Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger Gone To Lunch

Options
  • 30-03-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

With businesses fighting for survival it was quite surprising to be told while shopping for tiles one Saturday "Sorry folks can you come back after lunch". Needless to say we didn't.
    Then last Saturday we decided to give a local furniture shop a chance, but when we got there at 1 20pm the sign on the door read
    "Closed for Lunch 1-2PM"
    Needless to say we didn't.
    Why do businesses chase their customers away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Maybe its because of the recession that they had to let staff go and as a result dont have enough staff to cover breaks. People still have to eat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Maybe its because of the recession that they had to let staff go and as a result dont have enough staff to cover breaks. People still have to eat :)

But if the owner had any intrest in keeping custom, the busiest shopping day is Saturday, then eat a sandwich when ever they get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

But if the owner had any intrest in keeping custom, the busiest shopping day is Saturday, then eat a sandwich when ever they get a chance.

Ya thats true. Guess some business aren't as interested in making money as others.
    Are they well known stores?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not really a consumer issue, employees are entitled to their lunch and time away from work during this period if they wish, saying they should eat at their desk isn't very acceptable in fairness as they should be able to have lunch as they wish.

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Ya thats true. Guess some business aren't as interested in making money as others.
    Are they well known stores?
    Sorry should have made it clearer they are sole traders / family run businesses. The second shop open at 10 closed at lunch 1-2pm then closed at 5pm. Thats 6 hours on a Saturday open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

ocokev wrote: »
    Sorry should have made it clearer they are sole traders / family run businesses. The second shop open at 10 closed at lunch 1-2pm then closed at 5pm. Thats 6 hours on a Saturday open.

I think those hours are based on demand. I see in my own shop, that people dont go shopping till after 10am and most shops close on a saturday around 5 or 6.

There is no point being open to just scratch yourself.

There is no point being open to just scratch yourself.

And lunch time is usually peek as well on Saturday.

The first shop turned away 3 potiential customers, the second was having an hour lunch break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just to clarify, I was talking about the 10am till 5pm hours, not the lunch.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the 10am till 5pm hours, not the lunch.

We went to these shops cos we thought we will give the smaller local businesses a chance and not your Hardly Normal type shops, we felt kinda let down by the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I honestly think the OP is being very unfair to small shops. For goodness sake we are all entitled to a lunch break. Indeed the working time act has something to say about breaks as well. Being a small store they can't pay extra staff to cover lunch. A sole trader can't be expected to eat a sandwich behind the counter and deal with customers. I'm not involved in retail and am often put out by shops being Closed when I want something at lunch time but I understand how if is often necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I worked serveral places where I never got lunch away from the office because I wanted to keep the business open and thriving because I wanted to keep my job. Shouldn`t these people who OWN the business be at least this motivated. I would open all and any hours to do business in this climate - I would be open when no one else was to increase my chances. These people don`t deserve business IMO!!

A sole trader can't be expected to eat a sandwich behind the counter and deal with customers.

A sole trader dosent have to have his lunch at lunch time, there is always 5 minutes here and there to scoff down a sambo you dont need a half an hour to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

ocokev wrote: »
    A sole trader dosent have to have his lunch at lunch time, there is always 5 minutes here and there to scoff down a sambo you dont need a half an hour to do it.

A sole trader should be entitled to a proper lunch break, the same as anyone. And if this Saturday trading is as busy as people are saying, maybe there aren't 5 minutes here and there. And I'd rather not have to deal with someone who is eating, as I had to do once in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd imagine if someone told you to forgo your lunch and snatch 5 minutes to scoff a sandwich instead you wouldn't be happy. Bigger chain shops have the staff to cover lunches, tiny family-run shops don't. Bigger chain shops have the business to make longer opening-hours, sunday trading and not closing for lunch worth their while, tiny businesses don't. I can see where they're coming from but I think it's on the decrease, I see several signs saying 'back in 5/10 mins'- can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Kahless wrote: »
    A sole trader should be entitled to a proper lunch break, the same as anyone. And if this Saturday trading is as busy as people are saying, maybe there aren't 5 minutes here and there. And I'd rather not have to deal with someone who is eating, as I had to do once in a shop.

If the sole trader feels he is entitled to lunch and closes their business, then they can expect to lose custom. A lot of people working may only have the time to shop at lunch time, and to be honest if I went somewhere and they were closed for lunch etc. I would take it as an indication of their dedication to their business and reflect on what type of service or after sales care etc I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    If the sole trader feels he is entitled to lunch and closes their business, then they can expect to lose custom. A lot of people working may only have the time to shop at lunch time

So, "I can have lunch but you can't" is what you are saying to these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Kahless wrote: »
    So, "I can have lunch but you can't" is what you are saying to these people?

What I am saying is that if these people want custom then they should stay open during what is probably one of the busiest hours. If they don't then they can expect to loose custom. People can go to a competitor who is open. If on the otherhand their lunch is more important than their custom, that is their decision to make. But it also the consumers decision to make whether they will bother waiting and coming back when they are open, or just go to a competitor who is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Have to agree with the above poster. The double standards from some posters here are absurd. The employeee whether they are a sole trader or work in a shop are legally entitled to a 30 minute break after working certain number of hrs.

If this were in the Work Problems forum, and a sole employee of shop was told you can't take your legally entitled lunch break but instead eat a sandwich behind the till; the shop would be given the riot act by the posters of that forum and told to check with NERA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Having a break is not just about eating food. It's also about taking a moment off. Everyone is entitled to that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thankfully atlast people are speaking sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Having worked in retail for years and in one case in a store where I worked on my own when it comes to Saturdays there was never a case of being able to please everyone. I worked 9-1 2-6 on a Saturday and people complained. I then went 9-1, 1.30-6 and People complained. Then I went 9-2, 2.30-6 and yet more complained.

When it comes to Saturdays you can never win when it comes to taking your lunch break when the situation requires closing the business while you eat and take a time out.

OP taking a quick bite firstly is not healthy shoving a sandwich down your gob and rushing your lunch. And eating your sandwich at the counter is also unprofessional and most shoppers don't like to see that either. Its a no win situation for the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the celtic tiger was killed by falling masonry from a shoddily constructed bank, and never reached the lunch venue.:(

Advertisement