Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolboy's Journal

Options
  • 30-03-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

30/3/10
    ANY ADVICE/CRITISCM WANTED!!
    Hi there so this is my first day and the way in which i will be doing this log is by editing it in many parts of the day so here we go

Starting weight: 13.5st
    Height: 5'9

9.15: Ate porridge(with raisins,apples,bannanas and cinnamon) drank cup of tea with two sugars
    1.05: Ate green apple drank a bottle of comeragh water (750ml)
    3.20: Lifted barbell 50 times(19kG)- 20(10 sec break),10(10 sec break),10(10 sec break),5(10 sec break),5(10 sec break). 20 sittups.
    4.15: ate 2 scrambled eggs with salt nd pepper nd ate 3 rice cakes ( good or bad?)
    5.20:Ate hot roast chicken salad( hot chicken,egg mayo,coleslaw,lettuce,cheese)[Dinner] and drank a glass of multivitamin tropical juice.

*** drank another 750ml of water****
    7.05:took 1 tsp of seven seas fish liver oil
    7.55: Ate a bowl of kelloggs crunchy nut, used low fat milk
    10.05: Ate chicken and coleslaw and egg mayo sandwhich (w.b) and drank cup of tea with two sugars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

The porridge in the morning was a decent enough choice but you need to eat something alot more substantial and sooner.You did'nt eat anything for four hours then had an apple and some water for lunch...Eat something!

Read the nutrition sticky and this too;http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/bulking_tips_for_newbies

when you say you lifted the barbell what did you do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

Remmy wrote: »
    The porridge in the morning was a decent enough choice but you need to eat something alot more substantial and sooner.You did'nt eat anything for four hours then had an apple and some water for lunch...Eat something!

Read the nutrition sticky and this too;http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/bulking_tips_for_newbies

when you say you lifted the barbell what did you do with it?

emmm I think there called reps you know up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

emmm I think there called reps you know up and down
    im not sure if your being sarcastic here or not but there are many ways to use a barbell...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Are you lifting it above your head? Are you lifting it from your hips to your chest? Are you picking it up off the ground to your hips? Each one is a different exercise.

Eating better doesn't mean eating nothing, it means eating better. Don't starve yourself, you eat healthier. Read up on good food and nutrition. Ask someone you know who eats well to help you.

Sangre wrote: »
    Are you lifting it above your head? Are you lifting it from your hips to your chest? Are you picking it up off the ground to your hips? Each one is a different exercise.

Eating better doesn't mean eating nothing, it means eating better. Don't starve yourself, you eat healthier. Read up on good food and nutrition. Ask someone you know who eats well to help you.

I have a bench. I lie down lift it down to my cheast and up over my head that counts as 1 etc.etc.

I also got 1 question for you guys any good foods that can go with lets say chicken for dinner eg. i used to eat say chicken,spuds,beans
    now i know that spuds aint that good for ya and its full of carbs so what can i eat instead of it and are beans alright?

• Advertisement

im not sure if your being sarcastic here or not but there are many ways to use a barbell...
    nope I aint be sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

That's a benchpress, are you doing it at home? You really need to make sure you're doing it right so you don't injure yourself.

Also, re:nutrition just look over all the info people gave in the threads you started, there's loads there!

yep doing it at home and I think thats all the exercise i'll be getting today
    snowin bad outside

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if you have DOMS tomorrow (which you probably should if you are a beginner) then your on the right track. google compound lifts that use a barbell also ..

diet is kind of ok, but need more substantial lunch and more vegetables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

man join a gym if i was you. doin bech reps bench press im not sure wat that will do but i doubt its gonna help u improve as a gaa player.

here take a look at this from the irish rugby website. might be very beneficial regards nutrition.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/9501_483.php

your young btw eat much more and train hard.

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    if you have DOMS tomorrow (which you probably should if you are a beginner) then your on the right track. google compound lifts that use a barbell also ..

thanks okay will check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

here take a look at this from the irish rugby website. might be very beneficial regards nutrition.

I just skimmed through that and it looks like a load of bollox

man join a gym if i was you. doin bech reps bench press im not sure wat that will do but i doubt its gonna help u improve as a gaa player.

your young btw eat much more and train hard.

Thanks that's a great website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i second this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

According to that site
    A well planned diet with a muscle mass gain weight training programme should yield about 0.5 kg of muscle mass per week
    Thats ~25kg in a year, seems a bit high:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

MrPain wrote: »
    According to that site

Thats ~25kg in a year, seems a bit high:rolleyes:

Not really its a pound a week, doing it for 52 weeks though is a different story ;)

Schoolboy google Starting Strength or something similar and google interval training, farting around with barbells and laps wont get you where you want tbh.

I think some of the other lads are being over critical of the dietary advice on the irish rugby site. yeah it is a bit old school in that it follows the traditional food pyramid and it definately doesnt place enough Emphasis on protein, but its fine other than that.

corkcomp wrote: »

I have doms ouch:p

I have doms ouch:p

good man .. right track so :p

• Advertisement

Weights are gonna be very sore today and I got trainin tonight but I think it will be called off

11:35: Ate porridge(with fruit) drank a cup of tea with 2 sugers
    2.30:ate 2 slices of toast with butter
    3.15: ate dinner- Lamp chop,cabbage,spuds and drank a glass of milk
    9.00: drank cup of tea with 2 sugars

Would you not cut out the the sugar in the mornings? Have honey or something instead? Or wean yourself off with a sweetener? I know they're nearly as bad as sugar but it'd still be a better option. 2 sugars might not seem like much but if you're having 2 every morning that's 14 spoonfuls a week.

i could try goin to 1 sugar??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

how bout a big glass of milk instead with toast?

That'd be a good start:) No-one expects you to change your whole diet in a week but wee changes like that will soon start to add up.

okies milk with toast nahh,
    addicted to tea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Seriously....your worried about being the best and your not willing to cut sugar to achieve it....

im afraid what will happen when you come up against a major sacrifice....

what age are you kid 15??

Have a look at cardios log...he is a prime example of what can be achieved at a young age by listening to the world of advice thats on here

agree with ^^ but once you are fit and healthy dont sweat it .. 15 is a bit young to be taking things too seriously .. obviously if (like cardo) you really enjoy it thats different

• Advertisement
Advertisement