Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MON

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

*dances a little*

bad news if lerner is turning into ellis tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

didnt see that coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Two days early ;)

DrumSteve wrote: »
    didnt see that coming...

i called it about 4 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Massive pile of BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Stan Collymore, "Martin O'Neil is 100% staying as Aston Villa manager.Not a grain of truth,not one.Is that clear enough?"

stan knows his stuff, assume hes bang on the money

however mon will walk in the summer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Stan Collymore, "Martin O'Neil is 100% staying as Aston Villa manager.Not a grain of truth,not one.Is that clear enough?"

* Posted from my mobile dogging device *

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Helix wrote: »
    i called it about 4 years ago

How come you want him gone? He took a team flirting with relegation from year to year ( Dave O'Leary anyone?? ) and has brought them up the division slowly but surely. OK the signings haven't exactly been household names but at least he has built a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Advertisement

How come you want him gone? He took a team flirting with relegation from year to year ( Dave O'Leary anyone?? ) and has brought them up the division slowly but surely. OK the signings haven't exactly been household names but at least he has built a team.

rubbish football

basically

rubbish football

basically

Fair enough, but not every team in the division can play like Arsenal :)

IMO the only serious blot on his copybook is last year's Uefa cup disaster when he prioritised 4th spot, then didn't get it.

IMO the only serious blot on his copybook is last year's Uefa cup disaster when he prioritised 4th spot, then didn't get it.

not asking to play like arsenal, id just like to see us knock the ball around a bit and have a bit more to our attack than knocking a ball over the top to either gabby or the wingers. we're a more expensive leicester in a nicer jersey

How much has Mon spent since 06?

not asking to play like arsenal, id just like to see us knock the ball around a bit and have a bit more to our attack than knocking a ball over the top to either gabby or the wingers. we're a more expensive leicester in a nicer jersey

I think Villa do a great impression of some of the 'top' schoolboy teams in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Make no mistake, if the rumours are true that Lerner wants to pare down the squad and reduce the wage-bill this Summer, then MON leaving would be a huge loss.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Make no mistake, if the rumours are true that Lerner wants to pare down the squad and reduce the wage-bill this Summer, then MON leaving would be a huge loss.

or is it that lerner doesnt trust mon with another big wad of cash after seeing very little return for his outlays in terms of progression in the league?

obviously the former would be a disaster though

or is it that lerner doesnt trust mon with another big wad of cash after seeing very little return for his outlays in terms of progression in the league?

obviously the former would be a disaster though

There is every possibility that what you say is true. As someone on VillaTalk said just now, why gift sponsorship to Acorns if there's a tightness in overall funds.

That said, new manager + no money + task of trimming squad = near certain disaster.

Overall though, I suspect this story to be complete traffic-generating BS on behalf of the Mirror or whoever started it.

Haha.

I get what you're saying, but with some managers there's always going to be that trade-off between good football and good results.

Personally I would prefer better results. Just look at Ireland at the moment. Its actually painful watching but you can't argue with the results. After the Stan and Kerr eras we would have been delighted at finishing second in a group with the likes of Bulgaria and Italy, not to mind being robbed of a chance to actually qualify for the latter stages.

One of the best managers around at the moment is José ( pains me to say it because I don't have a lot of time for him ). I don't get to see a lot of Inter but from his Chelsea days I don't remember the football being particularly attractive. Did the Chelsea fans care as they got back to back Premier Leagues? Hardly.

I get what you're saying, but with some managers there's always going to be that trade-off between good football and good results.

with the players we have i think its an unnecessary trade-off. its like the players are having the football coached out of them at times tbh. when youve got decent footballers who look unable to express themselves like they did at previous clubs its a bit concerning. we SHOULD be able to play very very good football, and occasionally we have a little patch where the players get it on the deck and stroke it around gloriously, but those patches rarely last too long, despite them generally resulting in us playing the opposition off the pitch

• Advertisement

with the players we have i think its an unnecessary trade-off. its like the players are having the football coached out of them at times tbh. when youve got decent footballers who look unable to express themselves like they did at previous clubs its a bit concerning. we SHOULD be able to play very very good football, and occasionally we have a little patch where the players get it on the deck and stroke it around gloriously, but those patches rarely last too long, despite them generally resulting in us playing the opposition off the pitch

Yeah, I suppose thats down to the cautious nature of the manager.

