Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital SLR camera popularity!

• 30-03-2010 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

It seems like that the Digital SLR camera is very poplular now, i really don't get it.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

When the 300D came out the aim was to produce a consumer DSLR for under €1000 , it sold well but now it's successors and competitors are available for fractions of that price with much improved functionality, hardly surprising that they are popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You've posted a leading statement without substance.

SLR cameras have been popular since their perfection in the 60's, they offered reasonably quality, better construction and interchangeable lenses over the box 120 type machine and either range finder or clear view finders.

The digital versions have size on their side, the old argument that bigger is better still has may aspects for this debate today. Prices for DSLR's reached a historic low during 2009 due to exchange rates and other fluctuations, hence a good entry level DSLR was as cheap or even cheaper than the higher end compact market models. Companies have moved to correct these anomalies late in 2009. While they were cheap this certainly could be a reason for a sudden upsurge.

As your statement is so vague, I've no reference point as to what you are trying to say. SLR were always popular as are the DSLR, always popular.

Another aspect is that compact cameras from around late 2008 were increasingly becoming faster and simpler in operation with less shutter lag [this was the single biggest drawback and a huge benefit for the DSLR with it's instant picture taking] so much so that compact sales outstripped DSLR sales and caused a massive price reduction to shift the DSLRs in 2009, which along with other factors brought the reverse into play, as I've mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Unfortunately the rise in popularity hasn't brought about a rise in the standard of amateur photography. A lot of consumers have bought dSLRs solely in the hope of getting better photographs. We have a lot of people with dSLRs but not as many understand how to use them.

I'm constantly reminded of the lady I saw down in Kerry taking a photograph of the Blasket Islands from the mainland just before sunset. The lens she was using was quite long, but was using hotshoe flash to take a photograph of a subject 3kms away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Factor in that high end compact cameras are capable of taking good pictures even on auto settings and the compact market is saturated, this gets people interested in photography and they look to upgrade. Cheaper DSLR's are the obvious next choice if there isn't much difference between a high end compact and entry level DSLR.

I guess its much like new drivers buying a small car, getting familiar with driving and then choosing to move up to a bigger/newer car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just back from holidays there, from a leading European destination, and it was quite busy, and I couldn't believe how many 'tourists' had D-SLR's, quite astounding (and me without mine :(). I suppose the cost has gone down, the quality has gone up, and the [keeping up with the jones's] syndrome of "look at me, I've got an interchangeable lens" !! ok I'm being a bit harsh there, as there are also alot of people out there that always had a keen interest in photography and they can now delve into their 'hobby'. The Q for most is: will I invest in a top-of-the-range P&S (or hybrid) or invest in an entry level D-SLR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

It seems like that the Digital SLR camera is very poplular now, i really don't get it.:confused:

do you take photographs yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I'll admit that I was kind of in that group of people that thought 'what is the point of a big DSLR when you could get a point and shoot that was less than half the weight and a lot more portable'

But then after going on numerous car forums and the like, I could see that the difference between the quality of a photo on a regular point and shoot and of that from a DSLR was night and day.

I kind of started hating taking pictures with a P/S cause all the shots were sort of lifeless and boring. Very dull and not really any photos stood out as having a wow factor. Where as on the other hand, I think DSLR's give you that extra bit of control to actually make a photo stand out a bit more and be impressive.

I'd agree with the comment about keeping up with the Joneses as well.. but each to their own, if you can afford one and enjoy taking photos with it. Why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I don’t understand the OP’s question, what do they not get?

The need for an DSLR?
    Why use a DSLR when there are still SLR’s out there?
    Or is that they don’t understand camera’s in general and a DSLR seems like a hunk of lead?

To quickly answer the questions above:

The need for an DSLR?
    DSLR’s can, with a little knowledge and practice, produce pictures that are of superior quality to those created by a compact. The ability to take full control of what the camera is doing, as opposed to just pressing the button, is what makes the difference.

Why use a DSLR when there are still SLR’s out there?
    Convenience. Most would agree that an SLR still produces a better picture. But DSLR’s have faster feed back, instant results and memory cards are cheep.

Or is that they don’t understand camera’s in general and a DSLR seems like a hunk of lead?
    DSLR’s have bigger sensors, interchangeable lenses, you can take control of what the camera is doing and how it reacts to different situations…the list is quite long…

For many a DSLR is just a matter of keeping up with the Jones’s. Fancy toys that look pretty.
    For hobbyists it’s a interesting way to spend the time.
    For amateurs its an escapism, a passion and a constant need to improve and perfect.
    For professionals is a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I think the OP was posting from Korea

maybe the time zone thing has him sleeping at the moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

you look more important with a dSLR - Game set and match ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

The lens she was using was quite long, but was using hotshoe flash to take a photograph of a subject 3kms away.

That's not so far, I used my pop-up flash to take a photo of the moon the other night. It lit it up very nicely :)http://pix.ie/corkpix/1582509/in/album/371362

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

hbr wrote: »
    That's not so far, I used my pop-up flash to take a photo of the moon the other night. It lit it up very nicely :)http://pix.ie/corkpix/1582509/in/album/371362

No it didn't. That was the sun lighting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    you look more important with a dSLR - Game set and match ;)

And then of course you've got "lens envy"
    You can't be standing there with your 18-55 hangin out when all around you people are stroking their 300's.:D

trooney wrote: »
    No it didn't. That was the sun lighting it!
    !

It was at night time man, how could the sun be lighting it??? Seriously.....don't you know anything? It gets dark at night for a reason. That reason is the sun has gone down....duh!!!!

Haven't you ever seen people with P&S's lighting up entire buildings/scenes at night with their built in flash?

Jeez....some people on here just don't have a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

pete4130 wrote: »
    !

It was at night time man, how could the sun be lighting it??? Seriously.....don't you know anything? It gets dark at night for a reason. That reason is the sun has gone down....duh!!!!

Haven't you ever seen people with P&S's lighting up entire buildings/scenes at night with their built in flash?

Jeez....some people on here just don't have a clue!
    we need a sarcasm font :pac:

deffo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

ianflynn wrote: »
    we need a sarcasm font :pac:

Sarcasm Punctuation
    I kid you not.

Advertisement