Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 Hear we go again

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Looks like the N18 is going to be reduced to 1 lane each way again near the new flyover from next week. Hopefully it wont be as chaotic as last time. But with the inability of the irish to merge properly do I dout it

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=109853

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Shane Slv wrote: »
    Looks like the N18 is going to be reduced to 1 lane each way again near the new flyover from next week. Hopefully it wont be as chaotic as last time. But with the inability of the irish to merge properly do I dout it

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=109853

Is it going to be one way from the Sixmilebridge/Cratloe flyover until the Radisson? I am not familiar with the place names that the linkie uses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

ya the AA artical is a bit confusing alright. Id say it will be reduced to one lane just after setrights until just after the radisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cahermoyle is where the road from the Radisson meets the N18 and I assume the Sixmilebridge bridge interchange is the Portdrine, Cratloe, Sixmilebridge junction/flyover is.

ya id say thats it. It is a long section to be reduced to 1 lane. Iam expecting long delays.:(

Tis a right kick in the stones alright. Would traffic be heavy before 8am? Maybe I will start work at 7am instead, or I could try out the bítching new rail service from The Bridge to Limerick. Or I could pretend I am superman and fly to work. The possibilities are endless!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Merge. Shouldn't be any issues. It was fine the last time. :D

I just hope some people have learned lessons from last time, I am half tinking of taking the old cratloe road to avoid.

I just hope some people have learned lessons from last time

I doubt it. Nobody could accept the other side of the argument. It's going to take them a while. They even have a roundabout to build around 300 mtrs before the flyover so that's more annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

only half a roundabout to be built, if you slow down and look you can see the other half is built and at least partially surfaced...

Roundabouts, another thing irish drivers can't use. Id imagine that this new roundabout will be very busy during rush hour.

• Advertisement

Roundabouts, another thing irish drivers can't use. Id imagine that this new roundabout will be very busy during rush hour.

Not necessarily because when the road opens most people will use the tunnel and not need to use the roundabout.

The smaller roundabout at the Clondrinagh Industrial estate doesn't slow people down anyway.

i dont really know the layout for the tunnel, i assumed to access the tunnel you would have to use the roundabout.
    The quicker its all finished the better. I am sick of risking my life on that temporary duel-carrage way. Those corners are lethal.

And that clonmacken roundabout is madness at rush hour.

i dont really know the layout for the tunnel, i assumed to access the tunnel you would have to use the roundabout.
    The quicker its all finished the better. I am sick of risking my life on that temporary duel-carrage way. Those corners are lethal.

And that clonmacken roundabout is madness at rush hour.

http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMapInteractive.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I am sick of risking my life on that temporary duel-carrage way. Those corners are lethal.

They aren't corners, they are chicanes. And if they are good enough for race tracks then they are good enough for the drive home ;)

OP thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be leaving for work an hour earlier again

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Thanks a million for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Berty wrote: »
    Not necessarily because when the road opens most people will use the tunnel and not need to use the roundabout.

They might, if they weren't essentially charging €2 for it......paying €1.80 in fiddly change is suitably time-wasting to encourage the throwing in of €2.

It should have been €1 to encourage more people to use it.

e.g. 1,000 cars @ €1 vs 500 cars @ €2 = same difference.

I'd normally support a small toll to reflect the less-frustration/time saving/petrol saving, but I've no interest in paying €4 extra for a round-trip to Ennis on top of the existing increased road tax and €1.30+ per litre of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

They aren't corners, they are chicanes.
    Yup, I've managed to perfect the left-right flick in the van. :D And if you cut the corner (2 wheels just over the line on the right) in the first right hand kink (outside lane) coming out of Limerick, you can carry much more speed through there as well! Racing lines are fun...

What freaks me out the most though is the two segments of median that are out of alignment, and stand proud of the rest, into the outside lane. Some genius covered it with a heavy mat, but I don't think that'll do much good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Yea, its an high-impact absorbing mat though. :rolleyes:

The scary thing is, coming from the Shannon side in the slow lane is so rough I'm surprised that I haven't come across a bad accident there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

is it a bird, is it a plane?! NO! Its The return of the Blue Van man!!!

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Yup, I've managed to perfect the left-right flick in the van. :D And if you cut the corner (2 wheels just over the line on the right) in the first right hand kink (outside lane) coming out of Limerick, you can carry much more speed through there as well! Racing lines are fun...

Get a Toll Tag. No Change or stopping at all. Just take the Express Lane and sail on through.

When my old boss actually returns my Toll Tag to me it would be helpful.

• Advertisement

No sign of the road being reduced to single lane yet. Any further news on this development?

No sign of the road being reduced to single lane yet. Any further news on this development?

I'll find out for you tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What is traffic like on the dual carriage at about 7.40am? Ive started a new job since they went back to 2 lanes.

Melion wrote: »
    What is traffic like on the dual carriage at about 7.40am? Ive started a new job since they went back to 2 lanes.

Which direction are you going in? I go towards Limerick at that time every morning and it is a breeze all the way into town and onto the Dock Road, I never take too much notice of the opposite direction but it always seems to be moving fairly handy. If you hit the Condell Road after the Coonagh Roundabout after 8.10am then you start to meet all the school traffic and you crawl all the way into town from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sorry, heading out to Shannon.

Back into town after 8pm so wont be worrying about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Its still dual carriageway as of this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'll find out for you tomorrow.

Any word on them changing to 1 lane Berty?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any word on them changing to 1 lane Berty?

I got an e-mail from the Liaison officer this morning telling me that the Engineer will e-mail me later today and if he hasn't to e-mail him back so Im afraid nothing so far.
    Dear ______,

I acknowledge receipt of your query below. I have referred same to the contractor and asked for response to issue promptly. Should you not hear further from that source by the end of the day, you might please advise me.

Yours sincerely,

Seamus Hayes

Project Liaison Officer

Limerick Tunnel PPP Scheme

Site Office

Bunlicky

Dock Road

Limerick

Tel (061)583855

Fax. (061)583852

EMail seamus.hayes@ltppp.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I got an e-mail from the Liaison officer this morning telling me that the Engineer will e-mail me later today and if he hasn't to e-mail him back so Im afraid nothing so far.

I took a leaf out of your book Berty, here is the email response i received:

The contractor has advised that this has been re-scheduled somewhat as follows:

12 April: Southbound traffic restricted to single lane from Sixmilebridge junction to south of the Radisson to facilitate gantry installation. After c. 2 weeks the length of single lane will be reduced to start at Cratloe Castle.

20 April: Northbound traffic diverted onto single lane of new slip road under the bridge between Cratloemoyle roundabout and the existing N18.

Regards,
    Seamus Hayes
    Project Liaison Officer
    Limerick Tunnel PPP Scheme
    Site Office
    Bunlicky
    Dock Road
    Limerick
    Tel (061)583855 (061)583855
    Fax. (061)583852
    EMail seamus.hayes@ltppp.ie

• Advertisement

It's good you posted it because I'm away at interview and the iPhone is a disaster for trying to copy and paste.

I got the exact reply.

Advertisement