Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is best time to buy airline tickets?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

My family and I are off to Albania in August. We booked flights on Saturday and got the tickets for €474 each. Today we re-checked again and they were €409. Also ebookers.ie Visa card charge disappeared today? It was €25 on Saturday and €0.15 today.

So in general, when's the best time to buy tickets (is there a particular day in the week?) and what is the story with the Visa charge changing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭hargo

ebookers seem to be more expensive at the weekend for flights and .ie is more expensive than .com from flights i've checked with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Nice one, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the .com site now and see if there's a difference. The damn problem is we've booked the tickets, but it might actually work out cheaper to cancel (and pay penalties) and re-book. I doubt they like that but they bring it on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Most people think about booking or do book holidays from Friday - Sat - Sun -Mon. Thus, the prices are generally more expensive on these days. It's not as pronounced here [but is noticeable - maybe 10%] but in the USA you're advised to book on Tuesdays and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

What bastards, unfortunately the tickets are booked now and cancelling will incur a 50% reduction on each ticket refund and a €45 administration charge per ticket. Today the prices are in aroun €380, a €100 reduction from the weekend. That's enormous and it makes me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Shop around!

ebookers.ie can be particularly expensive. I booked flights to Japan last year with ebookers.fr and it was €300 cheaper than with ebookers.ie. (Exact same flights).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

Hmm. Thats a bit strange. Ive only really know the price of flights to go up.
    Most airlines have x amount of seats at a set price. When that demand is met the price tends to increase.

I really dont think booking on a certain day of the week makes any differences but i could be wrong.

Research, Research, Research before buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If you do Hotel and flights together ebookers can be great value, except don't dream of trying to change anything as they are very Ryanairesque in this.

Advertisement