Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vBookie for Soccer Boards

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Why isn't there a vBookie for the Soccer Boards?

What is vBookie?
    What is vBookie?

vBookie is a virtual 'bookmakers' that allows members to bet on selected events such as football matches (such as correct score, first goalscorer... and even the amount of corners!), boxing matches, horse races... basically everything!

No money will ever exchange hands vBookie uses its own point system which has no more use than as 'bragging rights'. Read on to learn more about the points system...

What are 'Points'?

Firstly, betting points is just for fun. You use your points to place bets on games which are added automatically to your account when you register. You should have 500 to begin with in your account, with each bet thats added, a further 50 points will be added to your account just to make sure members always have at least some vCash to bet with.

Help with odds

Odds of "5/1" are "amount won per amount placed". This means that I would win 5 for every 1 placed. Of course, if I win, I get my stake back as well. Odds of "1/5" means that I win 1 for every 5 placed. I'd have to place 25 to win just 5.

Decimal Odds

Decimal odds are just another way of displaying the same information. 2.0 is the same as 2/1. 0.2 is the same as 1/5. vBookie only lets you specify odds in terms of x/y, but if you think in terms of decimal you can still work out what odds to provide. Simply think of your decimal odds as "2.0 / 1.0" or "0.5 / 1.0" and then multiply each side through by 10 or 100 until there are only zeros to the right of the decimal point, then just take the whole number part.

2.0 / 1.0 has no decimals, so this is the same as 2/1

0.5 / 1.0 has a 0.5, so multiply both parts by 10 to get 5.0 / 10.0. Then you can specify your odds as 5 / 10. You might also realise that this is the same as 1/2. The technique is a simple way to work out any odds you may need to specify.

Odds of 0.65 -> 0.65 / 1.0 -> 65.0 / 100.0 or 65/100. Then you can divide through by 5 to get to 13 / 20, although this step isn't necessary.

To be honest I'd love to see a vBookie on the soccer boards.

What be yer thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah good idea,there is one on another soccer forum I was on and it went down well with most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Would enjoy this. Would be cool to see the medal system incorporated for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Osu wrote: »
    What be yer thoughts?

We're trying to keep the number of plugins to a minimum so it's very unlikely that we'd install a plugin that is only applicable to a small number of forums.

Installing a plugin is only the start of the story. Plugins have to be kept up to date, and upgraded in sync with vBulletin and many are not built to handle the kind of traffic boards.ie does. Plugins require an ongoing commitment of development time and so it only really makes sense to spend that time if it's on a plugin that's of value to the site as a whole.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement