Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applications not recognised/working after installing new drive

• 30-03-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new hard drive. It is working fine and I have my original hard drive still installed. (Now my D: drive)

However, all the applications I installed on previous drive don't seem to work or need to be reinstalled on new drive.

For example, when I navigate to a particular application on my D: drive and double-click to launch it, it either doesn't recognise it or wants to install it again on C: drive.

Is there anything I can do here?

EDIT: Just tried launching a game on Steam and its looking for serial number even though its already fully installed on D: drive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You cant... just.... -

long story short - you need to reinstall all of your programs. All of your programs are installed with settings which assume they reside in the C:\ Drive, and now they do not. They need to be reinstalled so they will correctly believe they are installed in D:\ not C:\

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is a tool in "Partition Magic" that will change the original assigned "C" drive installed apps and move them to an assign of "D" - but you would have to purchase the application to do this.
    There might be alternative tools but generally such tools do a broad sweep/change for all installed apps, rather than allow you to do each one individually.

There is an individual manual way to do it but you REALLY have to know your stuff - and if your unsure at all - you must NOT try it.
    (do more damage than good, etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I thought maybe I could un-install the software from the original drive but none of them are showing when I go into control panel to uninstall software! Which makes sense to me now after what you said.

I guess I could just backup important files and then format the drive and then install the software again on new drive!

Advertisement