Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn videos to DVD in widescreen format !

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Its been a while since I messed with Video files and the complex nature of them, ie. codecs, aspect ratios, converting to DVD, file extensions etc etc, and now I need to re-train my brain again !!

Problem: want to burn my videos to DVD with 16:9 aspect ratio using Windows Movie Maker.

Background: I took a load of videos on our holidays, with a JVC Everio MG130 camcorder. It stores them with the .mod extension, which I believe can be just renamed to .mpg as they are mpeg2's. I recorded all the videos in 16:9, and they play back on the camcorder in 16:9. But in Media Player (Vista, HomePremium) they play as 4:3, and the MediaInfo program tells me they are in 4:3 720*576 format.
    Now I open Movie Maker (in Vista) and it lets me import all the videos, I had pre-selected the 16:9 setting in the Advanced tab. The preview shows them in widescreen, but.........the actual video is 4:3 and the ends are padded with black bars !!
    Then I try it in XP and its version of WMM, and hey presto it works, it shows them in widescreen 16:9 format, but............my excitement is short lived, I can only import one at a time and it crashes/hangs most of the time !!

So, what does the XP version of WMM have that Vista doesn't, and is there a solution, another codec or something, please help !!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Well, after a bit of googlin I found what might be a solution, this youtube video just might work, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31Ji4U5jWI , its uses a program called SDCOPY, so I'll try it tonight and see what happens.
    I'll leave this thread here, as it might help other people at some stage !
    Download SDCOPY here

Advertisement