Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunderland away

Options
  • 30-03-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

because of the importance of this game i decided to start this topic early

i think the team will be

gomes

corluka --- dawson - basong --bale

bentley---- hudd -- kaboul -- modric

defoe -- pav

i think pal wont be played again until the arsenal game when his yellows will be wiped off. its a big game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

mickman wrote: »
    because of the importance of this game i decided to start this topic early

i think the team will be

gomes

corluka --- dawson - basong --bale

bentley---- hudd -- kaboul -- modric

defoe -- pav

i think pal wont be played again until the arsenal game when his yellows will be wiped off. its a big game

think bentley will be dropped for kranjcar for this one - he took a lot out of the ball last saturday - i think we need to hit them like liverpool did last sunday , fast attacking football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Massive, massive game. As mentioned by mickman I don't think Willy can be risked. If he gets through this game without a yellow, his cards are wiped (I believe?) and he'll be free to run riot against the top 3.

I'm not sure if Corluka is going to be fit and I'm wondering whether Kaboul has is what we need in the middle as I don't know much about the strengths of the Sunderland midfield.

Gomes
    Walker --- Dawson --- Bassong --- Benny
    Bentley --- Thudd ---- Modric ---- Bale
    Defoe ---- Pav

If Corluka is fit, put him back in there, and maybe put Bale at left back and Kranjcar on the left. My concern there is the middle and the physicality, or lack of, we may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

is it not clear that from the last two games , modric in the middle doesn't really work. agianst fulham we were overran and against pompey , we missed that creative spark - it's a bad sign when michael brown is made look a decent player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

yeah modric in the middle is fine at home against poor teams but away to a fairly good team he should be on the left i think. corluka will be fit.

wilson has to miss the fa cup semi as well, then his cards are wiped

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

As everyone has stated already the Sunderland game is massive. I think its more important than the Ar****l game. We need 3 points against the lesser teams so I hope Harry plays Wilson on Saturday. There is no point having him for the Ar****l game if we lose against Sunderland, and City, Liverpool and Villa gain on us. If he gets booked on Saturday and we win the game then lets deal with the suspension after. 3 points is all that matters at this point in the season. Harry rested him against Pompey last week because they are no world beaters. In fact 11 of us blokes on this forum could probably beat Pompey. Sunderland away is a different proposition. They should have beaten us at WHL earlier on in the season and now they have Cattermole back in the middle we need our midfield enforcer. If he doesn't get booked on Saturday then rest him in the FA Cup semi against Pompey.

Here is my selection for Saturday:

Gomes
    Charlie-Dawson-Bassong-Bae
    Bentley/Modric-Hudd-Palacios-Bale
    Defoe-Pav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to agree with Bodie,

everygame is a cup final here on in IMO and is a must win, if we go out and beat sunderland but loose Wilson we can deal with that when the time comes fact is we will live with loosing Wilson but doubt we can't live with loosing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Anyone know the update on Dawson's injury? Is he going to available for Sunderland?

Just been looking at Sunderlands home record and it's not bad. They've only lost twice at home in the league and that was against Chelsea and Villa. This is going to be a very tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Actually Bodie that's a very good point. We should be playing each game like it's out last. We need the 3 points on Saturday more than we need them against Arsenal. I've changed my mind, Wilson should play this weekend!

Also, Dawson looks like he's going to be ok for this weekend too;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/7537757/Tottenham-to-be-boosted-by-quick-recovery-of-Michael-Dawson-against-Sunderland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Gomes
    Bale Bale Bale Bale
    Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale
    Bale

Failing 10 clones

id go with the best team availble and leave out Palacios and bring in hudd.

Id throw a curve ball at them and start bale throught the middle as i reckon there devising a cunning plan on how to stop him on the left and this would throw them from the off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I hope Harrys cheap dig at Bent last year doesn't come back to bite him in the bum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think its a weird logic to rest Wilson for this game, 3 points at Sunderland is an easier ask than 3 points against Arsenal. Play your strongest team, win the game and worry about who is available for Arsenal when that game comes around.

Bale could be in for another good afternoon, Hutton has been playing RB for them recently so not sure who they'll bring in instead of him but it obviously wont be their first choice. I think I'd go for the Bale/Luka combo down the left, with Niko RM

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

there is no point in not playing palcios so he doesnt get banned for two gams, by not playing him for a couple of games.

no logic there at all.

