Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Flanders sportive 3/4/10

• 30-03-2010 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many from here are doing the sportive on Saturday? I see Nicolas Roche is not in the AG2R team for Sunday - pity!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

michaelm wrote: »
    Just wondering if many from here are doing the sportive on Saturday? I see Nicolas Roche is not in the AG2R team for Sunday - pity!
    Hi Michael
    I'm doing it! Hope the weather isn't as rubbish as it is here today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Doubt Roche would have any interest in it anyway or the whole ag2t team for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Just wondering if many from here are doing the sportive on Saturday?

What one is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    What one is that ?
    Apologies - The Tour of Flanders sportive, this Sat. Also I agree Roche probably not interested, was just hoping he would be from my own point of view as a spectator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Apologies - The Tour of Flanders sportive, this Sat. Also I agree Roche probably not interested, was just hoping he would be from my own point of view as a spectator.

Oh yeah Im in...... just got Roches number ....:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 aidandoyle

Hi,

Myself, RAAM and LDB will be there. We are all doing the 140km - so far the forecast appears ok.

As a matter fo interest will you be wearing Boards jerseys? I had planned to do the event this year (have done it for the last 3) but unfortunately can't get out on the Friday so won't be there until about lunchtme on Sat. I'm hoping to be on the Koppenberg about that time with my camera to get some shots for a project I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll be in Swords kit.

Cos the majority rules, I shall also wear the hallowed Swords kit :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Dirk did it last year. Good report here. Moral of the story, don't get out of the saddle on bergs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Looking forward to your report Raam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

And take plenty of photos!

Best of luck, hope you guys get good weather for it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Looking forward to your report Raam.

New rules I'm afraid no reports just results (unless its from an A1)

el tonto wrote: »
    Dirk did it last year. Good report here. Moral of the story, don't get out of the saddle on bergs.

As a participant in the last few I always hoped for good weather and dry cobbles, whatever chance you have out of the saddle in good conditions you have little or none when they're wet. As a photogrpaher however, I'm drooling slightly at the prospect of wet greasy cobbles - hence positioning myself on the Koppenberg. One piece of advice for the climbs: don't be afraid to let a shout when there are people walking in front of you or going very slowly on mountain bikes. I found that in general they will try to accommodate any cyclist who is still upright, but you really need to let them know you're there. Particularly on the big three (my opinion) Paterberg, Koppenberg and the Muur where making your way through the walkers can be a bigger test than the berg itself.

Thanks for the advice folks. Always appreciated
    Maybe someone could help us with another issue: crowding on the hills. We can start anytime from 07:00 until 10:00, from the point of view of trying to avoid crowding on hills are we better to start earlier or later?
    Any advice welcome.

I've always started between 7.30 and 8 - the earliest I could get to the start and found that the crowds have always been a bigger issue than the hills. Nothing that you will ever do in ireland can prepare you for the sheer volume of cyclists on the course and obviously this is particularly so on the climbs. Most are quite narrow - the Koppenberg is really only the width of a car while the first climb, the Bosberg, is even narrower. I had intended doing the event again this year but circumstances have dictated otherwise. It was my plan to start as late as possible as I recokon it surely couldn't be any busier than at the earlier time. Having said that regardless of the crowds it will be one hell of a day for you and I know you will really enjoy it. My advice in a nutshell! Go for the later time.

It was very busy when I got there, michaelm obviously knows it better than me but he is dead right, the volume is like nothing you will have done here, very narrow roads/paths for the most part and I think there was ~20,0000 did it last year.

I got a puncture, had to fix it, and we found it tricky to find a gap and get back moving it was that jammers.

Good point on the climbs too and the mistake I made was not shouting and just hanging onto wheels. People literally stop and get off in the middle of them. If you shout they try and wobble to the side but it is impossible to stop and try moving around them.

Feed stops were amazingly efficient though, I wouldn't worry about carrying too much food. Waffles, bananas, drinks and it makes the W200 look as poor as it was last year. Multiple lines, wheel your bike up into a warehouse, walk through, grab your stuff and out the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I'm off to it as well!!

Very excited, weather not good but we ll suck it up and ride hard!!!

I ll take the advice and let out a yelp to try keep myself moving on the climbs.... If my legs allow me!!!

Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

Packed & ready to go. Cant wait :D (Orwell Wheelers kit)

20100331_Flanders.jpg

Anyone got a gpx/tcx/kml of the various routes?

