Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing tomorow

Options
  • 30-03-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi there, im useless at reading the surf reports so if anyone could help!

It says theres a big swell off the 'dublin area' on magic seaweed but the actual wave will be knee high, will this be even slightly surfable? Which would be better, whiterock, brittas, maghermore?

I have all my gear ready to go if theres anything good to be had...i consider any surfable wave in dublin a bonus since i dont get to go west often!

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's going to be strong on / cross shore so I wouldn't be expecting much by way of quality - bray an the north end close to the harbour might be worth a look at low tide as it could clip some of the wind, or anywhere on the south side of a head land.

If you end up at MM be careful 3 or 4 beginners were pulled out to sea there before on a north swell and there is a bad rip onto the rocks at the south end if it's coming from the north.

Personally I wouldn't burn a days holidays for it.

Friday at MM about 1 could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Cheers man, friday would suit me alot better as iv only a few hours to spare on wednesday....ill keep an eye on it. What sort of conditions make MM surfable?

Im always watchin out for a good day here but never get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Wopp wrote: »
    Cheers man, friday would suit me alot better as iv only a few hours to spare on wednesday....ill keep an eye on it. What sort of conditions make MM surfable?

Im always watchin out for a good day here but never get it right!

It's best if the wind has been blown strong from the South SE or SW for a good few hours, is the wind banks west or is SW it'll be off shore or protected. Get there before or as soon as the wind dies it' s wind swell most of the time so as soon a the wind dies the swell starts to fades.

Check the M2 Bouy on met.ie and marine.ie met is updated first so is normally and hour a head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It's best if the wind has been blown strong from the South SE or SW for a good few hours, is the wind banks west or is SW it'll be off shore or protected. Get there before or as soon as the wind dies it' s wind swell most of the time so as soon a the wind dies the swell starts to fades.

Check the M2 Bouy on met.ie and marine.ie met is updated first so is normally and hour a head

Second that. Get out there as soon as the wind dies/weakens and catch whatever swell is left. I wouldn't advise surfing in these winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

@SpaceHopper:

Can you tell us more about these beginners that were swept out to sea at MM? e.g. nature of current that caught them, rip tide, etc. I missed that story, just curious about the circumstances.

Also there was a mention of Killiney potentially having waves yesterday evening - did anyone go, and if so, how was it? It's a rare occurrence to get surfable waves there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

HAve a look at some of the other posts regarding east coast surfing from way back. Basic rule is, dont surf MM on a northerly...its only ever relatively new surfers that tend to try it in those conditions cos they know no better and seem to have trouble spotting the rips from the cliff top at the beach..googel what a rip looks like would be a very simple way of getting an idea for how the currents potentially work....3 surfers were out and got brought around the head land, 2 got back and lifeboat got the other....few other spots work best on northerlys so just keep your eyes peeled for boards on the roofs when the wind is up

Advertisement