Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking when drinking.

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I gave up smoking 4 months ago:) and while I found it pretty easy I am still having trouble when I am out. I am fine if I am with people who don't smoke the thoughts never enter my mind, BUT when I am with smokers I can't help myself from smoking my brains out. Its not a mega problem as I don't go out that often(maybe 1 or twice a month) and I don't crave them the next day but it's getting on my nerves that I can't seem to kick this one last habit.
    Anyone got any good tips on how to stop this behaviour? Not socializing with smokers is not an option as my boyfriend is one of them:(
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Hi all, I gave up smoking 4 months ago:) and while I found it pretty easy I am still having trouble when I am out. I am fine if I am with people who don't smoke the thoughts never enter my mind, BUT when I am with smokers I can't help myself from smoking my brains out. Its not a mega problem as I don't go out that often(maybe 1 or twice a month) and I don't crave them the next day but it's getting on my nerves that I can't seem to kick this one last habit.
    Anyone got any good tips on how to stop this behaviour? Not socializing with smokers is not an option as my boyfriend is one of them:(
    Thanks in advance

Possibly put some money aside to treat yourself another time if you don't smoke when drinking, say 20€. If you smoke when out you have to rip the money up the next day(when sober). Otherwise don't drink when out the first few times and see if you can avoid smoking so that it becomes the habit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Gmol wrote: »
    Possibly put some money aside to treat yourself another time if you don't smoke when drinking, say 20€. If you smoke when out you have to rip the money up the next day(when sober). Otherwise don't drink when out the first few times and see if you can avoid smoking so that it becomes the habit

Thanks for the reply, I really like this idea and am going to give it a go the next time I am out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Gmol wrote: »

What an obscene suggestion. Give the money to charity or something for ****'s sake!

My honest opinion here is maybe just stop worrying and enjoy the few cigarettes you smoke the one or two times a month you're out. They're not going to have serious health implications if you keep fit and healthy the other 28 or so days. It seems ridiculous that you go out and consume alcohol and yet worry about the deck of fags you smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Another way to do it is if you really want to smoke when you are drinking smoke a big cigar. You will look silly smoking it and the smell is stronger than a cigarette. After a while you wont be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

What an obscene suggestion. Give the money to charity or something for ****'s sake!

My honest opinion here is maybe just stop worrying and enjoy the few cigarettes you smoke the one or two times a month you're out. They're not going to have serious health implications if you keep fit and healthy the other 28 or so days. It seems ridiculous that you go out and consume alcohol and yet worry about the deck of fags you smoked.

The purpose of ripping up the money is to act as an incentive, giving to charity has the associated feel good factor which defeats the purpose.

Re your honest opinion about just 'having a few cigarettes when you're out' I would suspect that you are either a social smoker or you don't smoke. Nicotine is an incredibly additive substance and most smokers who quit and then have one or 2 when they're drinking nearly always end up smoking full time again. It's like telling a junkie they can have a little bit of heroin on special occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi just an update on this. I have been out a few times over the last month and.... smoked every single time:( Its like a switch flicks in my head when I go over a certain amount of alcohol. I am not too concerned about it as I get no cravings the next day- but this is the second time I have given up(first was for seven months) and I really want to make it work. I am going away for 3 weeks with my smoker boyfriend and this is how I ended up smoking again the last time. That switch was thinking- oh sure I am holidays drinking alot etc. will stop when I get home; so I am very worried about it:confused:

On a side note its 4 months since I have given up and never have any cravings(even when I am drinking; its just a really annoying habit I have gotten into

On a side note its 4 months since I have given up and never have any cravings(even when I am drinking; its just a really annoying habit I have gotten into

It's not a habit, it's an addiction. The biggest myth about smoking is that it's a habit.
    A habit is something you can break easily enough. You can't stop smoking when you are drinking, that's not a habit.

Next time you are out drinking and get the urge for a cig, just don't do it. Don't go outside. Play with your phone, talk to someone at the bar.
    You have to make an effort to go outside and "smoke your brains out" as you said.
    Simplistic I know but only you can stick a fag in your mouth, light it and smoke it.

Advertisement