Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a small pup Dublin

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi everyone i am looking for a small pup to go to a good home......... i have 2 kids and we lost our dog that we had 6 years to sickness a couple of months ago the children are now looking for a new pup i just want a small dog for company as i am at home alone all the time. I have been to Dogs Trust, Collon and Dogs in distress and the pups are very hard to get.......with young children i cannot risk bringing an older dog into our home.

I have seen a couple on Dogs in Distress but the rehomeing fee of 150e is too much for me as i am on social welfare.

Does anyone know of anywhere there is pups available without the high fee!!!! I am in Dublin and will travel outside but not too far.

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ashton pound works with Dogs In Distress to get pups out as fast as possible, so you will be out of luck trying there. The DSPCA is always worth a try but they have a rehoming fee over €100 also. Maybe some pounds outside Dublin might have pups, couldn't hurt to ring them up and see.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you are not able to afford a rehoming fee how will you afford vaccinations etc. for the new pup? Young pups are not cheap to keep and vet bills alone will add up to over €100 easily. If you adopt from a rescue, they usually have the pups checked by a vet, vaccinated, wormed etc. so €150 isn't too much considering it will cost you just as much (if not more) to get the pup sorted yourself.

Also, with young kids you don't need to only get a pup. Plenty of adult rescue dogs are excellent with children, are able for the rough and tumble that kids involve (when young pups can be very delicate) and make just as good pets in the long term as pups. Most rescues asses their dogs to make sure they can be homed with children and won't home an unpredictable or snappy dog with kids. If you ask a rescue about a dog, they can usually tell you how they are with kids and if they are suitable for your situation. You also have the added advantage of knowing what you are getting before you bring it home with an adult dog - some training is often done and their personalities are clear from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out - rehoming fee usually covers the cost of vaccinations and worming and in some cases neutering (Depending on the age of the pup). And to be honest, you usually get a better deal with a rehoming fee than getting it all done yourself with your vet.

Whilst I understand you're on social welfare, pups especially are not cheap.
    You have vaccinations, worming, de fleaing, neutering when the time comes, vet check ups, boosters, leads/harnesses, bowls, beds, food.
    Getting a pup is never cheap by any means. Sure someone can hand you a 'free' pup, but as I said to get them up to date with vacc's and worming/neuter/flea will probably cost you more than the rehoming fee.
    (not giving out, just making sure you understand why there are such fees usually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Just_lil_ole_me

I had a staffie from a pup to 6 years so i am aware of the costs to keep a pup/dog. Dogs trust is 85e with collar,lead, neutered and vaccs, 6 weeks free insurance and support for the dogs life i think this is an adequate fee and have been out and the premises is great and you can see where the money is going. I just think 150e is a bit steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's fair enough :)
    Honestly people are only giving advice on making sure a new owner is fully aware of the costs. It's just a case of having people come in before giving out about rehoming fees and not realising they'll spend more than that when they get a pup anyway.

Ahhh no and i appreciate it ....there;s a lot of people that don't realise the cost and time a dog takes toilet / obedience training if they are ill etc... .......i do and am looking forward to having a new dog in our home.......just so hard to find one.

I would just feel so much more comfortable with a pup......having children... the rehoming centres are great but sometimes there may be a trigger that the home missed out on as i am aware they can't pick up on everything and i cannot take the risk with the kids .....probaly being silly but can't help the way i feel:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I had a staffie from a pup to 6 years so i am aware of the costs to keep a pup/dog. Dogs trust is 85e with collar,lead, neutered and vaccs, 6 weeks free insurance and support for the dogs life i think this is an adequate fee and have been out and the premises is great and you can see where the money is going. I just think 150e is a bit steep.

Sorry but i dont 150 is steep at all. These resces are all run voluntarily and none of the money raised goes into their own pockets. Its costs a lot to run thes rescues and feed, water, bedding, vet expenses etc for each dog and 150 would not even come anywhere near covering their costs for each dog.

In my opinion if you cannot afford to donate 150 to cover certain costs for a rescue dog then you cannot afford to keep a dog in the first place. Dogs cost a lot of money to keep ongoing so to pay out 150 at the start really isnt very much.

