Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ending 1 year lease, redundancy

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi - I have a year’s lease on an apartment, due to end in August (last rent being paid in July)
    I’m more than likely being made redundant soon and want to end the lease now, to save the last few months rent money. Can I just end the lease and give up my deposit. There is a lot of info in the lease about notice the landlord needs to give to me, but not the other way around.

I’m aware that you can try to find a new tenant for the landlord etc, but I don’t have the time, need to save my money right away.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Speak to the landlord.

He may or may not want to play ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

I agree.

I found myself in the same situation, although I only had three months left on my lease.

I spoke with the landlord, explained the situation and he agreed to end the lease. I did lose €500 of my €1500 deposit, but I thought it was worth the hit! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭malpas

bunyip123 wrote: »
    Hi - I have a year’s lease on an apartment, due to end in August (last rent being paid in July)
    I’m more than likely being made redundant soon and want to end the lease now, to save the last few months rent money. Can I just end the lease and give up my deposit. There is a lot of info in the lease about notice the landlord needs to give to me, but not the other way around.

I’m aware that you can try to find a new tenant for the landlord etc, but I don’t have the time, need to save my money right away.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated! Thanks!

Yes..speak to landlord and explain you're circumstances. Depends on your relationship..he can retain deposit at his discretion for any rent arrears or loss of rent in a void period up to end of lease. To be legal, you need to issue a valid Notice of Termination of Tenancy as set out in the Sections 62 & 66 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004...this Act is the bible, it is complex and many tenants and landlords are not aware of their obligations. You may not lose your deposit or be liable for void period if you either assign your lease or get someone as a sub-tenant..you must seek landlords permission first which he cannot unreasonably refuse..suggest you get advice asapfrom Threshold before doing anything.. best of luck

Advertisement