Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian courses

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all
    I may have an opportunity to get work in a Tack shop during July. Just wondering if there is any courses one can do to help me out. Just want to get to know general horse care/stable management and the different types of tacks/bits and when/where they should be used!

Thank you in advance for your help!

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

pmason wrote: »
    Hi all
    I may have an opportunity to get work in a Tack shop during July. Just wondering if there is any courses one can do to help me out. Just want to get to know general horse care/stable management and the different types of tacks/bits and when/where they should be used!

Thank you in advance for your help!

P

If it's just a job for a sales assistant and you know nothing/very little about horses or different tack beside what you use yourself imo best thing to do would be buy a pony club manual or similar book. You'll get all the info you need in there instead of forking out for a course.

But if you really want to do a course, sorry I don't know of anything off hand atm. I did all this in pony camp years ago so no idea what an adult could these days. Ah pony camp, fun times! lol Doing a search for stable management brings up a few things but I'm not sure you'll cover bit types and uses etc in a normal stable management course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

pmason wrote: »
    Hi allI may have an opportunity to get work in a Tack shop during July. Just wondering if there is any courses one can do to help me out.

What part of the country are you in? Might be helpful for getting some relevant answers.

Scoil Mhuire Adult Education Clane, have a night course.

I'm sure if you looked around you'll find something. Some, but not many riding schools, do an 'adult pony camp' where you'll learn a bit about tack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There are decent books out there and google of course.

Good on you that you want to learn before you begin. Nothing worse than a sales assistant who doesn't understand the stuff they are selling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

A good book will certainly be a good start - pony club manual or some of the BHS books.

Check if there is a BHS trainign yard in your area as you could enquire about paying to attend some of the lectures. Also see if there are any riding schools in the area that need an extra pair of hands at the weekend - you would learn an awful lot by being around a yard and helping out plus it means that you get to see how the products you would be selling will actually be used.

Advertisement