Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on an effects pedal

• 30-03-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,
    Just looking for some advice on an effects pedal for an acoustic guitar. I've been told you can get one that bumps up the bass notes to fill out your sound. Basically, I play with a banjo player, I play acoustic guitar and I'm trying to find a way of filling out our sound without using a drum machine or actually adding members to the band ie a bassist.
    Does such a pedal/effects box exist? And where would be best to buy one, off the net or go to a good music shop?
    Apologies if this request seems a little simple but I've very limited knowledge of these things.
    Also I'd like to add that I'd love to be in a position to have extra band members that could fill the roles instead of having to try and replicate them with a pedal but finances dont allow it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Full as a Tick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i've had quite a few octave down pedals,and I must say only one came close to producing anything that could even be slightly mistaken for an actual bass

that was this pedal

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/octron1.html

all others have sounded slightly synthy,which is cool but maybe not ideal for an acoustic duo?

what kind of preamp have you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fullasatick

Thanks for the reply.
    I dont use a preamp, please advise whether this is a bad idea, as I said above, I wouldnt be too knowledgeable on these things.
    We use a Yamaha emx 512sc powered mixer and plug the instruments straight into it. We generally try and keep the sound fairly clean, with just some reverb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

I agree with PunchDrunk on the Octave pedal, they can sound quite synthy and are ok for single notes but if you are playing chords it can start to sound messy.
    You could try splitting your signal & running it through 2 channels, one for your normal sound and one which is EQ'd on your mixer to emphasise the bass frenqencies (but be careful it doesn't get too boomy).
    This may full out some of the low end.
    A "Chorus" pedal used sparingly may thicken up your guitar sound but won't necessarily emphasise the low frequencies.
    No harm in trying this or the 'octave' pedal in a music store anyways just to see what works for you.
    Regarding whether to purchase online or in the shops - most music stores here are actually quite competitive on prices nowadays and have prices that often match the German online sellers.
    Hope this is of some help and that you find something that works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think something like this may work, it's a more low tech way than a drum machine and you can just run it into your mixer & PA.

http://ellisguitars.com/stompbox.html

It's basically a wooden box with a piezo element and preamp in it. You plug it into your amp or PA and it gives a drum type sound when you stomp your foot on it.

Advertisement