Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

freyners wrote: »
    9 out of 300, are you serious. how can that that be fair?

Yes, he is deadly serious, only 9 of our class graduated with 1.1's out of about 300.

Its not a matter of fairness, its what people deserved. I was close to a 1.1, quite close actually, but I didnt get one, because its what my results reflected.
    freyners wrote: »
    we got an email from the course director about this, the cut off for a 1.1 is 3.3QCA or there abouts every year.

The cut-off for BBS was 3.35QCA for a 1.1 according to the course director.
    I thought it was always 3.4QCA, and those within .05 of that would be considered for a 1.1 based on overall performance, but I was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Mossin wrote:
    Its not a matter of fairness, its what people deserved. I was close to a 1.1, quite close actually, but I didnt get one, because its what my results reflected.
    figure of speech dude;), although at least we can safely say there is no grade inflation there anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Which course would you recommend for a career in accountancy, Business or Law and Accounting? I don't know which one to go for:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Depends. If you want to go into Tax Consultancy then Law and Accounting. For general, Audit and Business Consultancy Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

ninty9er wrote: »
    There are a limited amount of 1.1s. There were 9 out of 300 this year as opposed to 20 out of 58 for Law and Accounting.

I don't mean to moan, and I was nowhere near getting a 1.1, but trust me, if they were marked along the same scale...L&A would probably have only had 7/8 1.1s

I think they get away with it because it's an Arts course.

BBS + French had as many if not more.

Maybe it's because it attracts a better calibre of student. And I'm being deadly serious here, no offence to anyone past/present BBS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

There are a limited amount of 1.1s. There were 9 out of 300 this year as opposed to 20 out of 58 for Law and Accounting.

I don't mean to moan, and I was nowhere near getting a 1.1, but trust me, if they were marked along the same scale...L&A would probably have only had 7/8 1.1s

I think they get away with it because it's an Arts course.

BBS + French had as many if not more.
    cson wrote: »
    Maybe it's because it attracts a better calibre of student. And I'm being deadly serious here, no offence to anyone past/present BBS.

Yes BBS and French had loads in my year.... we all did well I think there was only 3 thirds in my year.

I'm not sure but when I did BBS and French it was 420 points to get in - but the median CAO scoring was 465 points.

BBS was 405 with a median of 440 .... so not a huge difference in the calliber of students.

However .... we did do french for 4 years which ment we started our minor earlier + it was a language so we all got to live in a french speaking country for a while if we wanted to.

Also (I'm giving out the dirty secrets now) my class roughly halved in size ... ie. after we got to choose our minor in 2nd year they switched out from french some even left in first year!!

I don't have the exact figures but certainly all the people I'm friendly with in my year all of them had a >500 point leaving cert coming into the course. I'll stand by my affirmation that I think it attracts a better calibre of student; my classmates spend a lot of time in the library and for the majority if not all the 1.1s they're on are deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Points don't equal a good QCA. I had 525 for a 405 BBS entry and I have a 2.2 degree.

Points don't equal a good QCA. I had 525 for a 405 BBS entry and I have a 2.2 degree.

And that's a fair point.

I have friends in both courses and by and large I'd definitely say the L&A-ers are more studious than the BBS-ers which would be the reason why there'd be a disproportionate distribution in the 1.1s. What holds the BBS course back somewhat imo is the entry points; if it was 450/460 points to get in that would weed out a lot of wasters from the get go. 400 points is easily attainable if you're smart about it these days in the LC and as I've said previously BBS is a cop out for some people [I've seen this firsthand from mates who put it down for the laugh almost] just so they can go to college and live the college life. That holds the course back a little; if the places were limited to 150-200 I'd say the course would improve no end. But of course due to funding that won't happen.

There are ~30 people in my class of ~60 on 1.1s which of course is wildly disproportionate. However from knowing them and the work/time spent in the library I'd guess that the majority of them are full vlaue for them as I've said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So does that mean that if you got 380 last year you dont get in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 martinaoe2

Business in UL...

LOL..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

martinaoe2 wrote: »
    Business in UL...

LOL..

Lets try not to disparage any courses here please

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

just wondering got 410 in last year but i dropped out...is that enough to be confident of a place in buisness next year?

I would say so. I doubt demand for Business courses will rise significantly in the current economic climate. The traditional professions [Solicitors/Accountants/Doctors] may well see an upsurge.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

ryanf1 wrote: »
    So does that mean that if you got 380 last year you dont get in?

I got 400 points and I'm doing BBS ...but some of my friends got 380/385 and didn't get offered the course at all, out of 4 of my friends from school - I'm the only one doing BBS in UL, the others are in Thurles and CIT. Just because you get the points required don't necessarily mean your definitely going to be offered the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just a few things...

