Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Galway Omniplex- What should Change? What's good?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was at the Galway Omniplex recently and I watch Avatar in 3D and I must the way they have the 3D set up is far more impressive then the eye although the cinema Itself seems abit naff!!! What do you think should change there it would great if it was overall a better cinema the eye bugs me but its prob better!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When is mid-term break over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Meh its just another cinema to me, it would be great if the popcorn and what not weren't ridiclously over-priced, but you'll get that everywhere. Thankfully there is a tescos across the road though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

i checked out the eye cinema last feb and have too say its 10 times better then the omniplex..

but saying that I have been to the omniplex a good few time I seen empire strikes back there..... Luke I am your father

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Totally agree that the Omniplex is way better for 3D films than the Eye. And that food is way overpriced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Refuse skobies entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The Omniplex is horrible. I used to just go there because it was closer but after going there one Friday and being told student rates don't apply on a Friday and it would cost me a tenner I haven't been back.

Ruby Tuesdays in the Eye ftw.

I much prefer the eye, it's a always clean, the floors arent sticky like in the omniplex and you don't come out with chewing gum stuck to your trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've been to the Omniplex twice in the past 2 years and both experiences have been woeful.

From the look sof things they still use film projection as the quality of the picture there is shocking. Star Trek had black tearlines running through the middle of the picture for the whole movie.

Then I went to see Green Zone :mad: The trailers we couldn't see as whoever the gimp was running the projector was projecting it too high so cut off half the screen. I couldn't believe it..We waited through 2 trailers when I left to tell the staff (as no-one else was going to do it)..10 min later the movie starts and they are projecting the movie too low now. Missing about 2 feet of the screen on the bottom.
    Oh and it also had the familiar black lines running though the middle of the film too.
    NEVER AGAIN will i waste my money on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

About 2 weeks ago I went to the Omniplex in Oranmore to see Alice in Wonderland, as the Eye was sold out, there were only about 30 people at the cinema and it was really nice! Only problem was I booked the tickets online earlier that eve (thinking it would be busy) and they sold me 2 tickets to the Galway one instead! I definitely clicked the link from the Oranmore timetable though... cost 19euro for the online tickets and then had to buy 2 more when I was there as they couldn't reach the Galway branch to confirm, nice cinema but needs organisation!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Eye Cinema FTW.

The omniplex was better before the carparks sank.

• Advertisement

I should clarify my point from earlier. Comfort wise, aesthetic wise and price of food wise, the Eye. And of course the student tuesday price. But, the quality of the film is better is the Omniplex, particularly the 3d. I think they have better glasses and in the Eye the screen can be 'darker' than the Omni. The Eye is also a good bit quieter audio wise than it used to be, which is rubbish when you go to watch a movie with great sound effects etc. Omniplex has overpriced food, sticky floors but better quality for 3d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Limpdik

ya and no diet sprite either wtf!!!! 3d is awesome tho something should be done in there its a disgrace!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's an amazing cinema experience for those old enough to remember going to the Town Hall back in the day, it made the Claddagh Palace seem like paradise at the time, as for the old Savoy , now that is going back.

We didn't have them luxuries back in the day! Twas an old man who pedalled to make the film run...:)

All joking aside, I do remember the Town Hall and the Claddagh Palace and I'm not that old...or am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Limpdik wrote: »
    The Galway Omniplex- What should Change? What's good?
    I was at the Galway Omniplex recently...
    What do you think should change there ?

I'd prefer if they spend some money on their market research...... rather than cheapskating it an online forum.
    I know it's been raining, but not everybody came down in the last shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I think actually cleaning the place would be a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

mikom wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they spend some money on their market research...... rather than cheapskating it an online forum.

+1

Free cinema tickets for a lifetime to all who suggest changes here on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The location: horrible if you don't have transport and want to go to the movies in the evening. I've done the walk back thru Woodquay lots of times, because I'm staunch enough to not let possibilities worry me. But I can imagine that lots of women wouldn't.

Also, f you want a nice coffee/drink/whatever after a movie, where do you go - McD's??? Yeah right.

