Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fencing in Galway city

• 30-03-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Does anyone know of a fencing club other that NUIG which doesnt start again until September that is ongoing in Galway city. I would love to learn this sport and would really appreciate any feedback at all. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Maybe try these...google is your friend:D

http://www.irishfencing.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Coupstick

To the best of my knowledge, there are none.

Your best bet is probably to travel to either Cork or Dublin. Club contact details can be found on www.irishfencing.net

The other option is to get in touch with some of the organisations or clubs around, and see if anybody is willing to come and teach you. You can try getting in touch with the Irish Academy of Arms, which certifies instructors:
    http://www.irishacademyofarms.org/index.html

I'm not sure if there are any contact details on that website. However, Maitres Farrell and Couper teach in this club, http://www.salledublin.com/
    You can get in touch with them there.

Are there other people interested in taking up fencing? You may have a better chance of getting an instructor if you can get a group of people to express interest.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 reillymurph

Thanks for that. Will definately look into them.

Cheers

Reillymurph

No problem :)

It would be great to see another fencing club set up, if you decide to go down that route - there used to be a lot more fencing clubs in Ireland than there are now, I understand. Having fencing largely restricted to the college clubs isn't helping the sport, in my opinion.

Whatever happens, I hope that it works out for you - maybe I'll see you on the competition circuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 chiropteryx

Hi Does anyone know of a fencing club other that NUIG which doesnt start again until September that is ongoing in Galway city. I would love to learn this sport and would really appreciate any feedback at all. Thanks

Hi reillymurph,

I`ve got nearly the same problem - but I am not a beginner. I am also looking for a chance to do some fencing. I am in fencing since 30 years now and would be able to teach you foil and epee fencing if you like. It would be great if we can establish a little club in or close to Tuam. I have a bit technical equipment to start straight away. What do you think ?
    Otherwise I simply turn into a couch pottato....

chiropteryx

• Advertisement

Hi all,

ok - no response so far...
    Anyone else interested ?

Cheers,
    chiropteryx

Something I forgot to post earlier, the site for the private club in Cork city: http://www.cyranofencing.com/

I haven't trained there myself, but I know the coaches and some of the fencers there and they're all lovely people. The coaches all hold internationally-recognised qualifications. You could call them and see what can be arranged.

Chiroperyx, if you want to set up a club, you might call the Irish Fencing Federation and see if there's any help available for new clubs. I think that there used to be grants available, but with the public service cutbacks I don't know if that's still the case. Asking can't hurt anyway!

Hello Coupstick,

thanks a lot for your help. I still have contacts to the nuig and they are also linked with the Irish Fencing Federation. If I ever consider to set up a new club in Co. Galway it might be not too difficult to get some help.

It`s not too bad to have a bit training in Galway on working days. But on the other side it`s a pretty long way for me. I wouldn`t mind to drive an hour, but at the end there were not many fencers left. A while ago my favourite "sparring partner" and best epee fencer I know in the west also left Galway. Another problem for me was the fact that the nuig cancelled most sessions on working days and focused on weekends only. That`s why I thought it might be a good idea to set up something new - preferably in Tuam. But I would also go to Claregalway or Galway to continue.

I don`t have the paperwork as a coach. I was never interested in that as I don`t have to make money with it and we had enough coaches in the big club where I was in Germany. But I coached a college team there for 3 years in both weapons and spent most efforts in coaching one particular epee fencer for a period of 6 years. Good fun.
    So if there is a chance to continue - fine. If not I will do some archery and squash to stay in shape.

You`re right. I remember I met some fencers from Cork in Carrickfergus. Really nice people. It was a pleasure.

Cheers,
    Chiropteryx

Hello reillymurph,

you are obviously still interested - that`s great !
    I think we would have some equipment to start with.
    In terms of the "sword" :

I have 2 epees and 2 foils left. So I can definitely borrow you something - as long as you are righthanded. If you are a "lefty" we need to select and buy a new grip for you, not a big deal.
    Same thing in terms of the glove. I would have another one for the right but I don`t know what size you would need. Anyway - for the start every old leather glove will do...

I have also a spare mask; not brand new but still in proper order. In fact better than my own one...
    Pretty sure it fits.

We have also the scoring equipment we need for electrical fencing. It`s an older one for mains power and I have a set of battery powered wireless devices I built for myself a couple of years ago. It`s good fun to try them as well. I used them last year with a good friend here in Miltown for an outdoor session. But that`s just for epee.

I don`t know your size - so I am not sure wether I would have a spare fencing jacket or not. But that`s not really required at the very beginning.

It`s possible to start with a simple training suit and a pair of trainers for the sports hall. We have to focus first on simple movements (parries, attacks) and footwork. Don`t worry - I wouldn`t exaggerate it.

Price for the lessons:
    Rubbish. As I said, I don`t want to make money with it. Fact is, that I would prefer to use the sportshall in the community center in Miltown - if possible from your perspective. They charge us 4 Euros per day / person. So if you agree to go there it would be fine if you can pay your part. I don`t charge you for lessons. (Just make me proud on the first tournaments... ;-)
    I borrow you my weapons on my own risk. Means, if you brake a blade it`s probably my fault anyway. On the other hand it might be a good opportunity for you to buy your own one so that we can continue.

