Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best frontman of all time...Drumroll please...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Wasnt Elvis like a solo artist. Not sure if he is a front man as such.

For the majority of his career he played with the same band. He fronted that band, so he was a frontman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    For the majority of his career he played with the same band. He fronted that band, so he was a frontman.
    Yes but for all intents and purposes he was a solo artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Yes but for all intents and purposes he was a solo artist.

Let's not get caught up in semantics here. To me the frontman - or woman in fact - is the person fronting a group of musicians in a live performance. Yes, Elvis was a solo artist, but he was the frontman for live performances with his band, and a fantastic entertainer at that, which to me is what a frontman is all about.

In any event, I've listed others who should be listed far ahead of Gallagher. Worth noting is that Prince is also a "solo artist", as is James Brown.

Another I'd add to the list is D'Angelo, also a solo artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Let's not get caught up in semantics here. To me the frontman - or woman in fact - is the person fronting a group of musicians in a live performance. Yes, Elvis was a solo artist, but he was the frontman for live performances with his band, and a fantastic entertainer at that, which to me is what a frontman is all about.

In any event, I've listed others who should be listed far ahead of Gallagher. Worth noting is that Prince is also a "solo artist", as is James Brown.

Another I'd add to the list is D'Angelo, also a solo artist.
    My argument is a frontman has to be in a band where are there are some creative influences at work ie like Morrisey and Marr. Thats all im saying here. But take your point. he officially fronted a band of musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy hands down winner i think
    Wrote/co/wrote the majority of the music they played
    Had Great Stage Presence
    Could actually sing quite well (not a screamer)
    Music still sounds good today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's a hopeless list but we shouldn't be too surprised. Q has always been dominated by Indie and Britpop type bands, and quite obsessed with Oasis, so it's no surprise that Liam would be top. As 'top 20' lists go it's nearly as bad as Zane Lowe's dreadful attempt at picking the best rock guitarists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well it is just opinion I suppose - but obviously the correct answer is Morrissey. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Freddie Mercury. No contest. Jim Morrison in second. Liam Gallagher can go sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bon Scott

My God , it took a whole 15 posts for the truth to arrive ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Christy Dignam!!!

Is Meat Loaf not on the list??? :mad:

Liam Gallagher over Freddie? Idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Christy Dignam!!!

Is Meat Loaf not on the list??? :mad:

Liam Gallagher over Freddie? Idiots

No he isn't, it's an atrocity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

mars bar wrote: »
    No he isn't, it's an atrocity!

Really cant understand it??!!

His voice is 10 times better than Liam Gallagher could ever dream of. He sings his songs with real passion. Liam just sounds like he walks into the booth half arsed, sings, and leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Really cant understand it??!!

His voice is 10 times better than Liam Gallagher could ever dream of. He sings his songs with real passion. Liam just sounds like he walks into the booth half arsed, sings, and leaves.

I agree, I saw Meat Loaf in 2008 and he was unbelievable!
    Bruce Springsteen should be much higher up that list. He should be in the Top 5. Freddie should be no. 1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Front man has to have
    1. Charisma and
    2. Represent exactly what he is singing about.....
    3. Believe in the music they are making ....the
    4. Ability to control the crowd even if you’re not that in to them
    In no particular order but influenced by the link
    James brown. Without doubt have 1,2,3,4

The boss has 1,2,3,4
    Lead singer out of depeche mode1,2,34,
    Lead singer out of underworld has 1,3,4,( no 2 because the majority of can be described as nonsense)
    Maxim from the prodigy has 1 and 4 (so much 4 of makes up for missing for 2,3 missing)
    Frank Black (pixies) everything
    Kurt of the cobains everything above (less 4...point of nirvana was losing control)
    Bono (I hate the fooker) but excels in 4 and high rating in 1,2,3
    Jagger with the swagger everything and copied so many time by the young pups
    Elvis,jacko and madonna are the kings....oh sure up on our high horse elvis didn't write most of his songs,jacko touches children,madonna steals children but love or hate them throw any of us at one there concerts and I’m fairly sure we'd be converted...that's a front man/women takes you where they want you to be
    Snoop dog..... Comedy show or not...impossible not to have a great time at him
    Freddie Wembley enough said! Legend...undisputed....he is the best front man.....
    Lyndon’s bravado and what they did for the music was class and can not be discounted
    Liam Gallagher is a site front man! FACT
    Robbie Williams is a tosser and his music is ****e but he does have(had) charisma but sure don't they all when they are coked off they're heads

JOkE...RICK JAMES....IT'S A CELEBRATION BITCHES!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Jim Morrison is the best frontman ever, no point in arguing the point

Jim Morrison was a great frontman on stage but he always struck me as an utter gobshíte off it tbh. He was a bit like Liam Gallagher, but only with a brain in his head.

Have a look at Gallagher here receiving a Brit award..He's an embarrassment to the music industry, to himself and to humanity really.

This is him back stage. Oh dear me.

Jagger FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

In fairness why isnt christy moore on the list he should be here:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dave Grohl might not have been my pick for the top but I would have put him in the top 20!! That list is a joke tbh...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Birneybau wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/7519708/Liam-Gallagher-crowned-best-frontman.html

Are they taking the fcuking p!ss?

That magazine has been a rag for years,goes to show the intelligence of their readership really!

I must apologise as I am only back in the country and read the thread in the last few minutes. Please, I am reasonably intelligent but out of habit I now posess all 286 editions of Q Magazine.

Back in the day it was a great magazine, with great articles about music and in the main wonderful reviews. Sadly over the years it has gone to the point where I buy it to add to the collection and scan through it in about 30 minutes. The present editor Paul Rees should be flogged, sadly it won't happen.

As to the poll of best frontmen I will admit my bias and say that the Duchess of Zanzibar, the Baronet Lord Freddie of Mercury was and shall always be the greatest frontman of a rock band.

For those who disagree, due in part to their young age(Yeah I know I'm a dinosaur) I would suggest inventing the mythical time machine and go back in time and see Freddie Mercury in action. He had to be seen to be believed. He knew exactly how to hold a crowd, knew how to play to the audience while singing, and strutted his way through a song when not singing.

Having read the thread I would agree that honourable mentions should be given to Meatloaf, John Lydon, and yes, Robbie Williams. Even though a solo singer Williams can hold a crowd.

Liam Gallagher can nibble on Mercury's Knob, he will never be a great frontman, rather an arrogant Manc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Iggy Pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What a safe list.

My favourite is Wayne Coyne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Have a look at Gallagher here receiving a Brit award..He's an embarrassment to the music industry, to himself and to humanity really.
    Thats my first time seeing that. Whatever about Gallagher,that is such a crap shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Freddie Mercury was the best no doubt. After that you're talking Jim Morrison and Ray Davies of the Kinks. Phil Lynnott was pretty special too. Bryan Ferry should also be in the top 20, very charismatic on stage and was the very embodiment of Roxy Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Freddie Mercury was without a doubt the best frontman of all time!
    How the f*** did Gallagher get it??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

loyatemu wrote: »
    Iggy Pop.

In fairness, he sells a mean Car Insurance

Advertisement