from there that the details were taken but it also appears we're not the only ones to have it done (We both bought Wacken tickets in the last couple of months).

If you have bought anything from MetalTix recently please keep a close eye on your credit card statement just in case.

Cheers for the heads up!! Glad ya got it shorted though!

c - 13 wrote: »
    Cheers Malice_ - All sorted out but a bit pissed off over the whole thing. Just to update MetalTix have released an email as follows -

I recieved the exact same email. **** happens I supose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gorgoroth

Serial77 wrote: »
    Today my credit card was attempted to be charged wit 698€ to buy airplane tickets at travelocity.com

I have a special credit card for online shopping and the only thing I bought in the last 6 months was: My wacken tickets at Metaltix

My money hasn't been stolen because I have a double security pin via mobile SMS. But the attempt was made.

My best friend had less luck. He also bought 2 tickets for wacken at Metalix and more than 500€ have been withdrawn from he's bank account last weekend to buy airplane tickets at ryanair.com. He is in the hastle of conversations with his bank and ryanair.com to get his money back.

Either Metalitix is victim of credit card hackers and their website is insecure, or they have a internal employee selling client card numbers.

I have contacted Metaltix this afternoon to explain what has happend to my friend and myself and this time I'm still waiting for a reply from thim (will followup as soon as I can).

EVERYBODY BE WARNED IF YOU BUY AT METALTIX UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
    Hi people. I also bought 2 tickets for wacken at Metaltix and more than 1200€ have been withdrawn from my bank account last week to buy airplane tickets at vueling.com. I think that instead of cry like girls we must make a complaint against metaltix, I'll do it tomorrow.

Gorgoroth wrote: »
    Hi people. I also bought 2 tickets for wacken at Metaltix and more than 1200€ have been withdrawn from my bank account last week to buy airplane tickets at vueling.com. I think that instead of cry like girls we must make a complaint against metaltix, I'll do it tomorrow.

Count on me if you need any help with the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LittleTimmae

They got my details the F**kers.

On the 19th March through to the 22nd my card was used three times.

€493 to TrenItalia
    €115 Iberia airlines
    €15 Travel insurance

They also registered an account with ebay and it was ebay that sent me a mail. I rang the bank and they said they were trying to contact me. (My phone number had changed since i opened the account)

Anwyhoo! a friend of mine was done aswell for €500 for easyjet tickets.
    That same friend rang me today to say he had received an email from Metaltix (I haven't yet) about their site been hacked. So i informed a colleague that had bought tickets from Metaltix to check his account or at the least have the bank watch it. He checked his account and low and behold. €973 to TrenItalia. Everyone Beware.

BTW. BOI refunded my money two days ago...

Pass this to anyone who bought tickets from Metaltix.

LT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gorgoroth

Between the 19/03/2010 and 20/03/2010:

RENFE 171€
    VUELING AIRLINES 168€
    VUELING AIRLINES 87€
    IBERIA 392€
    RENFE 77€
    NETVIAGENS.COM 374€

TOTAL: 1269€

Gorgoroth wrote: »
    Between the 19/03/2010 and 20/03/2010:

RENFE 171€
    VUELING AIRLINES 168€
    VUELING AIRLINES 87€
    IBERIA 392€
    RENFE 77€
    NETVIAGENS.COM 374€

TOTAL: 1269€

Jeez dude, I thought i was bad. :eek:

Hopefully everything is sorted?

Their the scum of the earth... **Shakes Fist**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This was a disgrace. I was going to buy Bang Your Head tickets from them, I've purchased tickets before for the same event, and I have to say this just shocks me.

I'll not be doing anymore business with this website from now on because of what I've read here.

I'm interested the money taken should be used for plane tickets though...I mean, presumably those whose money was taken can work with the airline and the bank and the police to track down what ticket was bought for what flight...especially on chartered flights, if these guys turn up, you'll know what seat they are sitting in?

This was a disgrace. I was going to buy Bang Your Head tickets from them, I've purchased tickets before for the same event, and I have to say this just shocks me.

I'll not be doing anymore business with this website from now on because of what I've read here.

I'm interested the money taken should be used for plane tickets though...I mean, presumably those whose money was taken can work with the airline and the bank and the police to track down what ticket was bought for what flight...especially on chartered flights, if these guys turn up, you'll know what seat they are sitting in?

I agree, Both myself and my M8 contacted BOI's Fraud dept and told them what we know about Metaltix being hacked.

As for the purchase of tickets! I think there is an underlying scam that we don't know about? Buy tickets get the money back or something like that...

The TrenItalia scam has been going on since early 2008 http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/trenitalia-c41569.html

If you see TrenItalia on your CC, RING THE BANK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From a technical point of view I'm curious why MetalTix would be storing credit card information in their database at all. The negative publicity cost from a situation like this would surely far outweigh the cost of engaging a third-party with credit card transactions.

Malice_ wrote: »
    From a technical point of view I'm curious why MetalTix would be storing credit card information in their database at all. The negative publicity cost from a situation like this would surely far outweigh the cost of engaging a third-party with credit card transactions.

Which leads to the question, What vendors are storing our information & how safe is it? This leaves one in a elevated state of Paranoia...

Why don't they use Virtual credit cards ie...

From your credit card you create a one off card, one off number, for a purchase. When the purchase is done the number (card) is dead.

The main card stays alive but separate from the virtuals. You can make as many virtuals as you need.

This is very similar to the purchase of those (can't think of the name of the cards) that you can buy with an added charge for people that don't have a CC...

I ramble....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is very similar to the purchase of those (can't think of the name of the cards) that you can buy with an added charge for people that don't have a CC...

There was 3V cards

But Electron cards and Debit Cards also pose a greater risk, because if they're hacked, the money comes straight from your personal bank account as opposed to your credit card...which as some kind of Insurance on it, in the sense that its money you didn't really had that you don't mind waiting and applying to have written off...someone takes your cash a day before a holiday and its ruined:mad:

There was 3V cards

But Electron cards and Debit Cards also pose a greater risk, because if they're hacked, the money comes straight from your personal bank account as opposed to your credit card...which as some kind of Insurance on it, in the sense that its money you didn't really had that you don't mind waiting and applying to have written off...someone takes your cash a day before a holiday and its ruined:mad:

Electron cards i've heard of, but a colleague i know buys credit on a card that is not linked to his bank that he pays extra for... wouldn't that not work?

Also do you not think a virtual credit card would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

The same thing happened to my girlfriend. We used her credit card to buy tickets to Wacken on Metaltix; you know the rest.

Not sure how much has been spent yet, but she's hoping to get it sorted soon.

Advertisement