Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wow at that snow this morning? goggles any use in that?

• 30-03-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Cycling to work this morning was difficult as I was cycling against the wind and snow was blowing at my face.

I had to put my hand in front of my face to see at times or else the snow looked like it would get in my eyes

anyone ever have this trouble?

is there goggles/glasses or something that people use for situations like that?

should I see about getting something like this:
    helmet-goggles.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

These:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Triple_Lens_Sunglasses/5360021749/

Though they're a whole lot more expensive than when I bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Normal cycling glasses are sufficient. Or indeed normal glasses as I wear. We don't get enough of the weather conditions in this country to warrant snow goggles, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Worst commute in my history of commuting - I was tricked by the weather gods , no rain leaving the apartment , cycled for few mins and heavens opened, full on snow and wind into my face, feet numb and red fingers by time I got to work

Only positive to come out of the situation was that my 10eur lidl running jacket kept my body dry and warm !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

dario28 wrote: »
    Only positive to come out of the situation was that my 10eur lidl running jacket kept my body dry and warm !

Is this the ones they are selling at the moment?

Didn't think they were waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

blobert wrote: »
    Is this the ones they are selling at the moment?

Didn't think they were waterproof?

Yeah it did the job , arms were a bit damp but main body was dry - prob washed the water proof coating off and ill be soaked on way home !

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    should I see about getting something like this:
    helmet-goggles.jpg

Only if you're going to use this:

4008~Sopwith-Camel-1917-Posters.jpg

These are the days that wearing glasses come in handy. I use a cycling cap as well, that keeps pretty much all of it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

same as here...coming down through drumcondra, couldnt see a thing until i got out through christchurch and it eased off

worst commute of the year by far

....still better than a bus though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Goggles in pic are ski goggles. Cheap ski goggles fog up. So expect to spend approx 70€ for decent ski goggles and they need to be double lensed to help prevent fogging

When u ski ,u travel faster than a bike and sweat less, as you will travel slower and sweat more on a bike, I'm sure even the best goggles will fog on a bike, especially at slow speeds, lights, trafic jams etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

k123456 wrote: »
    Goggles in pic are ski goggles. Cheap ski goggles fog up. So expect to spend approx 70€ for decent ski goggles and they need to be double lensed to help prevent fogging

When u ski ,u travel faster than a bike and sweat less, as you will travel slower and sweat more on a bike, I'm sure even the best goggles will fog on a bike, especially at slow speeds, lights, trafic jams etc

anti-fog sprays generally help with the fogging, and average speed for most skiers/boarders would be lower in my experience than a lot of people on here cycle while commuting.(not to say you can't go faster on ski's, just rarely people on holiday will be breaking 30/40km/hr)

Though i'd feel like a bit of a tool wearing my ski goggles on the bike.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

if you don't have cycling glasses, and want to pick some up today for the cycle home, they have them in Lild for €2.99 at the moment. I got a pair yesterday for day to day/commuting use and they seem grand so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

.. and average speed for most skiers/boarders would be lower in my experience than a lot of people on here cycle while commuting.(not to say you can't go faster on ski's, just rarely people on holiday will be breaking 30/40km/hr)
    I'd recommend ski lessons for you so if you're captain slow. lightweight:)

kenmc wrote: »
    I'd recommend ski lessons for you so if you're captain slow. lightweight:)

I never said i was talking about myself :) ... though i don't ski, just board so i'd probably be pretty slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

I never said i was talking about myself :) ... though i don't ski, just board so i'd probably be pretty slow
    I'm as fast on my board as any of my ski mates, and some of them really move.
    Probably helps that I was born without the 'self preservation' gene though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

it was a rough morning so bad i went back to bed with a mug of tea and cycling weekly.

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm as fast on my board as any of my ski mates, and some of them really move.
    Probably helps that I was born without the 'self preservation' gene though....

I'm the same for any of my m8's who travel over for hols on skies/board...but m8's who live in chamonix and zurich just destroy me on skis or board generally... doesn't help that a few of them do ski/boarding races though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mrs2be.ie

The goggles look good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I spent most of the day cycling all over town doing various bits and bobs, picking this up here, dropping that off there, etc, was absolutely awful weather and there were nearly times when I almost wished I wasn't cycling on my bike!

Advertisement