(Yup .. it's market research on the cheap, I'd love to sit on bean bags at a paid focus group for them, but what the heck, at least they're trying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

To the Omniplex :

1 - clean the damn place for a start... I've seen five year olds getting stuck on the floors like flies on flypaper (j/k)
    2 - fix those stupid new seats installed a few years ago that recline waaaay back when you sit in them, leaving you staring at the ceiling and peering downwards to see the screen
    3 - certain screens (7-8? can't remember) have seats up at the back with a wall in front of them that leave the bottom 5% of the screen cut off. I'm 5ft10 but can't sit in those seats.
    4 - control the goddamned teenagers that make going there a nightmare

Oh, and to the eye cinema....

1 - remove all but a few of the quite possibly TEN THOUSAND cardboard cutouts that you clutter up one of the nicest bits of architecture in Galway with. They're horrible and they stop me coming to the cinema early to chill out upstairs with a pint before the film. You could do with decluttering downstairs, too.

2 - I am not a criminal, if I want a pirate recording of a film I can download it online for free. You are hiding behind 'health and safety' as a reason for me not to take my bag into the cinema screen. At least give me a coin locker to put my bag into rather than dumping it behind your front desk where anyone who wants to can lay their hands on it.

3 - fix your online listing and put up a few trailers, fix the posters that appear beside the movies and maybe make your site mobile friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

mikom wrote: »

If this is an attempt at market research, they could've chosen a more amiable name than limpdik!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

One thing I loved in Dublin is the 'Unlimited' Card, Cineworld have on offer. €20 a month and you can see all the movies you want. Why don't Omniplex or Eye offer a similar scheme? It got me going to the movies more and when I think about it got more of my money -when you're not paying for the tickets upfront you spend a little in the concessions area.

SERIOUSLY - UNLIMITED Card -sort it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Are you really so cynical as to think this is market research? If it is, it is the most pathetic attempt at market research I have seen. But, judging by the state of this place, that would be in line with using poor / cheap market research so you might have a case.

Changes anyway...there is a lot but
    - Start showing only films with 18+ rating and demand ID at the entrance door
    - Dress-code - tracksuits banned (actually implement that everywhere)
    - Clean it up big time

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

If this is market research by the Ward Anderson group, I'd like plenty of melted cheese to eat with my hat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bring back butter for the popcorn. Now. No nonsense. No lies. No health based excuses. You run a goddamn cinema not a ****ing diet club so bring them back or I start asking questions about the 3 year old hotdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Get rid of that bloody "lets go out to the lobby" advert at the start of every flick.

Does my head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

anyone else think the place is alright, and no better or worse than any other cinema, no? But that unlimited card thing sounds like a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Limpdik

This is great i love all the bitching about the omniplex and the eye there is alot angry people out there:D

Anyone notice how the main entrance of the omniplex area sounds like a ****ing school yard or a swimming pool its horrible. Some dude in the eye took my bag off me and said something about health and safety in the screens. so i was like whatever like I had to march all the way back down the stairs with my popcorn and tasty lemon beverage and hand over my backpack. worst thing was it was just left at the side of there box office anyone could just come along and grab it.

Jesus Christ people! Market Research, come on like **** that i dont care that much:p they could pay me in popcorn! what a life lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Limpdik wrote: »
    This is great i love all the bitching about the omniplex and the eye there is alot angry people out there:D

Jesus Christ people! Market Research, come on like **** that i dont care that much:p they could pay me in popcorn! what a life lol

I'm not convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

swe_fi wrote: »
    Changes anyway...there is a lot but
    - Start showing only films with 18+ rating and demand ID at the entrance door
    - Dress-code - tracksuits banned (actually implement that everywhere)
    - Clean it up big time

Dress code to go to the cinema?! Are you for real? I've never been to a cinema in my life where I've seen or heard about a dress code. God when pubs around Galway implement a dress code there is no shortage of people giving out but now we are expected to get all dressed up for the cinema?!?! :confused:

Back on topic, I think if the omniplex was cleaned up right it would be a much better cinema experience than the eye. There is something about the eye I have never liked. Well the popcorn for one thing is nowhere near as nice as the stuff in the omniplex although you are paying a arm and a leg for it.

I think the unlimited loyalty card would be great for one of the cinemas. I enjoy going to the cinema but at the moment I will only go to a film that I'm excited about and the rest I'll continue to download while prices remain ridiculous .

Advertisement