Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting video on dog/cat food

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭

Been doing some research on "Raw" diets for my dogs, came across this video. Its pretty interesting, what do you guys think about it ? Part of me thinks alot of this is true.

Either way, it seems that a natural diet is the way forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think until I see a coordinated study with a proper control group, conducted by a bunch of qualified animal nutritionists and veterinary surgeons, that compares raw diets, commercial dry only diets, commercial wet only diets, and various combinations of the three, taking place over sufficient time to monitor the animal's health, comparing the effects of each diet on things like the animal's teeth, urinary system, immune system, internal organs, joints, eyesight and general blood work, I've given up believing what I hear on the internet regarding raw diets.

I spent months doing as much internet-based research as I possibly could on raw feeding for my cats, and came to the conclusion it was the blind leading the blind. The only thing most of the opinons had in common is that they came from people who owned a cat, but didn't have a degree in animal nutrition or veterinary science.

"I know I'm doing the right thing because my animals LOOK healthy and I've been feeding them this way for 10 years" is not a guarantee that they don't all have serious imbalances that are slowly killing them.

You can come out of the research period more confused than when you went in - incidentally I feed my cats a mixture of high-end dry kibble, high-end commercial wet food and human-grade raw meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Interesting, but looks like a big advert to me.

Advertisement