Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC, can i get a distinction?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

hey,

ok, so heres the deal:

to get my first choice on the CAO i need 5 distinctions and my second choice is 3. there are a few subjects in each FETAC course.

lets say in one subject you get a merit for each of the projects you do, at the end of the year will this ad up to a distinction for that subject?

thats what im told by a friend but i just want to get a few oppinions on it.
    :o:p

thanks in advance:)

p.s. didn't really know where to post this, couldn't find a FETAC forum:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

clarke1991 wrote: »
    hey,

ok, so heres the deal:

to get my first choice on the CAO i need 5 distinctions and my second choice is 3. there are a few subjects in each FETAC course.

lets say in one subject you get a merit for each of the projects you do, at the end of the year will this ad up to a distinction for that subject?

thats what im told by a friend but i just want to get a few oppinions on it.
    :o:p

thanks in advance:)

p.s. didn't really know where to post this, couldn't find a FETAC forum:o

The only way projects could add up to a distiction is if the projects themselves got distinctions

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

The only way projects could add up to a distiction is if the projects themselves got distinctions

no, y'see out of 9 subjects, at the end of the year i only have 3 exams. over the course of the year ya do projects or assignments for each subject (4 or 5 per subject) and you get a grade on each one; pass, merit, distinction. what im wondering is, if i got a merit for each project in one subject, would i get a distinction overall in that subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

clarke1991 wrote: »
    no, y'see out of 9 subjects, at the end of the year i only have 3 exams. over the course of the year ya do projects or assignments for each subject (4 or 5 per subject) and you get a grade on each one; pass, merit, distinction. what im wondering is, if i got a merit for each project in one subject, would i get a distinction overall in that subject?

no you would get a merit, you need 80% overall throughout the year

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi
    I'm currently doing a fetac course..
    what are the subjects you're refering to?

Each of the projects, assignments you would have done so far will carry a certain amount of marks..
    take Communications for eg..
    you're structured report that you would have had to do is worth 25 marks, other stuff 10 marks others only 5...
    all these marks are added up at the end of the the year and only if you get over 80 marks combined is it a distinction...

Any more Q just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Ell69 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm currently doing a fetac course..
    what are the subjects you're refering to?

Each of the projects, assignments you would have done so far will carry a certain amount of marks..
    take Communications for eg..
    you're structured report that you would have had to do is worth 25 marks, other stuff 10 marks others only 5...
    all these marks are added up at the end of the the year and only if you get over 80 marks combined is it a distinction...

Any more Q just ask
    ah right thats grand. im doing a course in journalism so i was thinking about reasearch skills and media etc. they wern't very clear at the start of the year as to how you get a distinction and all that kinda craic.
    cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

See what the Reverend said. To get a distinction you will have to have been given distinction marks (that is, 80%) in all your work. So if a project is worth 10 marks you have to get 8 for it to be a distinction. It does not make any difference whether you have exams or projects or assignments.

You cannot get a distinction if you have had only merit marks.

Advertisement