Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

This may seem like a stupid question, probably extremely. :P
    But if I were to do BBS, and wanted to teach either Business and Accounting, or Business and Economics, is it possibleto from this degree?
    Like could I major in 2 and then get a H.Dip or not? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question, probably extremely. :P
    But if I were to do BBS, and wanted to teach either Business and Accounting, or Business and Economics, is it possibleto from this degree?
    Like could I major in 2 and then get a H.Dip or not? :o
    I dont think you can major in both Economics and Accounting. You can teach with this degree once you complete the business grad Dip.
    Maybe someone else could clarify?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I dont think you can major in both Economics and Accounting. You can teach with this degree once you complete the business grad Dip.
    Maybe someone else could clarify?

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out which way it works! :P Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

ynwa_17 wrote: »

I see, thanks! :)

So if I did Accounting and Finance or Economics and Finance would it be possible to teach Business and Accounting/Economics?

• Advertisement

Seriously, thanks!
    I've been trying to find something on it with weeks but seriously failed! :o

I google "Teaching after a ul business degree" :D

I google "Teaching after a ul business degree" :D

:pac:
    It still didn't really answer the question anyway, I suppose there could be someone on here who has done it, so hopefully! :D

How doesn't it answer your question?
    A primary degree (Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) with at least one business subject (taken throughout each year of the degree) and which is recognised by the Teaching Council of Ireland for eligibility to teach business.

I'm not particularly sure how much more information you need?

• Advertisement

How doesn't it answer your question?

I'm not particularly sure how much more information you need?

Yeah, I knew that bit! :P
    It's just it doesn't say anything about the Majors.
    Like, whether if I majored in Economics and Finance, or Accounting and Finance, would I be able to teach Business with that subject! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sulkinskimpy

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I knew that bit! :P
    It's just it doesn't say anything about the Majors.
    Like, whether if I majored in Economics and Finance, or Accounting and Finance, would I be able to teach Business with that subject! :pac:

you're sounding awfully confused and tbh running before you're walking!

First of all it's very hard to get the H-Dip in Business in UL or anywhere for that matter as there's such a high demand-the top 25 out of 200 accounting majors in my class got it!

I majored in accounting and minored in BIM (You'll learn all about BIM once you start in first year)

If lets say I went to do the H-Dip Accounting would be my primary subject, not Business. Business is the generalist subject-to explain that further, I can teach business as far as Junior Cert including Bus Org Accounting and Economics but for senior classes it's Accounting that's my primary subject. All teachers who have done the dip in Business may be required to teach Business to Seniors and Maths all the way up depending on the demand. but you've only one Primary subject so be it Economics or Accounting that's the one you must concentrate on.

I thought I wanted to be an accountant or even teach the subject and so I majored in it. From this I found out it's not for me at all but because of the broad course I can work in many parts of business.

One piece of experienced adviced: Don't go into the course thinking it's going to be a doddle! Before you know it it's week ten and you've all your projects to hand up not to mind exams starting in two weeks. it's a great course and a whole lot of fun but don't think you'll sail through it-those are the ones who get caught put-the lecturers often reward attendance unexpantantly so be aware. By making al your tutorials in economics, for us anyway in first year, we got 15% towards are final grade and the same in second year so use this handy tool-play it cute and it's a great course

Today at orientation the Lecturers told us what books we need. Do we need to buy them or can we just borrow them from the Library?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Get books from the library, or share with another student if you know someone well enough to do that.

Books are extremely expensive although the SU do sell 2nd hand books which may be a better option.

I rarely bought books for classes, and when I did it ended up being a waste of time as I didnt use them enough to justify paying that much money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Were you doing business Mossin?

Yes, I did Business as my undergraduate.
    I completed the old course, which still has a lot of elements which are similar to the new BBS course.

And you reckon it's not worthwhile getting the books for the courses?

Look, tbh it really depends on what u want from the course.

If you want to skip through on a 2.3 or a 2.2 degree, then barely go to class and dont bother reading any books or buying anything.

If you want something like a high 2.2 or a 2.1, then go to everything, and do good assignments, and make sure to read material.

I got a 2.1, and I did buy some books, but I rarely used them, even when it came to studying for exams, as past papers are made available, and knowing them inside out will generally get you through with a good B-grade, so no I wouldnt advise buying books.

As I said in an earlier post, they are expensive. Some lecturers will advise you [some even demand] that you buy books, but unless its needed to do online exams or something like that, I wouldnt bother, as there are ample books in the library. But make sure if you want a book from the library not to leave it until week 10, 11 or 12, as they will all be gone! Go in, photocopy what you need, and get out, thats the cheapest method, as you will not need the entire book for any single semester!

I want to do well, but I just can't justify all those books, particularly when they're going to be asking us in a year or so if we want to major in anything. To me it just seems a waste of time. Honestly I'm not familiar with the grading system or realistically anything to do with the college system. Do the library have the books that we need, by that I mean the schoolbooks

If you attend all lectures and tutorials, and do the readings that you are assigned for each class, then you ought to do ACE!

I will tell you that I missed a fair few lectures in my first 2 years, about 30-40% approx in 1st year, and about 20% in 2nd year, but I did so in modules I knew I could get away with it in.

I never missed an economics or accounting class, but I'd miss Maths or Communications, or something else .

The library may not have the most current edition of the book you are looking for, but it will have, lets say edition 2 for arguments sake, which will be 98% the same as the one you will be looking for.

DONT BUY BOOKS JUST YET.

Give it a week or two, until you see how you are settling in, and then decide what books to buy.

Ask for help here, as there are loads of BBS'ers on this forum, who can offer advice and assistance.

• Advertisement

Alright, thanks a million for clearing that up and thanks for offering the help. I wasn't going to be buying them anyway right off the bat, not until I get the names of the books and find out if I can get them cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

i did economics and sociolgy and got that microeconoomics book last year for the aplia online code

i dropped out and started business this year will i have to get the new book will my aplia logn ..if i can find it ...work or do i need to shell out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

anybody doing this by flexible learning

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Geminijosa

Hi Kilburn.
    I am joining yr 2 of the flexible learning course.
    Going in for orientation tomorrow (yr 2 orientation is wednesday, but seeing as i'm new i'll be joining the yr1 introduction tomorrow and tue). See you there

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ditto me too, we will have to watch out for each other !

Does anyone have any experience of the 1st year Accounting case study? Is it anything to worry about?

Its worth putting a bit of effort into Ryan, but its manageable. Just listen in his lectures, and you'll do fine.

Do you still get the option to do it in Excel or not?

I didnt bother doing it in Excel, as it adds extra pressure that I didnt need at the time.

you get an extra 10% for doing it in exel.

Ah yeah, but you dont lose 10% by not doing it in Excel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of the 1st year Accounting case study? Is it anything to worry about?

Hi ryan.

Honestly it's not much to worry about. I didn't do LC Accounting myself but I found people who had done it and that helped me a bunch. So try and get to know others with accounting experience. As a general rule, getting to know smart people helps a bunch. :D

Don't leave it till the last minute is my advice, I can remember pandemonium last year among people who only started working on it the week before the deadline. Not clever. You'll appreciate it when you have it done and everyone else is sweating over it, believe me. /evil laugh :p

If it's the same lecturer I had last year, he'll give out totals (i.e answers) for many parts of it during the semester that will keep you on the right track.

btw do it on Excel too. It's not that difficult and is an easy 10% tbh. Plus you'll learn how to use Excel which could be handy for the future.

If you got any questions, drop me a PM. I got a B in accounting so I assume I did something right. :pac:

Advertisement