Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Daylight Savings" - friend or foe...

• 30-03-2010 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

So I woke up realising that the clocks have gone forward, and it made me wonder why... Supposedly it's to save day light and make us use electricity more efficiently... But lying there made me think of a possibility of a hidden agenda... I've come up with a few opinions of my own...

1) First off, we all know that only north Americans change their clocks forward a month earlier than everyone else, this causes a timezone anomaly that perhaps is exploited by the powers that be to financially gain from any stock market indescrepancies....

2) And who changed this month rule? It wasn't always like this... Further research shows that who else other than good ol' Bush and his NWO cronies are responsible... Cleverly disguising it under the pretences of the "global warming" hoax those NWO criminals conjured up in conjuction with those "enviromentalists" :rolleyes: see for yourself (energy act 2005)

3) We all know that all that the powers that be want is control over us. Perhaps the changing of the time is just another way for them to control us. They want to condition us into thinking that we must do whatever they say and believe whatever they say. It starts with them being able to change the time. If we accept that they can do whatever they want, where will it end? It's a scary thought. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

- SW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

So I woke up realising that the clocks have gone forward, and it made me wonder why... Supposedly it's to save day light and make us use electricity more efficiently...

ehhhhh no its not..... daylight saving was invented before electricity....
    modern DST was brought about in 1895.... to give people more leiaure time with the daylight....

nothing to do with saving electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2) And who changed this month rule? It wasn't always like this... Further research shows that who else other than good ol' Bush and his NWO cronies are responsible... Cleverly disguising it under the pretences of the "global warming" hoax those NWO criminals conjured up in conjuction with those "enviromentalists" :rolleyes: see for yourself (energy act 2005)
    Ireland has been observing what we currently know as DST since 1972, though it was variably screwing around with the clocks since 1916.

The United States has been observing DST since 1918, the Energy act of 2005 only lengthened it.

Since most of us no longer toil in the fields and artifical lighting is widespread, there's very little benefit, control-wise of DST. In the past, the argument was that by shifting the clocks so that core working hours tended to be during daylight hours, you could get more work out of people before it got dark. We don't really have that problem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SkyWatcher34

seamus wrote: »
    In the past, the argument was that by shifting the clocks so that core working hours tended to be during daylight hours, you could get more work out of people before it got dark. We don't really have that problem anymore.

In the past there may have been a use, but as you rightly said, there is no point in having it anymore. The government doesn't want us to question it though because it's in their interests to keep it the way it is.

This is a classic example of the governments "Don't ask, don't tell" policy :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Foe. Definitely foe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In the past there may have been a use, but as you rightly said, there is no point in having it anymore.
    I didn't say that :)

DST has other benefits:

Safety: If there's more daylight during the hours that most people are active, there are less accidents. Car accidents statistics have shown this.

Economic: People prefer to shop when it's bright.

Health: More daylight results in lower rates of depression (no, really) and combats SAD. You could also argue that people will naturally get more vitamin D, which is essential.

Of course, it all comes down to perception of time. We would have exactly the same effects if business hours switched from 9-5.30 in the winter to 10-6.30 in the summer. It's much easier though to just change the clocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Or Poe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

No, definitely not Poe - foe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Daylight Savings FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Apart from having the hassle of changing the time what is the downside to this?

Id be interested to see a CT on some business man playing with stocks during the time changeover in Canada :)

seamus wrote: »
    DST has other benefits:

Well speaking as an average person about vitiman D its clear that irish people don't get enough of it during winter anyway, so I don't really see the point in that.
    Car accidents may occur for other reasons such as slippery roads, and since winter is around the holidays people do tend to drink a lot more. Health is a little trivial to argue over since our government doesnt care about our health, even less that we get enough vitamin D or road accidents. In fact most figures are slightly inflated anyway to keep it sensational, keep us in fear, fear is control.

The benefits are a clever way of concealing the truth.

-SW

• Advertisement

Torakx wrote: »
    Id be interested to see a CT on some business man playing with stocks during the time changeover in Canada :)

Correct! that's what i was getting at. It seems to me like there is a huge possibility of something like this happening. Does anyone have any info on this?

-SW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Well speaking as an average person about vitiman D its clear that irish people don't get enough of it during winter anyway, so I don't really see the point in that.
    Car accidents may occur for other reasons such as slippery roads, and since winter is around the holidays people do tend to drink a lot more. Health is a little trivial to argue over since our government doesnt care about our health, even less that we get enough vitamin D or road accidents. In fact most figures are slightly inflated anyway to keep it sensational, keep us in fear, fear is control.

The benefits are a clever way of concealing the truth.

-SW

fear can be self inflicted you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Are you kidding me? Daylight Savings Time was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that teh Lizzards... And have you noticed that the weather has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking why do the clocks go back? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of boards horology forum aren’t swallowing their story. Blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is it mandatory to bold random words in this forum ?

studiorat wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? Daylight Savings Time was a total sham! Think about it! Everyone knows that teh Lizzards... And have you noticed that the weather has started to act very strangely? They obviously don’t want this story getting out. I mean, what would happen if people began asking why do the clocks go back? Well, they may be able to fool the sheeple, but the members of boards horology forum aren’t swallowing their story. Blah blah blah.

Oh I see, so you're just going to apply that "how to start a conspiracy" thread to every post on the forum?

As was said in feedback, that thread was a bit of fun, but you're using it outside the thread as a form of mockery. You might not respect my ideas but I'm still entitiled to share them.

