Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 40,000 new homes approved in 2009

Options
  • 30-03-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Interesting article here:
    Planners gave the green light for 40,556 homes last year - a 60% fall on 2008.

Official figures revealed that permission was granted for more than 26,800 houses and 13,742 apartments around the country, less than half the levels seen after the property market crashed in early 2007.

The Central Statistics Office said plans were also approved for 8,713 one-off houses.
    Given that natural demand for property in Ireland is around 25,000 to 35,000 a year, along with the overhang, ongoing building of this nature will have a profound effect on the eventual level of prices that property reaches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Interesting article here:

Given that natural demand for property in Ireland is around 25,000 to 35,000 a year, along with the overhang, ongoing building of this nature will have a profound effect on the eventual level of prices that property reaches.

Planning for 40,556 properties and actually building 40,556 properties are two seperate things. It look's like there were actually in fact around 26,820 new builds in 2009 with projections in 2010 for around 12,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

murphym7 wrote: »
    Planning for 40,556 properties and actually building 40,556 properties are two seperate things. It look's like there were actually in fact around 26,820 new builds in 2009 with projections in 2010 for around 12,000.
    A good point, but I don't think that developers have honestly got the message just yet. They will continue to build until they can build no more. Where did you get the figure for actual builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

A good point, but I don't think that developers have honestly got the message just yet. They will continue to build until they can build no more. Where did you get the figure for actual builds?

Goodbody stockbrokers.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/house-completions-down-by-50-in-2009-442570.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I would like to believe they're finding it more difficult to get lender backing on new 'middle of nowhere' projects.

Advertisement