Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain and cassette corrosion

• 30-03-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I purchased a new bike in Dec, it didn't move from the turbo until Feb, so not too many miles on the clock yet.

Already there is corrosion on the chain and cassette. Upon flagging this to the bike shop, their response was 'this is normal'.

Should there be corrosion on the parts already? My experience of corrosion on other types on items are it takes a period of time. Are bike components different?
    I have oiled the parts every few weeks. Bike is stored in a shed.

Could it be a fault with the parts? Do I/Should I have any comeback with the bike shop?

Am I barking out of order?

Cheers,

NT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hi folks,

I purchased a new bike in Dec, it didn't move from the turbo until Feb, so not too many miles on the clock yet.

Already there is corrosion on the chain and cassette. Upon flagging this to the bike shop, their response was 'this is normal'.

Should there be corrosion on the parts already? My experience of corrosion on other types on items are it takes a period of time. Are bike components different?
    I have oiled the parts every few weeks. Bike is stored in a shed.

Could it be a fault with the parts? Do I/Should I have any comeback with the bike shop?

Am I barking out of order?

Cheers,

NT

I have identified the problem captain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

When you say corrosion, do you mean rust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Assuming your cassette is aluminium then it won't be corroded - it's just rust that's rubbed off your chain.

If you chain isn't properly looked after it'll rust within days (or even hours). Road-salt is particularly unkind to them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Any chain and cassette will rust if you don't wipe it down after washing or riding in the rain.
    Morgan wrote: »
    Assuming your cassette is aluminium then it won't be corroded - it's just rust that's rubbed off your chain.

Aluminium cassettes???:eek: Is that what you mountain bikers are riding these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

el tonto wrote: »
    Aluminium cassettes???:eek: Is that what you mountain bikers are riding these days?

Feck - total brain fade. That's what I get for missing my 9pm bedtime....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Morgan wrote: »
    If you chain isn't properly looked after it'll rust within days (or even hours).
    This is very true; I once left a chain overnight to dry after degreasing. Completely rusty in the morning.

To be honest what you describe does sound normal. Chains and cassettes are made of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, I had a chain rust within hours after a winter trip to Howth. Cycled home about 6 hours later and all I heard was grinding, got off and looked down, saw that it was already showing spots of rust.

Conditions are key, like Morgan said if you cycle on winter roads or near the sea, be extra vigilant. Also, humidity is important. A garden shed is probably a slightly moist environment anyway. Wipe down the chain and relube often.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like it is normal afterall.

To follow on from this, what do you guys use to lubricate your chains, cassettes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Winter/Commuter:

WMB79.gt_bio.p_finishline-399-75.jpg

Summer:

finish-line-tef-plus-med.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Last summer:

WMB79.gt_bio.p_finishline-399-75.jpg

There, fixed that for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There, fixed that for you...
    Great stuff.
    Just make sure and wipe off any excess.
    Ruined a chain by not doing this, ended up with inches of grime on my chain.
    Took an hour to get off.

Advertisement