The only people who should be concerned about CAO points is the LC students. The second you're in the course you want, points are irrelevant(excl transfers or whatever), you may hsve gotten a million points but you got them from a bad system. Who cares once we're in college what grade I got in Art. If ever I'm asked what my point were I simply reply that I got enough.

I will admit I'm a member of UL business students are wasters. I know plenty of students who are wasters but not all of them are business students. I know plenty of BBSers who kick ass at what they do. Don't tar them all with the same brush!

I can easily complain about their 12 hours/week but they have projects and stuff like that to do. I had between 21 and 24 hours/week this year for 1st year Science Ed but I had no project work bar Education. All of my 'project time' is spent in labs. It's not about hours spent in lectures it's about hours overall! There are plenty of students, no matter what the course, attend college ten hours a week but they're the ones who study the module the night before an exam!

This can be applied to ANY course - You get out what you put in!

BBSers- Don't worry, noy everyone thinks you're wasters.
    LCers- Good luck! Don't pick a course on the points/hours/titles. Take a look at the course outline and see if you like the modules.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    BBSers- Don't worry, noy everyone thinks you're wasters.

Dont worry I didnt think I was, and I dont care what anyone else thinks of the course I'm doing/did tbh, and neither should anybody else.

BBS in UL is a great course imo, although the changes they've made to the marketing major are for the worse imho. - Bring back "Selling & Sales" with C.C. - Best module ever, as I'm sure Burning Eclipse will agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mossin wrote: »
    Dont worry I didnt think I was, and I dont care what anyone else thinks of the course I'm doing/did tbh, and neither should anybody else.

BBS in UL is a great course imo, although the changes they've made to the marketing major are for the worse imho. - Bring back "Selling & Sales" with C.C. - Best module ever, as I'm sure Burning Eclipse will agree with!

Boom! Didn't take me long, did it? That module was golden. Whether you had any interest in it as a career (I don't), it is still immensely valuable as a learning opportunity.

BBS, like every other course in any college, is all about what you put into it.

Also, cson... BBS has an accounting option. If you think it's feasable that "The traditional professions [Solicitors/Accountants/Doctors] may well see an upsurge", then why not BBS as a result of it's Acc component?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

It's still semi there, but in the guise of 'Applied Marketing II'. A lot of sales and selling related content, with 20% as a sales presentation to Industry representatives (Nestlé this year), having completed a 50% mother-trucker IMC project.

Rineanna wrote: »
    It's still semi there, but in the guise of 'Applied Marketing II'. A lot of sales and selling related content, with 20% as a sales presentation to Industry representatives (Nestlé this year), having completed a 50% mother-trucker IMC project.

Thats great to hear actually! From what I was told [from lecturers and T.A.'s the module was finished, I'm glad to hear its still being done, as I think it was the best module I did in my 5 years in UL.

The presentation to the industry panel was superb [not only cos myself and idPlease won it] but also cos C.C. was the best lecturer on the course!

Presenting to Nestlé would have been interesting ... hmmm Chocolate..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Presenting to Nestlé would have been interesting ... hmmm Chocolate..........

Yeah we could ask them why they are sooo unethical in their work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Anybody here do the business studies with japanese? Is it a hard language to grasp? Is it worthwile doing? If i changed my mind after a few weeks could I drop into the normal business studies
    course provided I got the points? Also considering doing business studies with French but I highly doubt I managed to get the C3 grade anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Anybody here do the business studies with japanese? Is it a hard language to grasp? Is it worthwile doing? If i changed my mind after a few weeks could I drop into the normal business studies
    course provided I got the points? Also considering doing business studies with French but I highly doubt I managed to get the C3 grade anyways.

I think you need a C3 in French if you want to do Japanese, unless you're doing German or another foreign language and get a C3 in that.

I didn't do Japanese, I did Business and French but I didn't like it so I dropped down to regular business after first semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 southeast camping

me n my friend have business down as number 1 on cao's :D cya all der next year! n we booked kilmurry after we heard dat if u go 2 placey ur more likely 2 not bother leavin 4 classes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

got my place :D kilmurry should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ddemo wrote: »
    got my place :D kilmurry should be good
    See you there! Did you get the accomodation text yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jellybabies

Got my place today... Absolutely delighted! Have Plassey booked! can't wait to head up cya all there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

ryanf1 wrote: »
    See you there! Did you get the accomodation text yet?
    yeah got the text this morning around 11 :D going to be brilliant :p we start monday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Orientation for this course is wednesday the 1st.Could anyone tell me when do we start and when do we move up???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

galwayu wrote: »
    Orientation for this course is wednesday the 1st.Could anyone tell me when do we start and when do we move up???:confused:

Your lectures should start Monday the 6th. It's up to you as to when you move up. Your orientation is next Wednesday so anytime before then. As early as this Sunday coming if you want to have a bit of craic during orientation week.

Advertisement