Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP,ECDL,COMPUTERS WHICH IS THE BEST?

• 30-03-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

And why is it the best and what you do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

LCVP is a bit annoying with a tough exam but you can get up to 70 points from it. Its handy in that way.
    EDCL is boring but is handy to have on your CV. I did ECDL but couldn't handle it because it was too tedious.
    Computers is computers, do pretty much you want to do that is within the school rules.

I would pick LCVP because you can get a few points out of it which could help you and it isn't as boring as ECDL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

cool tanx

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

It's rare to get a distinction in LCVP. My school has never got one. Will my year be the exception? Probably not. :p

But if you do the work you should be guaranteed a merit - 50 points - pretty handy!

ECDL is soul destroying. Good to have though.

Merit?

Yep. The grades of LCVP are:

Distinction - 70 points
    Merit - 50 points
    Pass - 30 points
    Fail - big fat 0!

Most people who put in the work get the merit.

• Advertisement

ory!

i want to do photography/journalism/radio presenting
    wat should i pick?

ory!wat should i pick?

Your nose!

:p

Do what ever you want...:D LCVP I would suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ory!

i want to do photography/journalism/radio presenting
    wat should i pick?

LCVP because points is points at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Sirpineapple

Why not do both? or do lcvp now and ecdl after school.

I did ecdl in transition year. If you're into computers it should be no problem to you. apart from access , I still don't undertand it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I got my ECDL during 4th and it was very easy.
    In the middle of LCVP.
    Its not difficult.
    Some think its a waste.
    However, I found it good for researching future options and improving your CV!

I (currently) recommend LCVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Do ECDL and learn how to properly use Office, it's handy to know, especially if you're going to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

ECDL is mind numbingly boring but very useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I do not recommend LCVP at all. Fine if you think you wont get the points elsewhere, but otherwise its a complete waste. I really regret doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

For some people LCVP is a complete waste of time, because they're not doing any OL subjects and aren't going to get less than a C1 in one of their HL subjects. If you're one of those people, I wouldn't bother with it, it'd just be more study and project work. Even if you do do it, it seems to be quite hard to get a distinction in, so you mightn't even get 70 points out of it. I didn't do LCVP, ECDL would be far more useful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I did it thinking it'd be easy to get the 70 points if you did a bit for it at all like - sur how hard could it be like :rolleyes:

turns out it's very cop on easy but is marked really hard and you have to nail everything on the head - it's achievable but you have to know what they want to see - you can't wing it despite the papers looking soooooo easy when you see them

projects and reports and all that can be tedious to do up as well but a bit of effort and help from your teacher and you can make a pretty good report..

personally I'd have rather done ECDL because I intend to do it at some point anyways and I'd rather have got it out of the way in school rather than out of school - because I feel like I know enough to do the exam in ECDL or whatever and pass already lol - I've looked at the course and from other people who've done it there's not a whole lot I'd have to learn

Computers - that sounds like a doss tbh so I'd avoid that - you have all evening to use boards and facebook etc etc - don't waste your school day too lol :P

Advertisement