Just go and win the game. all that matters now.

gomes

walker - daws - bassong - bale

nico - thudd - sgt wilson - modders

pav - defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I hope Harrys cheap dig at Bent last year doesn't come back to bite him in the bum.

Not saying we wont win but I have a feeling Bent will be on the score sheet because of this. Hope I am wrong..

I would second that,

I would put a few quid on bent anytime goalscorer. It's just football that he'll score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Don't be paranoid lads, he had his chance from the spot at WHL to do exactly that and he failed.

If he scores on Saturday its down to his good form and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

There is always the chance that Palacios will play, Spurs win, and he doesnt get booked. Everyone's a winner.

Morgans wrote: »
    There is always the chance that Palacios will play, Spurs win, and he doesnt get booked. Everyone's a winner.

stoke away would be seen as a harder match than sunderland . it worked out that day with kaboul so harry will do the same again

I agree,

harry has made the decision to go after the top three as best we can. Maybe I wouldn't have done it but I have every faith on the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

we won at Stoke.
    no reason why we can't win at Sunderland.

We really must win this one. The other 4th place candidates all play 2 games before we play again in the PL on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

we won at Stoke.
    no reason why we can't win at Sunderland.

We really must win this one. The other 4th place candidates all play 2 games before we play again in the PL on the 14th.

Agree. 3 pts is a must on saturday for us to go in to the 3 games against the sky 3 in top form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

I think we should go with Crouch and Eidur up front. Perfect away duo for me. SuperPav to come on if after 60 if we're chasing a goal. Defoe is only returning to fitness plus can go missing away from home so i'd leave him out.

If Eidur fancies it and gets revved up like he did away at Stoke - he could make a show of their back four.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Would be Eider and Crouch for me away from home - must win game just to keep that bit of daylight between us & the chasing pack .. Bent nearly guaranteed to score against us at some stage on Sat - hopefully we'll be a couple up before he does .. Sunderland have only lost twice at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

If we start Defoe we won't win on Saturday I reckon, we're opn a good run I wouldn't disrupt it.

Would only bring JD back for a home game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pav is one of the most in form strikers in the Premiership. I'd like to see him on the pitch as much as possible.

dawson and hudd out for this one. disaster!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SSN reporting it, also on a few Spurs sites.

Defoe in the squad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ah balls palacios has to start then and we will have to have dervite as back up for cb

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

It's even worse than that!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/team-news-020410.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jermain Defoe is back - but Harry Redknapp is without key players for the trip to Sunderland.

Our top-scorer this term returns to the squad after recovering from a hamstring injury but Harry faces a headache in central defence and central midfield as he prepares for Premier League clash at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the injury list again includes Tom Huddlestone, who is struggling with the ankle problem that kept him out for the best part of a month recently.

Michael Dawson is ruled out after an Achilles problem forced him out of the action against Portsmouth last weekend. Captain in recent weeks, 'Daws' has started the last 27 matches - a run where we've lost just four games in all competitions.

Vedran Corluka joins the defensive absentee list after he was also forced off early against Pompey with an ankle injury.

Ledley King is on his way back from a thigh problem but with him still out, it means Harry is without central defenders Ledley, Daws and long-term injured Jonathan Woodgate plus possible central defensive cover in Vedran and Tom.

"Michael picked up an Achilles injury last weekend and Tom Huddlestone's ankle has blown up again, so they are both out," reported Harry on Friday.

"Ledley is doing okay, he's not available but he's getting there. Hopefully he's not too far from fitness and we're going to need him if Michael's Achilles doesn't improve.

"Woodgate is out long-term and Younes Kaboul is cup-tied for Wembley, so we're short of centre-halves."

Harry's problems are not just defensive though as Wilson Palacios (adductor) looks likely to miss Sunderland and Jermain Jenas (groin) is still out - alongside Tom - so all three central midfielders could be out.

"It's a problem but we've done really well without so many players out injured," said Harry. "We've managed to keep picking up fantastic results and we'll see how we go again at Sunderland."

Aaron Lennon (groin) also remains out but the positive news is that he's progressing well. ""Yes, he's coming on well, he's improving," added Harry. "Yesterday (Thursday) was probably the best day he's had.

"He's worked hard with the fitness coaches and he's getting there. He's improving day by day, but we won't be taking any chances with him."

So palacios out as well good we have had terrible injury problems this year

Advertisement