Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tweed

• 30-03-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Are there many places in Dublin that might sell secondhand tweed items? I've found a few jackets and the odd waistcoat, but am more looking for trousers, plus fours and breeks and the like. So far eBay is my friend, but shipping etc can almost double the costs. Any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jackets aplenty, waistcoats not so many, trousers, breeks, +2's and +4's are non existant. :(
    You'll need to make a trip to the UK to check out the secondhand/vintage shops and markets. I would imagine that a trip to Scotland would pay dividends.
    There are a couple of online golf outfitters that will sell tweed +2's but I've no idea of the quality.

If you want to part with some cash then you can try Dashing Tweeds. Love their stuff.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

OldGoat wrote: »
    Jackets aplenty, waistcoats not so many, trousers, breeks, +2's and +4's are non existant. :(
    You'll need to make a trip to the UK to check out the secondhand/vintage shops and markets. I would imagine that a trip to Scotland would pay dividends.
    There are a couple of online golf outfitters that will sell tweed +2's but I've no idea of the quality.

If you want to part with some cash then you can try Dashing Tweeds. Love their stuff.

Have looked around Dashing myself before, bit flamboyant for me. Thanks for the advice, have a list of shops to check in London, but can't afford the flights hah. Guess I'll stick to eBay. Are you a fan of twed or suchlike yourself. Am hoping to get away with dark coloured plus 4s, long black socks and black Chucks. Never sure what to wear on top though. Material, colour, patterened?

I've always loved tweeds but tend to stick with jackets and wescoats. (Theres a pic of my newest jacket a few pages back in the Latest Purchase thread.) I've done some hill walking in breeks and it was supprisingly comfortable till they eventually soaked through and then I'da cut someones throat for a pair of lightweight breathable modern fabric trousers. :)
    I've always fel that the suit rule of 2&1 applies. Two patterns, one plain. Or, two plain, one pattern. With a strong check tweed I'd either go wiht a patterned shirt and a plain jumper like a cricket jumper. Or, a patterned (argyle?) jumper and a plain solid colour shirt or polo.

I found that tweed jackets sit comfortable with anything, anytime and anywhere tbh - except perhaps shorts and an Aloha shirt.:rolleyes:
    Very versitile.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've always loved tweeds but tend to stick with jackets and wescoats. (Theres a pic of my newest jacket a few pages back in the Latest Purchase thread.) I've done some hill walking in breeks and it was supprisingly comfortable till they eventually soaked through and then I'da cut someones throat for a pair of lightweight breathable modern fabric trousers. :)
    I've always fel that the suit rule of 2&1 applies. Two patterns, one plain. Or, two plain, one pattern. With a strong check tweed I'd either go wiht a patterned shirt and a plain jumper like a cricket jumper. Or, a patterned (argyle?) jumper and a plain solid colour shirt or polo.

I found that tweed jackets sit comfortable with anything, anytime and anywhere tbh - except perhaps shorts and an Aloha shirt.:rolleyes:
    Very versitile.

Great, thanks for the pointers. It really is a horrible feeling against your skin when it soaks through, but does dry well too.

Sorry, one more question, any sites you'd recommend relating to tweed and the wearing off.

No, I've no tweed specific sites that I use. Sure hunting out the information is part of the pleasure of tinternetz. :D

• Advertisement

Yes indeed. If I find anything I'll post it up here anyway :)

Advertisement