I just hope that more people in this area will get interested and we can get a real club established.
    (Miltown the next Tauberbischofsheim ? :-)))

Should we meet somewhere to talk about the details ? When would you like to start ?

Best regards,
    chiro

Hi reillymurph,

that might be a little problem:
    Over the week I have to do my job in Tuam. I can get off the hook earliest 5pm, so I could be in Galway at around 6pm. Any idea where to go there ? Kingfisher ? Probably a bit more expensive to take a raquet ball court there - I don`t know. But it`s an option.

Miltown is a bit further up the north in direction to Sligo (N17). It`s the first little villlage behind Tuam - around 42 km from Galway. Do you have a car ? Any chance to meet there ? What about Claregalway or Tuam to meet halfway ?

If your friend is interested as well - great, no problem. I assume it`s also more fun not to start a new complex sport alone. Let`s see how it goes...

So should we meet first on thursday evening ?

By the way:
    I can`t get any feedback from the system when I try to send you a private message. So I am not sure whether it works.... Your private messages work - could you please send me a private email address ?

Cheers,
    chiropteryx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pipistrelli

Hi there,

me and my wife would be possibly interested of teaming up, we are living in south side in Co Galway and may have good location for same as well!
    Me personally, being fencing Epee and Foil since age of 7 (now 41) and reached very high level in 80's in Europe. My wife is beginner but she shares my passion to this sport. Please send me an e-mail or private message with your details and perhaps we could get together and see where it may go!

Best regards!
    Maurice

Hello Maurice,

that`s great. Obviously you are a well experienced competition fencer. So it would be a pleasure for us to meet and cross blades with you and your wife. I just started to train up two people in epee fencing. We are planning seriously to establish a new club in a small village close to Tuam. Currently we have our training sessions on tuesdays and thursdays at 7.30am, on sunday mornings at 9.00am.
    Could you please send me your email address ? (As a private message, if you like ?) Maybe we can arrange something - would be great !

Hope to see you and your wife soon - best regards,
    Chiropteryx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 igorek74

Hi All,

I am looking for fencing classes for children - my son is 12 and he shows some interest in fencing.
    I contacted NUI Galway fencing club, and they said that you need to be over 18 in order to fence with them. The fencing secretary also mentioned - "I have been receiving a lot of emails from parents whose children are interesting in fencing, so you would never know, something might start up soon."

Does anybody know if there are fencing classes for children here in Galway city?

Thank you.

Hi igorek74,

thanks for asking. It leads me to the conclusion that there is definitely a need to set up one or more fencing clubs at the westcoast. At the moment unfortunately I would have a small and a bigger problem with that:

The small one:
    We are not located in Galway City, but about 40 min. up to the north, close to Tuam.

The bigger one:
    We are not an official club yet as I still have to do my "irish fencing master" first to coach children. This is planned later this year if some more people are still interested in fencing. It`s required from a legal and insurance perspective. Once we have that sorted, you (incl. your son) are welcome.

Anyway:
    What I can offer your son at the moment is just a short introduction in terms of showing him the equipment, giving basic information and a chance to have a closer look on a few epee fights in our training sessions. Spectators are always welcome. We do training on tuesday and thursday evenings and also on sunday mornings.
    Based on my experiences as a fencing trainer in germany the age of 12 is really a good one for starting this sport. Hope he can wait till I am allowed to give him lessons.

Best regards,
    chiropteryx

Hello chiropteryx!

Thank you for your prompt answer.
    "Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7.30am, on Sunday mornings at 9.00am" - could you please give me directions so one day we can come to see your epee fights?

Thanks.
    Igor

Hello igorek74,

sorry, bad news - hope you have a look here in the forum before you drive to our Community Center:

My fencing partner just texted me that he caught a flu and has no chance to do it tomorrow. So I`ll have nobody to fight with.

Next sessions is planned for tuesday, but just in a squash court in the community center. Assuming he recovered till then we would start at 8pm.

Would you mind to send me (privately !) a mob. no. so that we can get in contact directly ? Would make the things easier.
    Sorry for all the hassle. Hope to see you later.

Best regards,
    chiropteryx

Sorry, still have my problems with this board:
    Can`t get confirmed when I sent a private message - so I am not sure wheather it was delivered or not. So I send it here in the public again :

Hi igorek74,

what a waste of time, really sorry to hear that. I wasn`t happy about getting it cancelled on such a short notice either. The situation became worse for my fencing partner - I received further textes this morning. So I don`t expect him to be fit as a fiddle on tuesday, we will see. Following thursday and sunday I wouldn`t have a chance due to my visitors as mentioned. So the next good chance would be sunday the 30stJan2011.

Sorry again for all that hassle -

Best regards,
    chiropteryx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Can`t get confirmed when I sent a private mes

Just check your sent box :)

Hi chiropteryx,

Yes, I received your private message.