Do you reckon he would ever change the style of play? Surely he has to do something for the FA cup semi final? He can't approach it the same way as on saturday.

nope, he wont change his style. if he was gonna he'd have done it before now imo. hes too stubborn i think, which is fine if youre brian clough... but hes not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

How much has Mon spent since 06?
    approx 90 mill

more than a certain under fire manager has spent in the same period yet bullet proof O'neill hasnt brought any real improvement to villa

micks wrote: »
    approx 90 mill

more than a certain under fire manager has spent in the same period yet bullet proof O'neill hasnt brought any real improvement to villa

Thats a bit harsh isn't it? They were flirting with relegation from year to year when he joined them, they're qualifying for europe every season now.

As for the money, he had to spend that to even get close to the top of the division.

nope, he wont change his style. if he was gonna he'd have done it before now imo. hes too stubborn i think, which is fine if youre brian clough... but hes not

Just to let you know, I've seen you post on various threads and noticed your sig ages ago - I had always wanted to ask you about it, glad I could get your reasons finally :)

They were flirting with relegation from year to year when he joined them

honestly, that was a false position exaggerated by the fact that dol lost the dressing room and the fans, and the whole thing fell apart. the team were poor, but not 16th in the league poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Most Villa fans thinks MON is seriously over-rated and I have to agree. He is great at bringing an average team up to a good hard-to-beat side but that is as far as it goes. He doesnt seem to be able to make that step up from a being a good side to a great side. Another major flaw is he buys mainly just English players so his teams lack creativity. He is a good manager but not a great one.

honestly, that was a false position exaggerated by the fact that dol lost the dressing room and the fans, and the whole thing fell apart. the team were poor, but not 16th in the league poor

I just had a quick look at the finishing positions for Villa over the past 10 years or so:

2000–01 - 8th
    2001–02 - 8th
    2002–03 - 16th
    2003–04 - 6th
    2004–05 - 10th
    2005–06 - 16th
    2006–07 - 11th
    2007–08 - 6th
    2008–09 - 6th

Not as bad as I had imagined to be honest. For some reason I had an impression that they were struggling while the likes of JP Angel and Dion Dublin were there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Finally, another person has noticed O'Neill's terrible football!!!

Leicester...Lump it to Heskey and hope for the best
    Celtic...Lump it to Sutton or Hartson and hope for the best
    Villa...Lump it to Carew or Heskey and hope for the best

He will never get a big club job for the above reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Melion wrote: »
    Celtic...Lump it to Sutton or Hartson and hope for the best

Dont forget Larsson

Dancor wrote: »
    Dont forget Larsson

thats implied in the "hope for the best bit", in that theyll knock it down to him and he'll score

which he usually did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Villa back to mid-table obscurity next year so! Fire sale time.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Villa back to mid-table obscurity next year so! Fire sale time.

decent manager and we're laughing

we've got money, its just that im not sure whether the chairman trusts the manager with it any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has there any further sources for this? helix wats the story wit sources on Villa forums? Has the general said anything?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mirror prints a story and then prints a new one denying it. It's not the most reliable source of information, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has there any further sources for this?
    Plenty of rumours on other sites but nothing concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

stan knows his stuff, assume hes bang on the money

however mon will walk in the summer imo

:eek: your either stan himself or you've had a few early malibu's

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has there any further sources for this? helix wats the story wit sources on Villa forums? Has the general said anything?

sources from the club say that hes walked, and that he hasnt

club refusing to make an official comment so far

one of the sources saying hes gone says that there'll be an announcement this evening from the club

The only manager (within the realms of plausibility) that I'd favour over MON would be David Moyes. And I scarcely think he'd see Villa as a move up.

