Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 advise

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Always seem to be here with problems, Well is the nature of this area,

Anywho tried calling the Tax office and they hadn't a clue

So i'll ask for your wisdom

I left my old job on december 14th started a new job straight away,

After christmas when everything had calmed down was also moving house i rang the HR people in my old company to ask for my P45 this was late January at this point.

They said that due to an error i had been paid an extra week of €320 odd and they would not release my P45 till i pay them back.

Had varying different people say this is illegal or some people say this is normal that they can withhold my p45,

Anyone any ideas what i can do in this situation.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They can't withhold your P45, even if they did overpay you. Remind them of this and if they persist, then contact the Revenue. They take a very dim view of companies withholding P45s.

As for the overpayment - if they did actually overpay you, come to some arrangement with them about repayment. You don't have to pay it all back in one go, particularly if you are strapped for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Thats been the problem i havent had the money to pay them back in one go i've no qualms about doing it but just can't afford it in one chunk, is there legislation i can back this up on,

I officially hate bookies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This is the situation
    If you are not given a P45 when you leave your job you should first ask your employer for it. If the employer does not supply it you should contact your local tax office. Revenue will contact the employer and obtain your P45 for you. If you have started a new job, Revenue will send you a new tax credit certificate so you will not have to pay emergency tax in your new job.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/pay-and-employment/no_P45_no_P60

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Rang them there thanks for the info

they say as they have incorrectly paid me it's on my P45 and i need to pay them back before they can adjust that :S

This doesn't sound right does it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't see why they can't adjust your P45 and work out a repayment schedule separately. I'd get more forceful if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd say contact revenue and explain to them that you have requested your P45 now on several occasions and it hasn't been forthcoming.

They don't need to know the back story. Just tell them you have requested your P45 and your former employers has not supplied you with it.

The repayments are a totally different situation to this.

Advertisement