No problem, Hope he will recover soon. I will try to come to your next fencing session on Sunday (30th of Jan) - I will contact you in advance.

Regards.
    Igor

Hi yomchi,

thanks for your input. Unfortunately didn`t work as the sent box was the thing I checked first :)
    Anyway - I`m sure I make another stupid mistake. Or I`m just too impatient.... :confused:

cheers,
    chiropteryx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 banitoo7ie

Hello igorek74,

sorry, bad news - hope you have a look here in the forum before you drive to our Community Center:

My fencing partner just texted me that he caught a flu and has no chance to do it tomorrow. So I`ll have nobody to fight with.

Next sessions is planned for tuesday, but just in a squash court in the community center. Assuming he recovered till then we would start at 8pm.

Would you mind to send me (privately !) a mob. no. so that we can get in contact directly ? Would make the things easier.
    Sorry for all the hassle. Hope to see you later.

Best regards,
    chiropteryx

Hi Chiropteryx

I would be interested in doing fencing, i work in Tuam 3 days a week but live in Galway City. Have always wanted to do it but never found a club or place outside NUIG

Thanks

banitoo7ie

Hi banitoo7ie,

I also work in Tuam - for the biggest company in town. We are not colleagues, are we ? :-)

Anyway - we do fencing (foil and mostly epee) on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. You can join us and have a first look on fights and lessons whenever you like.

Fencers from the NUIG (including the best epee fencer I know from there) show up on the Wednesday for a few good fights. Sunday mornings we focus slightly more on lessons....

How old are you ? Right or left handed ? Any experiences in fencing ?
    Other sports ?

Best regards,
    Chiro

Hi banitoo7ie,

I also work in Tuam - for the biggest company in town. We are not colleagues, are we ? :-)

Anyway - we do fencing (foil and mostly epee) on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. You can join us and have a first look on fights and lessons whenever you like.

Fencers from the NUIG (including the best epee fencer I know from there) show up on the Wednesday for a few good fights. Sunday mornings we focus slightly more on lessons....

How old are you ? Right or left handed ? Any experiences in fencing ?
    Other sports ?

Best regards,
    Chiro

Hi Chiro

No I work in in an Insurance Office in Tuam :)

What time on wednesdays and sundays do u train and where?

Im 32 Right handed, no experience. Just started doing Kando.

Banit007ie

Hi banitoo7ie,

join us in the Community Center Milltown : Wednesday at 7:00pm or Sunday at 10:00am.
    Standard indoor training gear is sufficient. Maybe a leather glove will help doing the first steps.
    One of my students started about a half year ago. He`s about the same age. So it would be the right moment for you to give it a start. Hope I can convince you to wield your weapon with one hand... :-)

Hope to see you soon -
    chiropteryx

Hi banitoo7ie,

join us in the Community Center Milltown : Wednesday at 7:00pm or Sunday at 10:00am.
    Standard indoor training gear is sufficient. Maybe a leather glove will help doing the first steps.
    One of my students started about a half year ago. He`s about the same age. So it would be the right moment for you to give it a start. Hope I can convince you to wield your weapon with one hand... :-)

Hope to see you soon -
    chiropteryx

Hi Chiropteryx

Tats great, ill get the leather glove and join ye.

Thanks

banitoo7ie

banitoo7ie wrote: »
    Hi Chiropteryx

Tats great, ill get the leather glove and join ye.

Thanks

banitoo7ie

Hi chiropteryx

Will be there this Wednesday at 7

Regards

banit007ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jojedi

Hi

I am a 39 year old female living in Tuam and would love to learn thsi sport! (Dont laugh!) I am 5 ft 7 and 9 stone 10lbs. It does not appear that there are any classes in the area so if you are still up for giving lessons I would be interested.

Jo :)

Hi jojedi,

we still have our fencing sessions every Wednesday at 6:30pm and every Sunday at 9:30am in the community center Milltown.

You are absolutely welcome to have a first look and to give it a try. I don`t see any reason to laugh - we had a few beginners in your age.

So hope to see you sunday morning -

Best regards,
    chiropteryx

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mohedian

any progress setting up a fencing club?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    we have our private fencing club running since more than two years now. For details please visit
    http://connaughtfencingclub.blogspot.ie/

You are highly welcome ! Next session to have a first look : Tomorrow at 10:00am in the Community Center in Milltown. If you want to do a first few steps bring your standard training suit, trainers and a leather glove (for your weapon hand) with you. see you then...

Best regards,
    chiro

Sorry,

I have to correct myself:
    Not tomorrow. Next fencing session is on Sunday at 10:00am.

Cheers,
    Chiro

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

Hay,

If your still interested in Fencing lessons the 1595 club is opening a fencing Salle in Galway city at the beginning of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

Hi

I'm setting up a fencing club in Galway. Club opens on Thursday the 4th of February 7-9pm Please PM me for more information and i can direct you to our site. We will be mainly studying Sabre but will look at rapier if there is enough interest.

Advertisement