Anyone who thinks we could land a Mourinho class manager is deluding themselves. Let's face it - we'll either get a manager with some PL experience who is yet to really prove himself (Hughes, Mowbray, Bruce) or we'll get a total gamble from abroad.

All this points to a scenario that I wouldn't favour over having MON stay on for another year or two and continue the job he's hitherto done pretty well. At least with MON we know we'll be challenging for Europe each year and continuing with the steady progression we've made every year since he's joined.

I would be very wary of what lies ahead for Villa were MON to be sacked. It's not because I don't think better managers are out there, but we live in an infuriatingly capricious instant gratification society and history has shown that overnight successes are very much the exception in Football, not the norm.

A dangerous mix that could spark a wave of counter-progression for the club.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The only manager (within the realms of plausibility) that I'd favour over MON would be David Moyes. And I scarcely think he'd see Villa as a move up.

woy?
    bilic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

sources from the club say that hes walked, and that he hasnt

club refusing to make an official comment so far

one of the sources saying hes gone says that there'll be an announcement this evening from the club
    id say you be pleased with that if its true

villains77 wrote: »
    id say you be pleased with that if its true

i will

but i still dont think hes a mid season walker

itll just be the refusal to continue with his rolling contract after the season ends imo

woy?
    bilic?

No better than MON and completely unproven at club level (and an egomaniac) respectively.

jesus i wouldnt say hodgson is no better than mon

said it a few times on here, that imo hes the 3rd best gaffer in the premiership

jesus i wouldnt say hodgson is no better than mon

said it a few times on here, that imo hes the 3rd best gaffer in the premiership

I would agree he's a very good manager, but I'd still favour MON. Either way, isn't he heavily linked with a move back to Seria A this summer?

aye hes said he's got unfinished business in italy, and the juve result wont have done him any harm in that respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

MON walking would be the beginning of the end, IMHO.

Savman wrote: »
    MON walking would be the beginning of the end, IMHO.

nah, more the end of the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Reports that Martin O'Neill has quit as manager of Aston Villa have been dismissed by sources at the Premier League club.
    Radio and internet speculation on Tuesday suggested O'Neill had decided to end his four-year reign at Villa Park after a bust-up with club owner Randy Lerner over his transfer budget.
    Bookmakers had slashed the odds of O'Neill to be the next top-flight boss to leave his post.
    Villa are unwilling to comment officially on reports, but sources close to the club are adamant the claims O'Neill has opted to leave are "pure nonsense".
    O'Neill spent heavily last summer in bringing in the likes of James Milner (£12million), Stephen Warnock (£7m), Richard Dunne (£6m), Fabian Delph (£6m) James Collins (£5m) and Habib Beye (£3m).
    He recouped £12m of this outlay from the sale of Gareth Barry to Manchester City, but in January he admitted he had to adhere to a "sell to buy" policy if he was to bring in new players during the winter transfer window.
    Financial riches

O'Neill did not add to his squad and sold midfielder Craig Gardner to local rivals Birmingham for £3million.
    He has admitted Villa do not have the strength in depth of the established leading clubs in the top flight.
    And his squad is now being stretched to the limit because of injuries to Dunne, Milner, John Carew, Emile Heskey, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Stiliyan Petrov, with several of them playing when not 100% fit.
    There has also been no public response from Lerner as to how much money - if any - O'Neill will have to bolster his playing strength this summer.
    But chances of obtaining a UEFA Champions League spot and its financial riches have floundered.
    Villa are now seven points adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham after the 7-1 loss at Chelsea on Saturday, their first league defeat of 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He ain't walking, but will be gone in the summer. These stories usually have some basis in fact when they pop up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement