Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting heatsinks off ricer RAM-Problem officer?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm ordering a new CPU heatsink and its a big one, I'm looking forward to it but I have one small problem. My stupid looking RAM

If I just hack off those stupid looking heatsinks am I in danger of ruining the chips? I'm sure temp wise they make very little difference but is there any chance of ESD carrying through the HS into the chip from cutting them off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

lol that is possibly the most ridiculous looking ram I've ever seen!
    I would imagine it would be fine to cut them off with a dremel but you would need to be very careful. Best thing to would probably go here and ask about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

If I just hack off those stupid looking heatsinks am I in danger of ruining the chips? I'm sure temp wise they make very little difference but is there any chance of ESD carrying through the HS into the chip from cutting them off?
    ESD isn't likely to be an issue but I'd take the covers off the chips too, otherwise there is no escape route for the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Gurgle wrote: »
    ESD isn't likely to be an issue but I'd take the covers off the chips too, otherwise there is no escape route for the heat.

Yeah, I doubt ESD would be an issue

What CPU cooler are you getting ?

Also, you may need a heatgun,the heat spreaders are usually held on by thermal tape, heating it up makes it easier to remove....just be gentle

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Deano12345 wrote: »
    What CPU cooler are you getting ?

Noctua NH-D14:D
    Getting a Cooler Master ATSC 840 too ;)

EDIT: I'll probably try remove the heatsink with a bansaw, if not that then I could probably borrow a dremel, would it really be necassary to remove the covers on the chips too? Plenty of chips have covers on them

Noctua NH-D14:D
    Getting a Cooler Master ATSC 840 too ;)

EDIT: I'll probably try remove the heatsink with a bansaw, if not that then I could probably borrow a dremel, would it really be necassary to remove the covers on the chips too? Plenty of chips have covers on them

Woh....stop....hammer time :p

Don't go cutting stuff thats not supposed to be cut, from what I've seen, you have to remove the heat spreader to remove the heat pipe anyway. I've seen some disastrous situations from people hacking away at stuff

• Advertisement

The chips came with a kind of blueprint.. probably just a diagram of how the heatspreader works.. wish I hadn't chucked it now :(. I'll have a look about and see what I can do.

Another option would be to invert the cpu cooler so it faces vertically instead of horizontally(The same was my current cooler sits). Can anyone see a major problem with that? Obviously this depends on whether the mounting bracket can fit it that way

The chips came with a kind of blueprint.. probably just a diagram of how the heatspreader works.. wish I hadn't chucked it now :(. I'll have a look about and see what I can do.

Another option would be to invert the cpu cooler so it faces vertically instead of horizontally(The same was my current cooler sits). Can anyone see a major problem with that? Obviously this depends on whether the mounting bracket can fit it that way

Should work just dandy

SANY0017-1.jpg

Now theres a cowinkydink. I have a Q9550 on a P5Q Pro :rolleyes:

What do you think of it, What temps you running at?(Dont get my hopes up now)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Swap it on adverts for slightly lower less f-ugly RAM? :D

They may be ugly but they are still decent chips :PWorse comes to worst I'll replace them but I'll try inverting the cooler first and see how it goes

• Advertisement

Now theres a cowinkydink. I have a Q9550 on a P5Q Pro :rolleyes:

What do you think of it, What temps you running at?(Dont get my hopes up now)

At stock.

22/21/20/21 at idle

41/37/38/38 LinX 100% load

Board doesn't like this CPU, so i dont have it overclocked all the time.I've booted it at 4.25 GHz though :D

Looking forward to giving that a shot! Hopefully I dont have to necro this thread 2 weeks from now.
    /fingers crossed

Advertisement