Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband upgrade

• 30-03-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

hi there ive a few questions about the upgrade process if anyone knows the answers

last week i filled in the online upgrade forms to upgrade my line from the 7Mb service to the 24Mb service.

before i was upgraded (today the 30th march) my Line Attenuation was 28/12dB and now its gone uptp 32/14 and the line is now syncing at a speed of 12282/668 (kbps)

is this normal? im still waiting for the new modem, will i see a improvement once i receive this and will it sync at the correct speed?

my speeds have improved by around 1Mb, and the upload speed has improved by 200kbps and my ping is a little better from 50-60ms to around the 30 mark now

when i ring up 1905 to check how my order is going it says it was completed today

heres my speedtest results and ping tests + my full dsl stats if it helps with any answers

first test i done, speeds have increased a bit
    765998016.png

second test i done and im back to the speed i was b4 the upgrade?
    766000746.png

13696098.png

13696142.png

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 668
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 20.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 14.50
    CRC Errors 6 0

thanks to anyone that gives me a hand :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

strange timing from eircom, as i posted this topic i get a reply from eircom about the upgrade saying tho following

Dear Customer,

In response to your recently requested eircom broadband upgrade:

As work is required at your exchange to provide you with the 24mb product, service will be delivered to you within 2-10 working days. The modem you currently have may not be compatible with this broadband product, so we are shipping you out a new one at no extra charge.

Many thanks for your service

Sincerely,

eircom online sales team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dazdrog wrote: »
    last week i filled in the online upgrade forms to upgrade my line from the 7Mb service to the 24Mb service.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 668
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 20.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 14.50
    CRC Errors 6 0

Looks like you have been upgraded, the 24MB package will give a minimum of 12MBs which is what you have.

yes but why has my line attenuation changed? im still the same distance from the exchange, nothing else has happened, just hope eirom send this adsl+2 modem out asap

wont receive any speed increase till i have it, am i right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You must be on the ADSL2+ profile now, as 12Mbps doesn't exist on ADSL. That email you got was probably an automated one, and won't really have any basis in reality.

With an attenuation of 32dB, you're not sync at more than about 13Mbps, which is why you're on the 12Mbps profile. The fact that you only get 5-7Mbps out of it is one of the downfalls with contention and congestion. This speed may vary.

Your current modem appears to be ADSL2+ compatible, so that's all you're going to get, by the looks of things.

Attenuation will change with speed changes, it's explained fairly well here
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#attenuation

i have the netopia 2247-02 with updated firmware, maybe it is compatible? but why would there be a need for me to get a new modem from them tho?

eircom really dont make much sence do they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

ring broadband texh support and ask them to put you on the next profile up

is that even poss with my line stats?

if im maxin out at 6.90mb should i not just ring them up and get put back onto the 7mb package?

its a bit pointless paying extra for not much of a differnce

im gettin around 10mb so id say that roughly what im going to get, thats unless this new modem makes any difference

capturepue.png

Advertisement