I found the pro race here: http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/roadbook/map.rvv

I know it will be easy to follow the sportif route on the day, but I like maps :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Which route are you going for? The full enchilada?

The 150.

Raam wrote: »
    The 150.

All the interesting bits in that case. Take it you're sticking around for the main event on Sunday?

All the interesting bits in that case. Take it you're sticking around for the main event on Sunday?

Yup. Then zipping of to Cologne for another one on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Tis the type of sportive that if you look down at anything on your bars ... you'll crash !!! :eek:
    It will be worse than riding the Gorey this weekend !!! Well maybe not ... seen as you'll be on the side of road on Sunday with beers in hand !! Watching Tom tearing it up ala 2006 ....... yis luckys fecker .....
    Meanwhile I will have nappies in mine !!!!!!!!!!

Biker Joe.

Where is a good spot to stake out on race day?

We went to Geraardsbergen on the Sunday. Found a spot standing on some palettes of bricks with a good view of the screen. Then I made a quick run up to the Muur to try and grab a spot for when they passed through. It was jammers everywhere! Get there early and grab a good spot on one of the climbs or in front of the big screen.

Don't even think about getting near the top of the Muur unless you get there very early though, the mound there seems to be the most popular spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

If I were going I would like to see them going up the Koppenburg, it's Iconic !

http://www.grahamwatson.com/2002/koppenberg/koppenberg.html

Although the Muur in terms of the race, will possibly where the race is won or lost !!!

http://rvv.be/rvv-data/charts/rvv2010-elite-men-map.png

Biker Joe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I went to see it a few yeasr ago and we watched it on the Koppenburg then pegged to Gerardsbergen where we saw it again then watched the finish there on a big screen.

The koppenburg really is spectacular

That was the year Cipollini rode it in the rainbow jersey as well.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If I get thru doing the Raid this year I would love to do this next year. This was the first race that I watched properly last year in about 10yrs.
    I loved reading Dirks reports and seeing the photos from Michaelm.

Hope ye guys have a great time.

Would anyone ever be interested in heading to Belgium for a week to do some classic rides and take in a few races (as well as having some beer and choc).

Enjoy the ride and hope ye get a good spot for the race.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Would anyone ever be interested in heading to Belgium for a week to do some classic rides and take in a few races (as well as having some beer and choc).

Something I have a notion to do at some stage. Also maybe race a kermis or two while I'm there.

Something I have a notion to do at some stage. Also maybe race a kermis or two while I'm there.

Can we throw beer and chips at you. :-)

ROK ON wrote: »
    Can we throw beer and chips at you. :-)

Beer and chips are OK. But no cups of urine.

Beer and chips are OK. But no cups of urine.

Jaysuz they don't. Do they?

• Advertisement

I'd be up for doing it next year if you guys want to? I really, really loved it. My only time cycling outside of Ireland and it's something I need to do more of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    My only time cycling outside of Ireland and it's something I need to do more of.

Tour of the Mont Blanc?
    ;)

I'd be up for doing it next year if you guys want to? I really, really loved it. My only time cycling outside of Ireland and it's something I need to do more of.

We could investigate next year so. Time to start brushing up on my Flemish.

Tour of the Mont Blanc?
    ;)

ENJOYABLE sportive. Come, I think we should get a big crew. Sportive on Saturday followed by the Tour and beers on the Sunday. We could even take a trip to Bruges if we are hanging around a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

what's the flemmish for cake?

• Advertisement

We could investigate next year so. Time to start brushing up on my Flemish.

Cool. Head out for RVV drink.
    Spend a few days cycling.
    Drink more.
    Take in a few more races.
    Watch Tonto in a Kermesse race.
    Throw chips drink beer.
    Head home.
    Now that's a proper cycling trip.

Proper short hills not those crazy long things.
    Also the cobbles in flanders are probably better than the road surfaces here :-)

what's the flemmish for cake?

Kakeke ;_"-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ENJOYABLE sportive. Come, I think we should get a big crew. Sportive on Saturday followed by the Tour and beers on the Sunday. We could even take a trip to Bruges if we are hanging around a bit longer.

I'm in. I also fancy a trip over to throw beer over politely watch some cyclocrossers in the winter.

