Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunderland away

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This is a squad game, so BAle and BAE fight for a LB berth unless we are able to play Modric in the middle (vs certain teams only) and accommodate Bale at LM.

We do have to get used to adjusting tactics and team selection based on our opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

When Dawson first got into the team he looked immense, but only with King alongside him...today's lesson? Give players time to grow into their role.

sense but then we are Spurs and its always extremes! It's black or white with no room for the middle ground :D

shocking today Gordon made a couple of good saves but we rarely troubled him aside from that. overran in the middle and shaky at the back. even when Crouch got us got back into it we never raised our game.

they'll be points won and lost by everyone but its still gonna come down to Ciy away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

This is a squad game, so BAle and BAE fight for a LB berth unless we are able to play Modric in the middle (vs certain teams only) and accommodate Bale at LM.

We do have to get used to adjusting tactics and team selection based on our opposition.

True enough Ronan, lets hope we have this selection problem next week and for the big games coming up. Luka is not the man to have in the centre in games like today but certain circumstances required he played there. Might see you for a few pints next sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

All is not lost yet lads. We have some big games comming up and I reckon we will get something from those. I am pretty sure Harry won't allow a preformance like this again. Some of our lads probably felt they would take it easy today and mind themselves for next weekend.
    I for one am happy that we are even up there challanging for a champions league place and am sure we can do it in the end.

kakee wrote: »
    Some of our lads probably felt they would take it easy today and mind themselves for next weekend.

I think we might be jumping to conclusions a bit here.

It's far more likely that injuries finally caught up with us (I've heard it described as one injury too many on another site). Our defence had very little playing time together, our midfield was outmuscled and outplayed, and we were up against a Sunderland side coming back into form who are a formidable prospect at home regardless.

The early goal was a killer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i think its time redknapp left,some of hes team selections have been baffling.modric is just not prem quality,thank god for our keeper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think we might be jumping to conclusions a bit here.

It's far more likely that injuries finally caught up with us (I've heard it described as one injury too many on another site). Our defence had very little playing time together, our midfield was outmuscled and outplayed, and we were up against a Sunderland side coming back into form who are a formidable prospect at home regardless.

The early goal was a killer as well.
    formidable?they were whooped by liverpool last sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Burnley 1 Manc 6. :mad: Let's hope Brum can do something tomorrow.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

He's talking about Sunderland AT HOME.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

This is Anfield:

anfield2.jpg

This is the Stadium of Light:

Stadium_of_Light21.jpg

You work out the significance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

When Dawson first got into the team he looked immense, but only with King alongside him...today's lesson? Give players time to grow into their role.

not havin a go at him reckless just i would have king and woodie ahead of him any day ofher week. i just dont be full of confidence with him there thats all. course with playingtime and experience he will get better(i hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think its time redknapp left,some of hes team selections have been baffling.modric is just not prem quality,thank god for our keeper

what a ridiculous post. only laugh i have had all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Unfortunately I think this result means we have to beat Arsenal in a couple of weeks to stand any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

your right, taking us from bottom of the league and facing relegation to battling it out for the champions league in one season is just not good enough. I really thought we would have the title wrapped up by now and uefa would have invited us into this years champions league on style alone, i mean, we dont even have a chance of winning the fa cu...oh, hold on a minute......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Just watched MOTD. Wasn't impressed with Bent and his antics with the Spurs fans. I think most Spurs fans had plenty of time for him - he just didn't perform. 3 penalties - how many times does that happen? No real complaints about any of them except for Walker's being really bad luck. Shocking defending for the first goal and third goals.

Overall it seems like it was one of our worst performances of the season, with only Gomes preventing us from losing our goal difference completely. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

It's far more likely that injuries finally caught up with us .

I think that we need some perspective here and thereckless one is so right. Our first 11 is something like this:
    Goalkeeper: Gomes
    Defence: Corluka, King, Dawson, Bale
    Midfield: Lennon, Hudd, Palacios, Modric
    Forwards: Defoe, Pav

Of that 11, only five started and two of those were out of position. They were away to a decent side who are in good form and have many ex-Spurs that were detemined to make an impact. Not really surprising

In my mind the big one is Wednesday week against Ars*nal. Why shouldn't we beat them at home, if we can get some key players back.

Also what about Gomes and those two penalty saves. I remember everybody raving about Pat Jennings when he saved two at Anfield back in the early to mid 70s. Gomes deserves great praise even if we were well beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

hey fellow spurs fans,

First time posting on this page.
    in fairness it was a tough game to have 3 inexperienced lads in
    the back four (Bassong, Kaboul, Walker) especially since they're all second and third choice. hopefully the rest of the lads can get fit for the next fixtures, it's a torrid run in. I'm glad to be one of the lads who chose 5th/6th spot and FA Cup Final over 4th Spot.

Come On You Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Disappointing performance yesterday but I could see it coming tbh.

• I'm sure some of our players must have been thinking about Wembley next weekend and therefore bottled it instead of scrappping and getting stuck into them
    • There's no doubting IMO that injuries to key players have caught up on us
    • Sunderland are a hard team to beat on their home patch. Only 2 teams, Chelsea and Villa have won there
    • Our defence seemed makeshift, Walkers inexperience showed and boy did we miss Dawson
    Still, all is not lost. Until yesterday we'd been on a very good run so a defeat was seemed almost inevitable.

Harry now has to block the players minds from anything other than focusing on the FA Semi next week. Once that game is done with the players should have no problem getting fired up for the following fixtures. I believe we can take 5 points from the fixtures with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U. That might not be enough but whose to say that City and Liverpool won't slip up in the meantime.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

As has been mentioned, the injuries caught up with us in the end ... on what has been overall a good season this is just a blip ... once we can get a couple of players back from injury then i'm sure we will be more than up for it when it comes to Arse, Chavs and Manure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

3 points now a must against the goons , hopefully we get a few back from injury and we might even see that notts county lad on show for them !

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

BERBA wrote: »
    3 points now a must against the goons , hopefully we get a few back from injury and we might even see that notts county lad on show for them !

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

I dunno why they start some away games so lethargically, gives the opposition lots of confidence? Terrible mistake from Gomes for the first goal, we can rave all we want about his excellent performance but he gave the home team a goal start after a minute therefore he dictated the terms of the game- which led to them dominating and ultimately beating us.

Even a point here would have been a good result as City would have had to win 8-1 to pass us out. If we beat Arsenal at home though we are back on track.

Advertisement