Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yahoo and other sites not working

Options
  • 30-03-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi just over the last few days a number of sites no longer open up properly on my desktop most notably yahoo, this never happened before and i havnt changed or installed anything recentley. I also have a laptop and that can open the sites no prob. I have tried numerous different browsers and none work. I am runnin vista home basic and have internet from 3 mobile, does anyone know how to get yahoo and other sites back opening up as I'm sure it must be something simple as 99% of everything else on the net works fine.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,159 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

download and run this just to rule out any malware, i've seen it cause that kind of problem before http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

are you using any p2p software, bearshare etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The very first thing I would do would be as Drunkmonkey suggested.
    Have you installed anything new lately by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 troybadoo

Hey guys thank you both so much for telling me to check for malware and in fact it caught 3 for which I removed, restarted and re installed but unfortunatley even tho I had high hopes it has not resolved the problem ie I still cannot access yahoo, I keep reffering to yahoo as its a common popular web page but there are a number of more obscure page I cant open either like nct.ie and others, yet I still can open and operate pretty much any other page or site i need to call up!
    Btw as I said in my origianal question I havnt installed anything recenly.
    Please, I'm certain this has to be a small problem, but a damn annoying one at the same time.
    Thanks again guys above, im sure by removing the 3 malwares has done nothing but good plus i have the prog for the future so thank u, still cant open those few sites tho for some weird reason!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What tool did you use to remove the 3 viruses?
    Try an alternative scanning tool such as Malwarebytes free tool - Microsoft Security Essentials - Ad-Aware - etc...
    There might be more in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

try pinging the sites and see if they resolve to a sensible numeric IP
    i.e. in command prompt:
    ping www.yahoo.com

on my machine i get this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging eu-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [87.248.122.122] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 87.248.122.122: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=56
    Reply from 87.248.122.122: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=56
    Reply from 87.248.122.122: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56
    Reply from 87.248.122.122: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 87.248.122.122:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 44ms

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

• Advertisement

Ok again thanks to everyone so far that has suggested answers, as above yes I can get into yahoo.com but not mail.yahoo.com ie i cant check yahoo mail or a 10% of sites either, so far I have carried out everything anyone abve has suggested, ive not downlaoded anything recentley, all I want is to open any web site I wish as I had done always til a few weeks ago!
    How in feck is ot that a certain few web sites all of a sudden wont open???

Anybody any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

What exactly happens when you try to load the pages up? Is there an error message?; or are you just saying that the page loads somewhat but just doesn't look right?

In any case, it could be related to your security settings - amongst many other things - or the the pop up blocker. You might have tweaked some setting but have now forgotten about it.

Thanks kev that sounds plausible, the site just don't open at all ie all I see is a blamk page, no error message at all and no garbled page, just a blank white screen and the computer telling me the page is fully loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

troybadoo wrote: »
    Hey guys thank you both so much for telling me to check for malware and in fact it caught 3 for which I removed, restarted and re installed but unfortunatley even tho I had high hopes it has not resolved the problem ie I still cannot access yahoo, I keep reffering to yahoo as its a common popular web page but there are a number of more obscure page I cant open either like nct.ie and others, yet I still can open and operate pretty much any other page or site i need to call up!
    Btw as I said in my origianal question I havnt installed anything recenly.
    Please, I'm certain this has to be a small problem, but a damn annoying one at the same time.
    Thanks again guys above, im sure by removing the 3 malwares has done nothing but good plus i have the prog for the future so thank u, still cant open those few sites tho for some weird reason!

Sounds like you've a nasty and persistent infection(s). These can be difficult to remove properly.

Head over to the Virus and Malware forum, read the "I think I have a virus" - Please Read & Try BEFORE Posting (Updated 12/02/2010) sticky and try as much of that as you can, then start a new thread having followed the sticky instructions. ASJ112 will help you as required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement