Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering UCD

Options
  • 30-03-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

For college next year, just wanna ask few short questions.
    Generally what are the people like there? I know that sounds bad but sher.
    Is the college too big, as in would you feel lost in there and is it hard to get to know people there?
    Whats the atmosphere there like?
    I know these questions could apply to any uni but any answers are appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Mark2006 wrote: »
    Whats the atmosphere there like?

Thanks
    UCD Meteorology & Climate Centre

The atmosphere is like a global ocean of air, affecting almost everything we do. It is a never-ending source of fascination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Kinda depends on what course you're thinking of doing. It's a fairly huge campus but you'd get to know it soon enough. Each course tends to attract a certain 'stereotype' but by and large the people are fine. It's a very PC environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Each course tends to attract a certain 'stereotype' but by and large the people are fine. It's a very PC environment.

What sterotype would you think is generally associated with social science?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Mark2006 wrote: »
    What sterotype would you think is generally associated with social science?

I'd possibly go with caffeinated philosophers. It's harder to stereotype the Arts faculty as it draws a very eclectic mix of people. As previous posters have said it can be possible to become 'lost' in UCD but there are tonnes of events organised for 1st years and every effort is made to involve people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yi Harr wrote: »
    . As previous posters have said it can be possible to become 'lost' in UCD but there are tonnes of events organised for 1st years and every effort is made to involve people.

I'd agree with that. Its what you make it. Resist the temptation to stay in your comfort zone with friends from school. Get out there and integrate. Without scaring you, if you don't integrate in first year, you'll feel progressively more lost as the years roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD has 40 million students etc... etc... etc...

It's what everyone else here will say: It's what you make of it.

Great college, fucking excellent computer facilities (I mean, I dream of as good of IT where I am now), pubs are grand for 1st year.

On the downside, you're a good bit out from town, accommodation is expensive, expensive bookshop, too many SU hacks (the less said about this the better), food is shite, crap shops (don't even get me started on the Campus Bookshop).

Social Science, some good people, they're like arts students except they're actually useful!;)

Advertisement