Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drumcondra this morning

• 30-03-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

Cycling down through Drumcondra this morning I start to slide sidewise. "FOOK, I've got a double puncture and rolled the tyres off the rims". Somehow I managed to stay up despite sliding sideways on a fixie. Put the foot down, foot wouldn't get purchase on the ground. Then the wheels started sliding out again while standing still. Finally got my footing and checked the tyres - perfect. WTF??? Tried to ride on and slide sideways again - then I noticed all the oil on the road, only in the bus lane. Walked the bike for a good bit until it cleared and thanked my lucky stars I stayed up. Reported it to the guards so hopefully they'll put some of the magic green stuff out but not a nice experience. Would say that there will have to have been some accidents there this morning - mainly bikes or motorbikes I suspect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yeah that slick was bad, started up in Whitehall, all the way down to O'Connell Bridge, just petered out by D'Olier St. I was freaking out the whole way in, but managed to stay out of it for the most part, though course it was all over the cycle lanes. Anyone know how it started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

I cycled through Drumcondra this morning and didn't notice anything. Where exactly was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I cycled through Drumcondra this morning and didn't notice anything. Where exactly was it?

Left hand side of the bus lane into the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

tunney wrote: »
    Left hand side of the bus lane into the city centre

Thanks. I must have been lucky to miss it. Although I do use the off-road cycle lane at the Archbishop's palace and turn off towards Mountjoy Square at Blacktie.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Dirk Voodoo put it there to keep you from getting to the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am slightly amused to see a post from tunney regarding dangerous road conditions. That is all. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Make sure you wash the oil off your tires. This crap sticks and can be quite dangerous ...

blorg wrote: »
    I am slightly amused to see a post from tunney regarding dangerous road conditions. That is all. :pac:

I was ranting rather than saying watch out for it :) Although after giving the guards my details, the details of what was on the road and where he did ask "And have you posted it on boards.ie road watch yet?"

Make sure you wash the oil off your tires. This crap sticks and can be quite dangerous ...

Aye - had to do that on the side of the road before I could move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What's the best way to do this if at work (limited supplies), kettle of boiling water and fairy liquid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

What's the best way to do this if at work (limited supplies), kettle of boiling water and fairy liquid?

Last time we had to do that we used all purpose citrus liquid and a brush with boiling hot water and finished it off with window cleaning liquid and a cloth...

Not sure what the best way is...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

I came across this on the way into work this morning. There were cyclists flying down Fredrick Street/Parnell square. I took it really slowly and felt my back wheel loosing traction. As usual taxis and buses were going past at well over the new speed limit.

A lady on a Dublin bike came off on the turn around D'olier Street. I was right behind her, but luckily she was ok, just a bit shaken up.

Advertisement