Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy has horrendously smelly wind!

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My pug puppy is 9 weeks old. But for the past few days shes been having terribly smelly wind/farts. Plus, sometimes they are noisy too! She isnt eating anything except her dry puppy food and water. Is this normal for puppies??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Is it a super market brand ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

hehe our pup is 9 months next week and sometimes when he farts and it makes a sound he gets a fright and looks at his bum like hes thinking 'omg what was that!??!' :D

Anyhoos it could mean that the food isn't agreeing with her - what is she on? If it's pedigree puppy (thats what our guy was on when we got him) then you should wean her off it by mixing in a better quality food over a week or two. We tried a few different brands with our guy and stuck with Royal Canin because James Wellbeloved gave him stinky farts and Hills gave him the runs.
    In our case really stinky farts mean the puppy is going to get the runs - so straight onto rice and chicken for him. :(

EDIT- just to add if you are going to change the food buy small bags until you're happy with it- don't go buying 15kg bags etc to save a few quid until your 100% happy with the food or you'll be left with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

tk123 wrote: »
    hehe our pup is 9 months next week and sometimes when he farts and it makes a sound he gets a fright and looks at his bum like hes thinking 'omg what was that!??!' :D

ha ha so cute!!!!

My pup LOVES to fart in my face when I let her on my bed. nothing makes her happier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My pug puppy is 9 weeks old. But for the past few days shes been having terribly smelly wind/farts. Plus, sometimes they are noisy too! She isnt eating anything except her dry puppy food and water. Is this normal for puppies??

If it is a cheap brand food there could be a high cereal content which can cause gas. Try moving her to a higher quality food with meat as its main ingredient.
    If you are already on a good quality food try adding a spoonful of natural yoghurt to her food, it will increase the good bacteria in your pups gut therefore increasing the digestion of her food and decreasing the amount of gas created.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Ya our oldest dog has had VERY smell farts since she was put on a diet, she is on Burn's High Oats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If your dog has regular bad wind then the food its on or whats its being fed is not agreeing with it so i would advise you change it, but make sure its done gradually so you dont upset the tummy too much.

Has the pup got the runs too?

What brand of food is it on at the mo ? Young pups like this need a good quality complete food.

If you let us know what food its getting at the moment we should be able to advise you what to feed instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

my two STINK!!!! they'l have a game of tug-of-war and one of them will leave one out! or chewing a bone with thier bum in the air and you'l hear it! or just lyin on the couch or bed!! we'v jus learned to laugh about it and try not to smell it!! easier said than done! its d worst smell ever. no matter what food they on they do it. they were wormed couple weeks ago so all clear there. they are on Burn's chicken and rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

trumping isn't a bad thing - not trumping is though - wouldn't worry about it unless the pup develops the runs

http://www.pediatriconcall.com/Kidscorner/whywhat/what_is_a_fart.aspx
    When we eat, we also swallow air. Also, when the food gets digested in the intestines, gas is produced. These gases when passed out through the intestine form the anus into the air are called farts. The gases that make farts smell bad contain ammonia and hydrogen sulfide which are made in the intestine.

also look here http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=004eoY
    Although the population of bacteria fluctuates depending on diet, and the use of antibiotics, bacteria can make up to 50% of the weight of fecal material. These bacteria feed on indigestible carbohydrates. These bacteria produce a variety of gases during the digestion of these carbohydrates, including methane, hydrogen, and hydrogen sulfide. Although methane makes up the bulk of the gas, hydrogen sulfide causes the bad smell. On average, each person produces 500 - 1000 mL of flatulence every day. However, eating a food with large amounts of indigestible carbohydrates (green beans and baked potato), plus a food high in sulfites (salmon) could potentially produce more (and more noticable) gas than normal.

is the pup on any kind of millk?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Thanks for all the tips folks!

She is currently on Royal Canine science puppy food. I thought it was the best brand as far as ingredients go. No milk or anything else in her food.

She doesnt have the runs, and it full of energy (sometimes I think she is possesed!)

Maybe farting is normal for pugs??

I make sure to ask the vet on tuesday when she goes for her 2nd injections. Until then clothes pegs on the nose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

I would watch her when she eats, as she might be eating way too fast and swallowing air with her food, which will cause bloatiness and farts XD

If she is eating too fast, you can help slow her down by only feeding her really small amounts at a time - and making sure she's had some playtime/walk before hand so she'll take her time. If shes on the royal canin dry stuff you can also either hand feed her for a bit, or better yet but her meal portion into a kong which will definitly slow her down (plus would be fun) to see if it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

She is currently on Royal Canine science puppy food. I thought it was the best brand as far as ingredients go.
    it is one of the best but it may just be acase that it does not agree with your pup:confused:

maybe try mixing a bit of rice in to see if it settles her tummy - it usually works for our guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

I have noticed that she is inhaling her food. It doesnt even seem like she chews it! Maybe this is adding to the wind. I will try the small portions at a time and see if this helps.

You can buy ball things in the pet shop to stop the puppy doing this. We just use one of our pups ball type toys and it works just as well - he used to be the same gulping the food down but he takes his time when the ball is in his bowl.

Advertisement