Oh I see, so you're just going to apply that "how to start a conspiracy" thread to every post on the forum?

As was said in feedback, that thread was a bit of fun, but you're using it outside the thread as a form of mockery. You might not respect my ideas but I'm still entitiled to share them.

That thread and your OP have two things in common. They both show how easy it is to pick any topic off the top of your head and turn it into a conspiracy.

So the clocks went back on Sunday and all of a sudden you think it's a conspiracy by teh elites. Did you actually do any research? Or did you just make it up?

You tell us the government doesn't want us to question the topic. That's just an assumption on your behalf. You have made the assumption a few times in thread already would you care to back it up with a bit of evidence maybe?

The question of Daylight Savings time was brought up in the Oireachtas on Thursday, 18 October 2007 by senator Fergal Quinn, one example, I seem to remember a few more too. So how come you say that the Gov doesn't want us to question the matter when it's been questioned already in the Seanad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Are you a re-reg?For someone that only has 5 posts you know the workings of the forum fairly well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wasn't Daylight Saving brought in to save oil that would be used in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

I hate the clocks changing but only because it messes up my precious sleep pattern!! But seriously their has to be some benefits to it does anyone no what they are??

Little D wrote: »
    I hate the clocks changing but only because it messes up my precious sleep pattern!! But seriously their has to be some benefits to it does anyone no what they are??

Post 3 and 6 sums it up pretty much.

• Advertisement

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Are you a re-reg?For someone that only has 5 posts you know the workings of the forum fairly well.....

Lets just say that I have been viewing these forums from a distance... I am a cautious man, I have set up a separate email account and considered using a proxy, but I know these aren't as bad as others, so I have been just carefully watching the free-thinkers and "sceptics" exchanging over the months...
    The question of Daylight Savings time was brought up in the Oireachtas on Thursday, 18 October 2007 by senator Fergal Quinn, one example, I seem to remember a few more too. So how come you say that the Gov doesn't want us to question the matter when it's been questioned already in the Seanad?

Heh, the mastery of puppetry as they say, of course, throw out a representative, that'll show us that we're in control... No sadly not, bankers control certain aspects of this country unfortunately. But do you remember what was said? Did anything change?

Heh, the mastery of puppetry as they say, of course, throw out a representative, that'll show us that we're in control... No sadly not, bankers control certain aspects of this country unfortunately. But do you remember what was said? Did anything change?

What the hell are you talking about? Who got thrown out of what?

Any chance we could have that in english without the thruter speak? :rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about? Who got thrown out of what?

Any chance we could have that in english without the thruter speak? :rolleyes:

Sorry I write in a hurry... But basically, any government puppet is thrown out to say "high-light" a particular issue... to make it seem everything is all well in good, most things happen out of sight - yet in plain sight... if you catch my drift

- SW

Sorry I write in a hurry... But basically, any government puppet is thrown out to say "high-light" a particular issue... to make it seem everything is all well in good, most things happen out of sight - yet in plain sight... if you catch my drift

- SW

I see. So far you've given nothing but opinion without any evidence to back up one word of what you've said. All we've had is some musings from your bed.
    Is there anything actually behind this or is this just a bit of a rant because you have to get up an hour earlier?

I have set up a separate email account and considered using a proxy

Why use a proxy server?In relation to boards.ie it is normally used to get around a ban.If you lost your original account due to the boards servers being hacked fair enough thats why you would use a different email account,but otherwise its pointless.Tbh i dont really give a crap just curious:)

Also you havent given any decent reasons for your OP.At least rebutt the points seamous made.Make the skeptics eat some humble pie:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

daylight savings really really Really Gives me the Sh1ts

My office is in Brisbane QLD
    My Forest is near Tenterfield NSW

NSW Does DST, QLD Dosent.

I balance my time between both locations, it is seriously Frustrating.

I think its a Plot by the Cockroaches to confuse Queensland and Criple our economy.

And dont even get me started on the Half hour timezone Change at the QLD - NT Border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd prefer if we stayed at BST, or IST if you want to be fussy, all year round tbh.

Well my reasons intertwined with my original opinions, asking questions, questioning authority and so on, why do Americans have it different than we do, and if it's supposed to be a change to benefit "society" then why wasn't it introduced by earlier presidents, besides Bush, who has a track record of being a NWO puppet. - Although it goes with out saying that all past presidents are just puppets of the powers that be - perhaps a plan like this was formulated many years ago...
    I guess those reptilians need the extra sun-light after all...

daylight savings really really Really Gives me the Sh1ts

My office is in Brisbane QLD
    My Forest is near Tenterfield NSW

NSW Does DST, QLD Dosent.

I balance my time between both locations, it is seriously Frustrating.

I think its a Plot by the Cockroaches to confuse Queensland and Criple our economy.

And dont even get me started on the Half hour timezone Change at the QLD - NT Border
    That sounds like a right pain in de hole mahatma!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

z_topaz wrote: »
    No, definitely not Poe - foe.

Yeah, Poe would be against any thing to do with more day light. :pac:

DST is for the benefit of farmers as far as I know. It would be pretty expensive to artificially illuminate an entire ranch. That extra hour saves a lot of time and money.
    As for the stock exchange, those lads never sleep and operate on various international time zones. DST wouldn't really make much of a difference there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭bog master

Bush brought in a new law to provide uniformity as to when DST begins and ends as some states had different dates to others. Certainly in 75-76, the US started earlier as was living in US then, and ringing home to Ireland on a regular basis, and always remember the few weeks per year when the difference was 6 hours not 5.

Advertisement