Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a Masters, advice needed!

Options
  • 30-03-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,

If you guys were hoping to do a masters but you are unsure if you will be financially in a place to go ahead with it would you still go through the application process just in case?

I'm hoping to do a masters this Sept but it's 50/50 whether I can afford it and the deadline is this week. If I applied, was accepted and then come Sept had to drop out would this scupper any chances of being accepted to the course in future years?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

rjb80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you guys were hoping to do a masters but you are unsure if you will be financially in a place to go ahead with it would you still go through the application process just in case?

I'm hoping to do a masters this Sept but it's 50/50 whether I can afford it and the deadline is this week. If I applied, was accepted and then come Sept had to drop out would this scupper any chances of being accepted to the course in future years?

Thanks

In the same boat myself, have applied to 2 universities in the UK for 2 year part time and will just have to see how things are in September.

At least over there they allow you to pay in monthly installments interest free....so no big huge whack in Spetember.

I wouldnt think that declining an offer would harm you in the future. They accept all year around and at the end of the day it's easy money for them. TBH I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rjb80

Cheers, suppose I'll go for it and keep the fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Could you not take it and defer? Some places allow that, things like the PGDE don't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Some formal applications, I think, involve providing evidence that you can fund the course, e.g. a bank statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rjb80

I've applied for it so will look into the defer option if it comes to that.

They didn't ask for any bank statements.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement