Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centra

Options
  • 30-03-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi all,
    Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here,
    I was in my local Centra this morning in dublin and noticed they had stocked their fridge with cans of Coke with 39p wrote on the can,i witnessed a girl bringing one to the checkout, the member of staff took another can of coke from under the cash register and scanned it and charged the girl a euro for the can marked 39p on the can,It's not labelled 39p it's manufactured on to the can!!!!!,Seems the owner has bought a load of these cans across the border and is scanning the orginal 1 euro cans and charging double the price marked on the can,
    Who should i be reporting this too,It's outrageous!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

thegunshow wrote: »
    hi all,
    Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here,
    I was in my local Centra this morning in dublin and noticed they had stocked their fridge with cans of Coke with 39p wrote on the can,i witnessed a girl bringing one to the checkout, the member of staff took another can of coke from under the cash register and scanned it and charged the girl a euro for the can marked 39p on the can,It's not labelled 39p it's manufactured on to the can!!!!!,Seems the owner has bought a load of these cans across the border and is scanning the orginal 1 euro cans and charging double the price marked on the can,
    name one illegal act and i'll tell you who you can report it too?

Its not like the price is labelled wrong (not an offence in itself - invitation to treat etc) as its in pence, not a legal tender here. Only possible issue I can see may be to do with importing and vat differences but other than that theres nothing wrong. Shop somewhere else IMO if its an issue. Look at magazines for example, they always have a printed price in sterling, say £2.50 and the price at the till may be closer to €4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You shouldn't be reporting it to anyone. If you don't like them charging a euro for a can of Coke, don't pay it. The fact you know roughly how much they paid for it themselves (i'm guessing about 40c?) is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

€1 is the average price around. What the shop paid for it, where they got it, and what they sell it at are none of your business. Your only concern is whether you want to buy it.

There is no one to report it to as legally they can buy it in timbuktoo and sell it for a tenner a can and they are still not doing anything wrong.

Like everything in this country, if you want to buy it - buy it. If you think it to dear, then buy it elsewhere. You have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Surely if you seen it happen and the girl buying it didn't she deserves to pay what they charged her.

Er.... why?

The shopper picked up a can. They paid for the can they picked up, they left with the can. (probably drank the can)

Its only the OP thinking its "outrageous". Maybe they are a journalist trying to sensationalise this. Could even work for the sun.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thegunshow wrote: »

OMG!!!!!11
    Now tell me who are you reporting it to and how long did it take them to tell you its not a reportable issue
    :rolleyes:

Seriously people, before going off on some misinformed "sensationalized" rant its a good idea to actually get some basic knowledge on things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As long as the shop displayed the price that they were charging (i.e. €1) then there is nothing wrong with what they were doing.

The 39p you are referring to is a Recommended Retail Price (RRP) and is set by the manufacturer. The shop is under no legal obligation to sell at that price.

There is no Consumer Issue here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im with the o.p here, i tell ya something if they tried to charge me 1 euro for a 39p can there would be trouble.

Im with the o.p here, i tell ya something if they tried to charge me 1 euro for a 39p can there would be trouble.

In your case I believe the old saying "ignorance is bliss" or perhaps "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" in other words, do what you like - but you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ste.phen wrote: »
    You shouldn't be reporting it to anyone. If you don't like them charging a euro for a can of Coke, don't pay it. The fact you know roughly how much they paid for it themselves (i'm guessing about 40c?) is irrelevant.
    something wrong
    as
    price on display is the price that you pay
    that happened ot me only this thing was 19.99 on display
    when i reached the cashier, she scanned and asked for 39.99, i told her it was 19.99 and i was not paying a cent more
    the manager was called
    i repeated, price on display is the price the customer, he had to consult someone else on his phone, to realise that this is a fact
    i got the item for 19.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Shops have an obligation to display correct pricing. However in this case, the price printed on the can is not the shop price - it is the manufacturer RRP.

The shop should have their own price clearly displayed on the shelf edge or somewhere nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

goat2 wrote: »
    price on display is the price that you pay
    that happened ot me only this thing was 19.99 on display
    when i reached the cashier, she scanned and asked for 39.99, i told her it was 19.99 and i was not paying a cent more
    the manager was called
    i repeated, price on display is the price the customer, he had to consult someone else on his phone, to realise that this is a fact
    i got the item for 19.99

Actually, you're in the wrong there. They are not under any legal obligation to charge you the price displayed. In fact, at the till, you have the option to pay the price they tell you, or you can walk away.

In saying that, they should be displaying the correct price, and can be reported for that.

But again, they do not have to sell you the item at that price. If in doubt, you should look up your consumer rights.

Advertisement