Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV in New Zealand

Options
  • 30-03-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey there I've just recently returned from Australia on a 1st year WHV I didn't want to do the 3mts seasonal work to get the second yr. However now that I am back home Im getting itchy feet again and am now thinking of maybe doing a WHV in New Zealand.

Could anybody give me any information on their experiences of living in NZ is it as good as living in Australia? I've heard that the wages are not as good but that the cost of living is a lot lower than Aus.

I travelled around NZ for 6 wks before I went to Aus and I really liked it, only thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be as much nightlife as there is in Aus.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated thanks

Kookie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Depends where you are, the big cities Welly, Auckland and Christchurch and some towns like Queenstown and Nelson have great nightlife. Other towns and villages can be VERY quiet at nighttime except for the local TAB bar full of pokie machines etc.

The wages and currency arent worth as much but I think the quality of life is much higher here. Less traffic, crime and people. The weather is less extreme (no floods, cyclones or bushfires) and up north can be just as nice as Oz with less humidity. The further south you go the more european-winter it gets but the summers are lovely.

There's plenty of outdoor sports to keep you busy, some very good surfing and a lot of unspoilt countryisde to explore. You can easily find empty beaches in NZ and don't meet as many Irish as you would in Oz.

I love it here and have been over to Oz several times, i'm pretty sure I like it better here. I'm lucky in that my IT job is well paid by NZ standards so if I was working in the bar trade or something i'd probably be a lot less happy about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

pclancy wrote: »
    Depends where you are, the big cities Welly, Auckland and Christchurch and some towns like Queenstown and Nelson have great nightlife. Other towns and villages can be VERY quiet at nighttime except for the local TAB bar full of pokie machines etc.

The wages and currency arent worth as much but I think the quality of life is much higher here. Less traffic, crime and people. The weather is less extreme (no floods, cyclones or bushfires) and up north can be just as nice as Oz with less humidity. The further south you go the more european-winter it gets but the summers are lovely.

There's plenty of outdoor sports to keep you busy, some very good surfing and a lot of unspoilt countryisde to explore. You can easily find empty beaches in NZ and don't meet as many Irish as you would in Oz.

I love it here and have been over to Oz several times, i'm pretty sure I like it better here. I'm lucky in that my IT job is well paid by NZ standards so if I was working in the bar trade or something i'd probably be a lot less happy about money.

+ 1 - although I'm not sure about the number of Irish here vs Oz...and agree on the work, depending on the area you work in you could do pretty well here...

Advertisement