For me the best place by far to see this race is to base yourself in Oudenaarde. This is the location of the Tour of Flanders museum, run by Freddy Maertens, this will be a hive of activity on the day with the race being shown on a number of big screens. The women's race starts from here earlier in the day from where there is fantastic access to their warm ups etc. It is possible to see this race twice in the general oudenaarde area (assuming you have your bike with you). I usually then have lunch in the bar/restaurant in the museum where you can watch the men's race approaching. It passes the front door after which you simply hop on your bike and follow the locals to the foot of the Kwaremont climb, a short cut allows you make to the marquee climb of the Koppenberg with a good 10 mins to spare. When it has passed - back to the museum to watch the closing stages with the passionate Flandrians. If a Belgian wins - incredible atmosphere and if that Belgian happens to be Boonen - hold on to your beer! I have posted this before as I believe it is the best cycling weekend around!

As a keen sports photographer I will be basing myself around the Koppenberg on Sat (not taking part this year) in an effort to try to capture some of its character - will post the stuff to my Flickr account on my return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

good race so far 37k to go , some crashes on the narrow roads .

Just watching the video of yesterday's race. Just brilliant.
    Myself and three other lads went over and did the Flanders sportive on Saturday. Now that was excellent! Super organisation all throughout the day. Riding on the cobbles and on the route of the race was such a thrill.
    I managed to ride up most of the hills during the day - although the Koppenbug and Paterburg were both very wet, very slippy and sooooo steep, so I did have to walk up those ones. Riding to the top of the Kappelmuur was really special. I can't recommend this sportive enough - just fantastic. Nice support from the locals all day, and I even heard an Irish voice at the top of the Kappelmuur (thanks for the shout out!).
    No problems with the bike all day. I have a very dirty bike to reassemble and wash today! I went through a pair of black Swissstop brake pads on my rear wheel - it was in use a lot! The cobbles were quite frightening at first, especially as there were a few showers throughout the day. One of the guys in our group came down hard in the first or second section, leaving him with a cracked helmet, sore elbow, shoulder, some grazes and dented pride... The cobbles on the Molenberg were smeared in mud (possibly because the MTB route joined with the main route at that point?), but there were less people around me then, so I managed to get up ok. You do get used to them - eventually. No real pains in arms / neck / back after the day, which was a bonus.

Now, the real bonus of the weekend was that one of the lads travelling with us managed to get us some VIP passes for the race yesterday. We were picked up from our hotel by a former pro (Bert Roesens) who took us to the start, the finish, and 5 other spots along the route - Oostende, Roeselare, Nokere, Ooike, and Steenbeekdries. We drove as part of a convoy of cars from point to point, and had support from a couple of motorbikes who stopped traffic for us at junctions along the way. We even had a tv in the car which kept us up to date with the race as it happened. The Belgian crowds were unreal all day. They were in great form, up for a bit of fun, and plenty of time for a few beers too! Naturally, we finished the day with a helping of frites and mayonnaise! Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, but I'd love to do it again!

I've a few pics and videos - I need to learn how to upload them! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well that's one more thing added to the things-to-do-before-I-die list.
    montac wrote: »

Irishman detected at 00:44. GGGGG'AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Have uploaded a few photos from the weekend here. Wasn't taking part and didn't make it to Flanders until mid afternoon on Saturday. The sportive photos were taken on the Koppenberg between 4 and 5 pm so most of the participants were already on the course for a minimum of 6 hrs, many were doing the full event (260Km) from Bruges and had left at 7.30am. Most were absolutely wrecked. The state of the cobbles at this stage was awful - extremely slippy. By my reckoning only about 1 in 15 were actually making it up, a combination of the slope, the state of the cobbles and their own tiredness. Many of these would have been very lucky to make the finish before dark.

I watched the final 50 Km of the pro-race in the Tour of Flanders museum in Oudenaarde and a particular highlight was the reaction of the local (Boonen crazy) Flandrians who gave Cancellara a standing ovation at the end. I asked one the locals about this and he explained "We always respect the winner of the Tour of Flanders, and they deserve our ovation". Incidentally the most popular dish in the pub/restaurant was "Spaghetti Boonenaise". Watching the race in the company of the Flandrians is a an experience in itself, particularly when they find out you're Irish. A great weekend!

First attempt at a video of the Koppenberg, apologies for poor qualty and lack of editing skills. As posted above, like the photos this video was shot late on Sat. afternoon as the final cyclists were passing through. The hill was much quieter than it would have been a few hours earlier. I find that stills photos fail to show the difficulty of the cobbles, I hope this gives a better idea of the challenge

As a matter of interest the video was shot on one of the mini dv cameras sold in Aldi recently. It's tiny - so very portable but quite difficult to hand hold and to see your images in the viewfinder. At least that's my excuse!

• Advertisement
Advertisement