Dogs Trust is a much bigger organisation than most other rescues so would prob be able to keep costs down slightly so hence only 85 euro, but again this wouldnt even go near covering the costs of vaccinations, neutering, feeding and so on.

Ahhh no and i appreciate it ....there;s a lot of people that don't realise the cost and time a dog takes toilet / obedience training if they are ill etc... .......i do and am looking forward to having a new dog in our home.......just so hard to find one.

I would just feel so much more comfortable with a pup......having children... the rehoming centres are great but sometimes there may be a trigger that the home missed out on as i am aware they can't pick up on everything and i cannot take the risk with the kids .....probaly being silly but can't help the way i feel:confused:

Some rescue centres operate a fostering system so the dogs are already out with families and have been assessed on whether they are good with kids, other dogs etc so they will be rehomed to the right family.

Have you tried the D.S.C.P.A as they might have puppies?

In my opinion if you cannot afford to donate 150 to cover certain costs for a rescue dog then you cannot afford to keep a dog in the first place. Dogs cost a lot of money to keep ongoing so to pay out 150 at the start really isnt very much.

I can afford a dog and as i said have had one for 6 years so obviously i am aware of the costs.......i just haven't a lump sum of 150 at the moment i am not slagging off these places with higher fees ....i just personally at the minute cannot afford it and i am sure there are plenty of other people out there on pensions / social welfare in the same situation.

I am not argung anyway i am looking for a pup and i can afford the overheads on keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

when i got my pup recently the second round of vac's cost me 45so if you had to get the first round as well that is another 45 micro chip is 65(my breeder allready had it done) 15 kg of good dog food costs about 70-80 (with a small dog that could last over a month my fell it lasts 25 ish days) the dog bed was about 30-40 but my lad likes the floor better:rolleyes: bowls about 10 each plus chew toys (your talking 100 easy to stop a put eating the sofa) + puppy classes

I can afford a dog and as i said have had one for 6 years so obviously i am aware of the costs.......i just haven't a lump sum of 150 at the moment i am not slagging off these places with higher fees ....i just personally at the minute cannot afford it and i am sure there are plenty of other people out there on pensions / social welfare in the same situation.

I am not argung anyway i am looking for a pup and i can afford the overheads on keeping it.

Why not put a little aside for a few weeks and at least then you will have an option of a few diff rescue centres.
    If the pup needs the vet you will need a lump sum of money so even though you dont have it now, you will possibly need it at some stage.

If you get a pup that hasnt been neutered, again that will cost money. In the long run i would advise saving up some money and going down the rescue route as all the vaccs, neutering, etc are included and for 150 you are getting a very good deal and saving a huge amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

6 weeks free insurance .
    insurance is worth having , (for a pb it's about 18-19 a month)

I just think 150e is a bit steep.
    you would be hard pushed to find a pup for cheaper

Thanks for all the advice everyone and yes i plan to get pet insurance there is also the blue cross for people on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Try some of the shelters down the country. They may meet you half way for delivery. Obviously they will need to do a home check first. I got a puppy about 4 weeks ago from a shelter in Galway. He is great (mostly ;))The "suggested donation" is €150 but maybe if you talk to them it'll be cheaper for a pup as they haven't been neutered yet. www.madra.ie is the one in Connemara in Galway. I know they have pups at the moment. They mght also know somewhere closer to you looking to rehome a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

€85 is a very good deal from dogs trust, and from what i hear they really know what their doing.

I'd advise ya to just take your time. As someone else mentioned keep puting a bit of money aside each week, and bring your kids to dogs trust each weekend to see if anything suitable shows up. I'll teach your kids patience and you'll build a relationship with the staff there so they will keep an eye out for an ideal dog for you.

I understand where your coming from about getting a pup. As others have mentioned most shelters do a very thorough behavioural assessment on the dog before they rehome it, but at least with a pup if it does snap it shouldnt do too much damage.

Best of luck with your hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

If its only a pup your after and i can understand why with kids, have you tried dog pounds. The dogs in these esp ones in the country that have no rescue working with them, are desperate for homes, only get 5 days. Most of these have no or little charge to get dogs out. I know the one in laois is free and the one in Offaly you just need to get a licence for the dog. The down side is that they would have anything done with them,it would be left up to you to see he gets all his vax etc, but the plus side is that you would be saving a dogs life.

Advertisement