Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof holder for ipod / phone etc

• 30-03-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone got a good waterproof case that would hold a phone or an ipod? I know there's the option to just take out the crappy phone and leave the good one at home, but I don't want to keep killing phones even if they are cheap. Not to mention ipod's! Also I've given the plastic bags a go, but I don't like having to use 'em as they don't seem to work very well.

Ideally what I'm looking for is something that could hold an ipod touch and keep it bone dry with a little port for the audio cable.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Good outdoor gear shops should have them, especially ones that have a water sports or boating section, the dedicated ipod cases can be pretty expensive but more generic ones can be affordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Good outdoor gear shops should have them, especially ones that have a water sports or boating section, the dedicated ipod cases can be pretty expensive but more generic ones can be affordable.

Cheers, that's a great idea. I can also get to see if for fit etc in an actual shop. Might pop into The Great Outdoors shop off Grafton str at some stage soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have you actually killed a phone? I cycle with my phone in all weathers and have never damaged one. I have a plastic snap case of some description for my iPod Touch and similarly no problems. I doubt it would make any difference whether I had it on or not, it just keeps it from scratching. It is not waterproof.

blorg wrote: »
    Have you actually killed a phone? I cycle with my phone in all weathers and have never damaged one. I have a plastic snap case of some description for my iPod Touch and similarly no problems. I doubt it would make any difference whether I had it on or not, it just keeps it from scratching. It is not waterproof.

Yea, I had a 6230 (or something like that) up until a few weeks ago that was going strong then took it out on a mixed weather kind of day and the screen died (i was just in a plastic bag in back pocket under "waterproof" rain jacket), then it came back, brought it out with paper towels and two plastic bags around it and then died completely. I might have been more the sweat moisture than the rain, but either way it was the moisture & banging about the place that got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I have one of these, don't use it though so maybe you would be interested? Let me know, cheers! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

I know you say you don't like plastic bags but try freezer bags!! There brilliant. You can double up on them if ya want. I have been out in all weather and never had an issue with any rain with them. Best thing is you get boxes of 50 for about €3 or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Zip-lock bags all the way! You can even text away without taking it out of the bag when u stop for cake!

Maybe the zip-lock / freezer bags are worth a second look (I had been just tying a knot in a "normal" bag)... off to Tesco so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

72hundred wrote: »
    Maybe the zip-lock / freezer bags are worth a second look (I had been just tying a knot in a "normal" bag)... off to Tesco so!

While you are there check out the lunch bags.... I tellin ya they work .
    Hold my phone ipod money and key never fail to protect from the wet / damp. I think they come on roll of 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I've used a version of this aquapac for the last 4 year kayaking.
    Has kept my phone dry through total immersion in water.
    Starting to let in moisture at this stage, but more my fault for not storing it properly.
    They're stocked in Great Outdoors watersports section (behind Stock on Kings street-stephens green shopping centre) and I'm pretty sure 53 Degrees North have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

i use a 2euro shop one for my sailing when i train (dinghy i get very wet lol) they work very well. nice ans small defo fit phone/ipod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Zip-lock bags all the way! You can even text away without taking it out of the bag when u stop for cake!

+1 on the zip-lock bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭rflynnr

blorg wrote: »

I have also killed a phone sitting in my jersey back pocket with moisture: it was a fairly well-specced Sony and only a couple of months old. I don't even think it was a wet day so most (if not all) of the moisture must have been generated by yours truly. Since then it's been sandwich bags which have thus far coped fine (although I haven't been caught in anything truly biblical lately: I'm just waiting for "summer" downpours to kick in.)

Advertisement