Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a maggot in my food

Options
  • 30-03-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi

I food a maggot(dead) in a bag of nuts I bought :eek:. Preety grossed out as I'd eaten most of the nuts by the time I found it. I emailed the company and they've asked me to send it to them. Should I send them the maggot because if I do they could just throw it away and use the old "What Maggot" excuse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's unlikely they'd do that - but take some photos of it in situ before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Should I send them the maggot

Unless you want to keep it for posterity, I would say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

I knew a woman who found glass in biscuits. The rep for the company came to collect if for 'analysis'. That was the last she heard from him

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, take photos for evidence, using a ruler or another object to demonstrate scale.

Send a registered letter, along with the item, packaging and foreign object to the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Cheers All.

I emailed the company and they are sending a stamped envelope to me to send it to them.

Looks like taking a photo is the option I'll go for.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You could send it to a lab yourself to have it analysed. Then talk to the company when you have the evidence AND the report. Will cost, but they tend to take you seriously. Most companies will respond and compensate you for this kind of thing, and their main aim seems to be to get the offending object from you and keep you happy. Which seems fair, tbh. Its food, sometimes things go wrong.

Some will also follow up and tell you what the item was and how it got there. (Nestle did with me when I got a dodgy kit kat).

The food safety authority (www.fsai.ie) are also the people to talk to, if you feel the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Hi

I food a maggot(dead) in a bag of nuts I bought :eek:. Preety grossed out as I'd eaten most of the nuts by the time I found it. I emailed the company and they've asked me to send it to them. Should I send them the maggot because if I do they could just throw it away and use the old "What Maggot" excuse?

Did you contact the shop you bought the nuts in? It might be a good idea to let them know too, might save someone else having the same experience.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

could ya not just send them half the maggot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

My mother found a hair in the middle of a chocolate a few years ago, she sent it to the company like they requested and they sent her gift vouchers (not for more chocolate but a supermarket instead)
    we bought bottled water years ago and it tasted vile when we opened it so they had someone come out and collect the bottle and after inspection they sent us like a years supply of water.
    I say sent the maggot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Did you contact the shop you bought the nuts in? It might be a good idea to let them know too, might save someone else having the same experience.:)

This is a good idea but tbh I doubt the store will remove all the stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

This is a good idea but tbh I doubt the store will remove all the stock

Yeah but still no harm letting them know plus you may get something for your trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

pics....:cool:

are these Irish produce...?

thats madness... a maggot....sue the fekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Solicitor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Piratez

Most companies will take your complaint seriously and investigate as to how the maggot got there in the first place to ensure it doesnt happen again. Its not in their interests to have unhappy customers or foreign bodies in their product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bnick

Yuck, if this happened to me I would probably get sick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I just threw up a little in my mouth :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I once found a complete bluebottle embedded in a bar of chocolate (that I was 2/3rds of the way through)

The bar sat around for months as failed to pick up pen and paper to do something about it. So do something, but don't post up here as I'm going to be bitter

gobo99 wrote: »
    could ya not just send them half the maggot?

Don't know if i'd be happy cutting it in half to be honest.

Still not sure what to do???

They have sent me a pre paid envelope with a letter containing the following:

Dear S****

Thank you for contacting us regarding the H****** F*** Pistachios which you purchased recently, and i order for us to to investigate this further I would be greatful if you could kindly return the product in the enclosed pre paid envelope.

Once the sample has been returned I will liaise with our Quality Department. I will then be in contact with you as soon as I can to inform you of our findings.

Yours sincerely,

S**** B****

uberwolf wrote: »
    I once found a complete bluebottle embedded in a bar of chocolate (that I was 2/3rds of the way through)

The bar sat around for months as failed to pick up pen and paper to do something about it. So do something, but don't post up here as I'm going to be bitter

Was it the nut and raisin one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

When I was a kid I found a dead wasp in my Rice Krispies. We never bothered to send it off.
    I say send it off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know if i'd be happy cutting it in half to be honest.

Still not sure what to do???

They have sent me a pre paid envelope with a letter containing the following:

Dear S****

Thank you for contacting us regarding the H****** F*** Pistachios which you purchased recently, and i order for us to to investigate this further I would be greatful if you could kindly return the product in the enclosed pre paid envelope.

Once the sample has been returned I will liaise with our Quality Department. I will then be in contact with you as soon as I can to inform you of our findings.

Yours sincerely,

S**** B****

I'm puzzled ... what on earth is the problem with sending it to them? They've sent you a pre-paid envelope so there's no expense on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

Alun wrote: »
    I'm puzzled ... what on earth is the problem with sending it to them? They've sent you a pre-paid envelope so there's no expense on your part.

I don't think it's the expense. I think it's more a case of being worried that they'll throw away the maggot and then refute all knowledge of it.

OP, I'd send it not in their envelope, but by registered post, as well as taking photos and measuring the scale of it. If you send it by registered post, you have proof of it being sent. Better yet, video yourself taking it from the bag, putting it in the envelope and posting it.

That's exactly it Mackmuffin. For those who watch the Simpsons the old "What trillion dollar note" scam.

What I'm leaning towards doing is asking them to come out to me and they can have a look at it in my house. Do you think that would be acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That's exactly it Mackmuffin. For those who watch the Simpsons the old "What trillion dollar note" scam.

What I'm leaning towards doing is asking them to come out to me and they can have a look at it in my house. Do you think that would be acceptable?

Seriously, if they're a well known, reputable company, they will want to get to the bottom of this as much as you - probably moreso. They probably spend a huge amount of time as it is tracking and logging things for health and safety, and wearing hair nets. They'll want to figure out what it is and how it got there, so that they can continue wearing hair nets and writing down temperatures every half hour, and fire the person who came straight to work without showering after their fishing trip.

Take some photos of it, photograph the package with batch numbers/expiry dates, whatever, then stick the whole pack in the envelope they sent you. You can still send their envelope registered post if you want.

Well I sent the maggot off to them. I recieved a letter today saying they can't explain how "the object" got in the food and they'll be more careful in the future. They also sent me some vouchers.

They never refer to "the object" being a maggot. Should I just leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally I would. They've apologised and offered you some vouchers.

Although they should have a good manufacturing process, it is a fact of life that foreign objects do get in occasionally.

Also, maybe it wasn't a maggot? You'd need to send it off for analysis to be sure.

It's not a bad outcome, all in all.

Advertisement