Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Is anyone taking a gap year after the Leaving? Any ideas of what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Sitting beside the dumpster at Tesco drinking a can of Dutch Gold p'raps? I'm joking of course. Gap years can be very beneficial.

Am I taking one? No. If I were taking taking one? I'd travel the world and the seven seas. Or America. I haven't decided yet. May take one after college!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Snas wrote: »
    Is anyone taking a gap year after the Leaving? Any ideas of what to do?

Maybe find somewhere for you and your girlfriend out of the way of her mother :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Maybe find somewhere for you and your girlfriend out of the way of her mother :pac:
    :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

IMO, they're only worth it if you actually have something to do. Sitting around bored all year, in pubs and whatnot, will only serve to show you what unemployment is like.

I haven't taken a gap year though nor do I plan to, all this is my opinion/speculation...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

To be honest the only way you should take a gap year is if you plan on living in another country,doing charity work or getting a full time job.If you just end up mopping around the house and doing a part time job to pay for beer it'll be visible when you apply for a job after collage and they see you spent a year of your life sitting around doing **** all.I don't think any employer would be encouraged by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Speaking as someone who's technically on one right now, unless you have definite things happening, a job, travelling, Fás course, whatever.. don't do it if you just have 'plans'. I've been jobseeking since November, and the only volunteer work I've been accepted to do is ridiculously far away. There's nothing worse than sitting at home while your friends are in college. Except war and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

gant0 wrote: »
    To be honest the only way you should take a gap year is if you plan on living in another country,doing charity work or getting a full time job.If you just end up mopping around the house and doing a part time job to pay for beer it'll be visible when you apply for a job after collage and they see you spent a year of your life sitting around doing **** all.I don't think any employer would be encouraged by that.

Not necessarily. There could be a number of reasons why someone didn't go to college straight away. Plus, it's not like you list every year of your life and what you did during those years on your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Unless you've got some travelling in mind, I'm afraid that's a concept that went out the window with the celtic tiger.

Advertisement