Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trinity history interview

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi all

ive my interview as a mature student comin up in april.

any mature students any tips for me ?
    any questions you were asked ?
    what to wear ?

anythin at all !!!

muchas gracias

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

A few general pointers but not specific to that department;
    • Show a bit of enthusiasm for the subject.
    • Read as much as you can about the department and the course; specifically the kind of subjects you'll be doing.
    • Think about which subjects you might find challenging and why; and how you would respond to those challenges... specifically if you have been "out of the game" for a long time.
    • Think about what it is you want from your time in university as they're likely to ask you.
    • Think about why it is you want to study at Trinity specifically; ideally not just because it's easy for you to get to.

I think at the end of the day the approach your interviewers may take will depend entirely on the general uptake for the course. If there's a lot of competition they'll be interested in gauging how passionate you are for the subject and how likely it might be you'll contribute something to the department in terms of possible research or graduate study down the line.

Conversely if there's not much competition for places they're probably just interested in figuring out if you'll be capable and diligent enough to actually cope with the course; and subsequently finish it.

It might be worth posting up on the Mature Student forum also; you might get some more tips.

EDIT: Oh and since you're not going to find many academics or students swanning around in formal wear (well, not ALL the time at least); you should probably just adopt a business casual approach. If you walk into your interview in a suit and tie you're not really going to be giving them the student vibe; but a smart business casual getup will at least show them you've made an effort and want to make a reasonably good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jennebean

Thanks a mil for advice, I met with some mature students last wk who had their interviews this time last yr so they also gave me great advice ,
    I got another interview in trinity so I'm delighted one is tomorrow and one is Tuesday so I'm very excited ,

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerbdog123

hi jennebean,

have my interveiw coming up in may was just wondering what q's they panel were asking and cant make my mind up about the suit or casual?

Kerbdog123 wrote: »
    hi jennebean,

have my interveiw coming up in may was just wondering what q's they panel were asking and cant make my mind up about the suit or casual?

I thought interviews wud b well over by then I have a thread up in tcd and mature student form bout my interview , one interview was one person history was panel of 2, what's your subjects ?

I'd say shirt but not suit I wore a black dress just smart but not ott there is no point in going in uncomfortable it's daunting enough wit out sweatin in a suit , the guy that went in b4 me for history wore a suit tie n all , guy I seen at religion interview wore shirt n dark jeans girls wore dresses weathers great at mo n it is hot hot hot ESP under pressure ,

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerbdog123

hi again,
    thank you for the info im going to study in letterfrack, its a BA in design and technology education (woodwork teacher)

p.s whats the tcd form and how can i get locate it to veiw the Q's that you were asked?

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882831

thats the link for the interview thread

if u look at top of screen u will see a list of words click on edu then click on tcd or mature /mon standard applicants n theres loads of stuff there too :)

hey all
    bloke in my class got an offer in maynooth last wk and got an offer for trinity yesterday so its obviously starting anyone else any news i am so stressed out about this .

got my letter and im on the reserve list dont know where i am on it but theres still a teeny tiny chance i might get in but i have been offered a place in ucd so all is not lost !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

jennebean wrote: »
    got my letter and im on the reserve list dont know where i am on it but theres still a teeny tiny chance i might get in but i have been offered a place in ucd so all is not lost !!

You poor thing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

In fairness the history department in UCD is quite good so I wouldn't worry too much about it! We had a couple of professors come over from there to give us lectures this year and they were very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement