Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost broadband signal in office

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We just got a Netopia router in work for broadband for external clients. But the signal is crap. Really bad. Its on the floor above me and I cant pick up the signal at all.

Just wondering if theres anything that I could attach to the router to boost the signal and range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

You could get a wireless range extender. It's basically a relay picking up the wireless signal from the router and re-broadcasting it. Alternatively you could look into networking over powerline option to link the two locations (as long as both on same circuit as it were).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

davmigil wrote: »
    You could get a wireless range extender. It's basically a relay picking up the wireless signal from the router and re-broadcasting it. Alternatively you could look into networking over powerline option to link the two locations (as long as both on same circuit as it were).

Thanks for that. The netopia box is on the 2nd floor of the building. I just wanted to boost the signal for those on the ground floor to pick up the wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is there concrete or metal floors? this will completely block wireless signals, best off running a cable or using homeplugs and adding another access point if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is there concrete or metal floors? this will completely block wireless signals, best off running a cable or using homeplugs and adding another access point if thats the case

Concrete. I thought that the signal would still travel. Im able to get signals from other offices around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

As mentioned above depends where its situated and the concrete floors will block most of the signal. Powerline might help you or run an ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Is not only the concrete the issue...

-Can be the position of the router in the room or building;
    -Can be the other ICT equipment /or not ICT in the building / room that interferes with the wireless signal;
    -Can be that the router is using an already full wifi channel spectrum and it shares with other routers around;
    -Can be a faulty router/antenna/chipset.

I'll download a software called netstumbler OR any other WiFi monitoring/scanning software (not hardware) and leave it running for a while...you'll be shocked by how many devices are showing up as active and "fighting / competing" for spectrum...

Options,get a Wireless Access Point (not router) and set it on same network LAN and install it in the top room,connected over some physical connex to the Netopia router LAN port.

Rgds...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is it possible to move the Netopia to the 1st floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Concrete. I thought that the signal would still travel. Im able to get signals from other offices around the area.

See, concrete floors aren't just concrete, unlike block walls they have a mesh of steel inside too

Advertisement