Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are pictures gone forever

• 30-03-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

When I was changing from XP to win 7 I forgot to save my pictures like the idiot I am,I thought my wife had alrady done this but she said she only did about half I should have checked with her first, is this death row for me,
    I still have copy of xp at home,could those pictures be anywhere.It was win 7ulimate .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Truthfully? Probably.
    You could try running something like free Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva) to try and gain some back but as Win7 can also format the drive during installation, it can also overwrite (with Win7 being placed there) the spaces where the pics were actually saved on the physical hard-drive.

Its definitely worth a try anyway, you might get lucky and recover some.
    I hope you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Windows 7 cannot upgrade from Vista. It needs to remove and recreate the entire OS, and thats a lot of disk activity (you need to minimise the amount of usage on the disk for the best chance of being able to recover files, particularly with non professional techniques).

If there were any modifications to the NTFS system between Windows XP and 7, or if Windows XP was installed on a FAT32 disk then it will need to have updated the file system also meaning there is less chance again that they would be recoverable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

photorec to an external hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Get in touch with criticaldata.ie, they will do a free analysis of the drive and tell you if they can get them back. It's expensive though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Look in your c: drive for a folder called windows.old, afaik your previous version of windows docs folder (inc pictures etc) are backed up here, this is provided you didnt format the xp partition when installing 7 (you just clicked use the hard drive listed and clicked next), if thats a no go its photorec time, just make sure to install anything onto a different hard drive, if you can download photorec onto a external drive & run if from there, as the more stuff written to the main hard drive the more chance of the photos been overwritten

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement